Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, RonnieB2nd said:

You must be down south with me LOL mine are opening too and I fired up the Wheel Horse and John Deere this past week..I'm new to the WH game and its a whole other animal compared to these junky tractors made today

You just wait.  

Try using a Horse a few times. 

You'll be more and more impressed every occasion.  

You should be warned though.....

Hair covered horses seem to run in herds.  

For some reason many of us find that paint covered Horses are the same.  

Not like me n my ball n chain are addicted to collecting Horses though.....

:hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Got the Sundstrand transmission that was in the 70 Charger Hydro split open. 

I'll take out the innerds and set em aside. 

I'm keeping the Limited Slip Differential to install in something else later. 

Also keeping the case to use as a welding jig. It's no good for tractor usage.  

If anyone wants anything else lemme know...

IMG_20220225_160711368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220225_160720903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220225_160743391_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

RonnieB2nd
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You just wait.  

Try using a Horse a few times. 

You'll be more and more impressed every occasion.  

You should be warned though.....

Not like me n my ball n chain are addicted to collecting Horses though.....

I am finding these things Highly addictive...I had/have my 520H up for trades or selling but I am seriously having 2nd thoughts...I'm not a gear head like a lot of you guys, but I can turn a wrench for basic stuff. The guy I bought my WH from is pestering me to get it back. He also has another WH 400 something, maybe 418? it has a briggs engine and looks like new. He's asking 800 and Im sort of kicking around the idea of buying it too or trading him this Deere for it...I know Im a noob, but this 520 has amazed me at every turn. It took some getting used to for sure but the more I learn, the more I enjoy it..There's just something about this things that I love

:hide:

• Like 2

RonnieB2nd

Here's my gal 

Screenshot_20220225-164513_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro
On 2/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, kpinnc said:

Congrats! That's the same style rear fender I'm using for mine.

I used the same fender for our c-145. I haven’t seen to many good plastic fenders. Mine wasn’t to bad but I know the metal are much tougher. Lol

• Like 1

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, RonnieB2nd said:

Here's my gal 

Ours are much older. 

Trina has 3 from 1966, 67. 

I have a 74 and a 75 along with 2 other '74 projects and a custom. 

They're great tractors. 

Reliable. 

Easy to repair and maintain. 

Rugged.  

• Like 1

Treepep

One last little thing for my GT-14 arrived today.  Not necessary however pretty happy with it.  A 3D printed reproduction center cap insert.  I still need to go back through the Carburetor.  Otherwise in good shape.  Mr Lincoln @A-Z Tractor (many thanks)  sent me some gently used tie rod ends and the correct 3 spoke steering wheel with center cap.  Is a Carb kit difficult to come by?  Is that a question for another section?  Thanks to you all.  It has been enjoyable.  I need another project now I think:handgestures-thumbsup:

1645909636008_1645909631915_1645909608262_image000000.jpg

Edited by Treepep
It is a center cap insert not just a center cap. I apologize
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Treepep said:

Is a Carb kit difficult to come by?  Is that a question for another section?

It's fine to post questions here but they can get lost in the shuffle easily. 

Being a carb question it could certainly be dropped in "Engine". 

As to availability for the carb kit ....

Get right back to Lincoln at A to Z. 

He should have one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Got the 1970 Sundstrand Hydro disassembly finished up. 

It had good wheel and axle bearings so I harvested them. 

IMG_20220226_162842123.jpg

IMG_20220226_162847673.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc
On 2/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, ebinmaine said:

Both kinds can multiply too!

I swear I had only two when I started collecting!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

I had only two when I started collecting

Ut-oh… I’ve got two !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

Ut-oh… I’ve got two !

Better get them fixed! :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

Chestnut
On 2/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, lynnmor said:

See that rust on the pin?  Put a drop of oil on the pins and the hoop ends.

See that wear on the end of the bell?  I have seen that a number of times, it comes from failed pins or the clip on the shaft.

While you have the oil can out, put a drop of oil on the governor shaft on the opposite side of the engine.

that bracket is for the belt guard that is missing.

Oiled the  two spots mentioned and got a chance to try it out today. Everything went fine.

I got a chance before the snow came to look in the lean-to for the missing guard. Not there. It was listed for a bit over $20 including tax and shipping from a supplier I've used before. Toro's site said it was out of stock. I ordered anyway just to see. They took the order, but I got an email back saying they didn't have it in stock, would look in regional warehouses and get back to me with a delivery date. We'll see.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, JCM said:

@Chestnut  FYI   Blower belt should be on the outside groove of your PTO pulley. Inner groove for tiller and mower.

Changed to the outer groove before getting out today. Blower worked fine. Didn't throw as far as I expected but I didn't get out until it warmed up this afternoon

I have a couple more comments/questions. 

I know lots of people on the site have a preference for lube on things like the clip mentioned above and I'd like to hear them. Confession next. first I sprayed with PB Blaster, then decided I needed something a bit more permanent. Couldn't find my can of 3 in 1, so I used the only thing I had with a dropper tip. Hydraulic jack oil. it'll keep the parts moving and rust at bay for a while. 

After doing my snow removal I decided the motion control lever was a little balky going forward. Gave all the pivot points the same lube treatment and it was much better. Even with the hand motion control working well the hands are pretty busy blowing snow. Chute control, speed control, and steering. I need an extra hand! Interested in comments about the foot controls. I have other tractors with foot speed controls but cost of the conversion has been a sticking point for me. Do people who've done the conversion think it's worthwhile?

This is the second 520H in the stable and I really don't have a lot of seat time in either. This one had a lot of questionable repairs and I'm working through the issues as I find them.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
19 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Better get them fixed! :rolleyes:

I was about to say “working on it”… then I caught on…:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Oiled the  two spots mentioned and got a chance to try it out today. Everything went fine.

I got a chance before the snow came to look in the lean-to for the missing guard. Not there.

I know lots of people on the site have a preference for lube on things like the clip mentioned above and I'd like to hear them. Confession next. first I sprayed with PB Blaster, then decided I needed something a bit more permanent. Couldn't find my can of 3 in 1, so I used the only thing I had with a dropper tip. Hydraulic jack oil. it'll keep the parts moving and rust at bay for a while. 

After doing my snow removal I decided the motion control lever was a little balky going forward. Gave all the pivot points the same lube treatment and it was much better. Even with the hand motion control working well the hands are pretty busy blowing snow. Chute control, speed control, and steering. I need an extra hand! Interested in comments about the foot controls. I have other tractors with foot speed controls but cost of the conversion has been a sticking point for me.

The guard doesn't offer a lot of protection, so it isn't a big worry if you can't find one.  It is just a bent piece of sheet metal if you want to make one.

I use motor oil to lube those places, chain oil might last longer.

The motion control doesn't bother me, I would rather not have a cobbled together foot control covered in snow with compromised safety switches.  31 years and the hand control hasn't been an issue.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

sprayed with PB Blaster

Stepping up...

:soapbox:

In my vast and worldly experience that product is less capable than most. There are several good usable penetrating oils and that's none of them. 

I use Liquid Wrench, Kroil, WD-40 PENETRATING OIL (not the old formula). 

I've heard/read good things about ATF and acetone 1:1, Paraffin. 

Stepping down...

😀

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I need an extra hand! Interested in comments about the foot controls. I have other tractors with foot speed controls but cost of the conversion has been a sticking point for me. Do people who've done the conversion think it's worthwhile?

First the disclaimer: I haven't operated a Wheelhorse with a foot control...yet. 

The industrial lifts I use at work all have 4 limbs in use all the time. 

I'd be interested in PROPERLY converting my '75 C160 Automatic to a Right-foot directional controlled machine. 

As @lynnmor notes above, safety is paramount over ease and convenience.

If I do a foot control on mine I'll keep all the original hand lever mechanism in place and fully functional.  

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Any Red Square members have pictures of a 1045 with a HY-2 Hein Werner pump hooked up on your tractor???  Here are some pics of Rodney Burger’s 1045.

E23D1B41-6C1B-457B-8640-1FC1CCB1D665.jpeg

11B63BE0-C3EF-4E24-9EAF-586C42BC2E5D.jpeg

1803C297-19A0-4695-8813-938E84187342.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Do people who've done the conversion think it's worthwhile?

I have added a foot control to all three of my tractors.   The 312, 417, and 520 all have the Eaton 1100 with the factory hand control still functional.   I simply added a rod attaching the hand lever to a right foot pedal and removed any nuetral detant systems.         For the 5 confined driveways I maintain, the foot control is a necessity as I constanlyt need to reverse direction. and lift the plow or blower.    For longer open roads and driveways, the gear drive or hand control hydros would work fine.

All my hydros have the hand control on the console tunnel which makes it easy to add the foot control.  It would not work on a tractor with the control lever on the steering shaft.

Of all the mods I have made to tractors. the foot control for snow removal has been the most valuable.

• Like 3

Maxwell-8

Removed a interesting hitch on my C175-8 which was rusted stuck of course. 

Lot of hammering and lots of lube, I got her out.

put on this ball I had laying around. ( looks home-made, but i have seen a couple of these around, maybe a Belgium WH special.)

Got a task for it next week so I needed a ball on there.

DSC_0113.JPG.85eb32f3b4be0d4d4443cfd07ae06fac.JPGDSC_0119.JPG.93593bce6fbb72ca8286b34592de16c0.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 6

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

need to reverse direction. and lift the plow or blower

That's a huge thing for me too. 

Our dooryard is fairly large and there's a LOT of fore n aft movement. 

Being able to engage reverse, lift plow, and keep hand(s) on wheel would be great.  

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's a huge thing for me too. 

Our dooryard is fairly large and there's a LOT of fore n aft movement. 

Being able to engage reverse, lift plow, and keep hand(s) on wheel would be great.  

I have Matts Foot control on my 418.  It was an early one and the reverse pedal is fairly small and can sometimes be hard to activate.  I do not use her in the winter, but, I would be hesitant to use it with snow / ice on the pedals and bulky cold weather foot wear....

• Like 2

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have Matts Foot control on my 418.  It was an early one and the reverse pedal is fairly small and can sometimes be hard to activate.  I do not use her in the winter, but, I would be hesitant to use it with snow / ice on the pedals and bulky cold weather foot wear....

That's good info there. Thank you. 

One of my design ideas is to build a pedal that has a loop. Push forward on pedal. 

Pull back on loop with toe for reverse. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

All of my tractors have the lift and direction levers next to the steering wheel, maybe that is the reason I don't see the need for a foot control.  Playing with a lever in the teenage girl with cellphone position might be distracting.  :auto-swerve:

Sparky

My first WH with an oil filter…Oil & filter change done on the 315-8 this morning…

9CE669CE-7144-455B-B8CA-85384560A874.jpeg

5416A421-9EA1-4CD9-BD1F-2DE4AE57BDAE.jpeg

6C2CEA72-B3EF-454B-93BF-0366FF426926.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
55 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

All of my tractors have the lift and direction levers next to the steering wheel, maybe that is the reason I don't see the need for a foot control.  Playing with a lever in the teenage girl with cellphone position might be distracting.  :auto-swerve:

EB would have a problem he can't get unattached from his cellphone. :ychain:  I guess he could put a cellphone bracket on the bottom of his steering wheel.  Wheel Horse steering don't turn very far so that would work.

• Haha 2