Earthling

520 XI Buy Advice

Earthling

Hello Everyone!

The machine sold to another buyer.  I really appreciate your thoughts and information.  

Thank you!!

Edited by Earthling
sold

stevebo

Unable to see your pictures. 

slammer302

I have bought 522xi & 520xi and think they are great. If the price is right and the trans is good and motor is good well i would probably still buy with a bad motor & replace if i had too.

DennisThornton

Awesome machines but attachments are somewhat scarce.

Earthling

From what I have read here and my intended use I would love a good 5xi series tractor.  This one looks fairly rusty compared to some of the beauties on here and I'm concerned that may be indicative of other care.  It was used and maintained by a housing authority primarily for snow throwing (in an area with a lot of snow) and is said to have a strong motor with no leaks.  

This may not be answerable, but if we were to assume all 500 hours were snow throwing with the 42" single stage, would that worry you as a new owner?

From the 1st and 3rd picture; does the grill look wrong or just missing?  Is the grill more than cosmetic?   

Thank you! 

MalMac

It had been my experience that a tractor that has been used by a municipality or business for grounds maintenance usually are not cared for the best. They usually have several different operators that sometimes have the attitude "it's not mine so why should I take care of it". That does not always happen, but like I said it's been my experience. As far as the rust, that's typical of a public snow removal that used salt. Operator gets it on his feet then it's gets transferred to the foot boards. It's a sign that the tractor was to quote "rode hard, put away wet" so it's a sign that it was not cared for very well. To me those low hours are hard hours equaling up to exspensive fixes. Sometimes you get a deal. It's just buyer beware like in all used equipment purchases.

• Like 1

Cee245

The grill is a plastic piece that just snaps into place. The battery is behind it I believe.

shallowwatersailor

It must have been decent enough that it sold. They are robust machines and can handle commercial work.

• Like 1

MalMac

shallowwater is right, they are a robust machine. Like any other robust machine if not cared for they turn to junk. Now I know shallowwater takes care if his stuff because he was a Coastie. When I was station on a Coastie base everything was top notch. There again if you see what the Coast Guard does at Cape Disappointment, everything better be top notch. Sorry got off topic here.  

• Like 1

slammer302

Both xi's i bought were not cared for. And looked ruff. But it didn't take much money to bring them back up to par just lots of cleaning and sum wrenching.