Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Handy Don
46 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

antique white or Navajo white?

Either way is a winner. Personally I like the Navajo better, but to each their own!

1 hour ago, Heatingman said:

decided to build a prototype deck stand

Ok, that is a HUGELY clever idea which I plan to copy!

Only improvement I can imagine would be if it mounted and unmounted the deck for you! :lol:

• Like 2

ohiofarmer
23 hours ago, Heatingman said:

Picked up that Original Cub. Welded one of the non-oem fender brackets back together.

Then began reasonably of the deck for my B80. Greasing every link and wear surface point as I go. 

Turns out they have the same motor, the fenders are not original, and neither are the lights. Put that one in storage till I get my B80 back together. The blades will be last so its less likely I get cut during the process. Sharpened them the same way I sharpen my wood planes, so …

Should be getting the rest of the deck assembled tomorrow, and get started on the plow reassembly. 

Oh and I ordered a poly wear bar for the plow.

F1DAC690-1E2A-40D4-A0E9-37CE0A0C5D63.jpeg

5C16CBC7-3398-4495-8ED1-C26DE9FB1857.jpeg

Dad bought an original cadet and it did not come with fenders at all. i did see fenders in the catalog advert literature.

Heatingman
29 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Dad bought an original cadet and it did not come with fenders at all. i did see fenders in the catalog advert literature.

Yes, this one would have came without fenders, but perhaps you had the option to have them if you wanted. The OEM ones looked alot like the RJ series wheelhorse ones. Its possible the fenders where not available till 62 or 63.

Not certain. 

I’ll probably try and find some when I get to working on it. But lots of mechanical work, and figuring out a way to create a PTO release, as this machine does not have one. 

ohiofarmer
1 hour ago, Heatingman said:

Yes, this one would have came without fenders, but perhaps you had the option to have them if you wanted. The OEM ones looked alot like the RJ series wheelhorse ones. Its possible the fenders where not available till 62 or 63.

Not certain. 

I’ll probably try and find some when I get to working on it. But lots of mechanical work, and figuring out a way to create a PTO release, as this machine does not have one. 

The PTO release on Dad's mower was a foot engagement pedal right on the mower deck. These mowers had a completely square deck and your deck does not look quite correct..Also the decks had a timing belt so the blades would not hit each other. the deck was a 38"

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

@8ntruck

The Paint Department and I have had 60s rear wheels off and the inside that had never seen sun was a dead match for Rust-Oleum 2X Navajo White. 

That's what we use on all our off-white pieces. Wheels. Seats. Engines. Stripes. Etc. 

@Handy Don is certainly correct about the owner's opinion being the one that counts the most. 

We both prefer the lighter shades of off-white. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

We were up in your neck of the woods for vacation!

Geez Man you oughtta head right back up here for the Sept 10th Meet n Greet!! 

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

antique white or Navajo white?

953 nut
8 hours ago, Heatingman said:

Optional round fenders and a square deck.

Bringing back the 1961 Cub Cadet "Original" - YouTube

• Like 2

peter lena

@Heatingman  deck looks sweet , did you upgrade those spindles ?  cut  a  2 x 12 scrap hunk for a  angular deck prop up , similar ,but smaller  when I  clean and oil soak my  deck s , holds up right up to the sun . deck gets hot , and sucks in the oil . pete

• Like 1

peter lena

@Heatingman  deck looks sweet , did you upgrade those spindles ?  cut  a  2 x 12 scrap hunk for a  angular deck prop up , similar ,but smaller  when I  clean and oil soak my  deck s , holds up right up to the sun . deck gets hot , and sucks in the oil . pete

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

peter lena

@Cee245 NICE CLEAN UP ON THE PAINT !  was that a lubrication rub down ? looks deep and clean , pete

• Thanks 1

Forrest Carver

Yesterday I removed the mower deck and installed the rototiller. My driveway is in pretty rough shape and I took a notion to try flattening the hump with the tiller by skimming over the top layer. Well, it actually worked pretty well. I took a little break, but when I started again the PTO would not engage. I tried restarting a few times and eventually it did start to spin, but only in fits and spurts, and with very little power. The belt is very tight and makes a pretty bad noise when I spin it by hand (like a really dry screen door opening) but I don't see that being the cause. Seems like maybe a worn PTO clutch? Any ideas?

Heatingman
36 minutes ago, peter lena said:

Thank you and Yes, I installed new spindle bearings. This type unfortunately is not serviceable. I still have the old ones, so I may see what I can do with them, but as of yet, have not figured out how the spindles are assembled. 

This is the spindle bearing style:

BBF65466-C005-4C52-9A57-D989753BEFD5.png

• Like 1

peter lena

@Heatingman you did what you could do on the old style , did also repack my mule drive bearings , those are easy , anything you can do to relieve the inherent  drag on the drive is what I went after , like that deck idler pulley , looks like after mkt , wider side grease shields , opportunity .  just me , pete 

Heatingman
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Heatingman you did what you could do on the old style , did also repack my mule drive bearings , those are easy , anything you can do to relieve the inherent  drag on the drive is what I went after , like that deck idler pulley , looks like after mkt , wider side grease shields , opportunity .  just me , pete 

I will definitely do that, the tractor itself is next up for repaint, and reassembly. 

Probably gonna put the plow back together today, then finish disassembly of the tractor.

Had to make room first.

By the way, how are the 7” titan deck wheels working out? 

• Like 1

Pullstart
11 hours ago, Heatingman said:

@Andy N. Did that e tank remove paint too? Or just rust?

And what fluid? Just food preservation grade vinegar?

This thread might help… but WASHING Soda is my go-to with water.

• Like 1

squonk
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

This is an "original Original" that I had. Should have kept it. :(

1336636220_cub(3).jpg.ecbf713bf47d27fcce7e0dba01ab4ad3.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

@Heatingman   7 " wheels  are good , no issues , think the shallow round grove tread , is a smoother / gliding  roll ,  notice no turning  wheel bite , just a smooth glide.  when you put that plow together , elevate it off the floor / ground , like red aerosol grease , extension tube for that steering quadrant area , total clean out , make that slide lever pin , slide like a rifle bolt , use a paint can or milk crate to let it suspend and function . use elastic lock nuts on welded bolt thru areas , that way , you can " sweet spot " bolt tension , and elastic nut , hold it . just tweaked every function , hanging like it would on the horse , also aerosol penetrating oiled it  , worked like snot on a door knob , know you can relate to that ,  do that  to everything  , just eliminating issues  , pete  

WHGuy413
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Geez Man you oughtta head right back up here for the Sept 10th Meet n Greet!! 

I would if I could. That’s a big weekend for us with my sons baseball starting back up and I’m busy at the fire station for the annual emergency services parade hosted by our local fair.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

I would if I could. That’s a big weekend for us with my sons baseball starting back up and I’m busy at the fire station for the annual emergency services parade hosted by our local fair.

That's cool stuff!! 

Pullstart

Used Chloe the 953 to help unload a delivery from my uncle today.  We’ll be putting these Q200 Buck Huts up soon.  The tires were kind of flat in the bottom with close to 1,000 lbs on the trailer, so I aired them up from 4 psi to 45 psi.

12B5897F-C6A7-4E58-AFD2-DE03CB57D974.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Well I hooked up a 753 to a small tub too Kev... :lol:

20220829_154126.jpg

Just for the halibut and to make sure the new to me spare cover matched. Didn't figure the tongue jack would go that low but it did. Just used it to move to mow underneath. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1