Lane Ranger

Rebuild of a 7-1312 Wheel Horse 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower

Lane Ranger
I am rebuilding a 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower which I have had in my basement for about 7 years. I had some of the parts repainted years ago and I had purchased new bolts, oil seals and needed one bearing and a replacement for the yok pin which was lost.

This rebuild is very picture heavy!

I bought a ball bearing to use on my Wheel Horse 7-1312 50 inch Sickle Bar Mower rebuild project today. NAPA auto parts helped me order a bearing that I could use on the end of the wobble box for the shaft assembly. The original build on this wobble box used a brass bushing and a needle bearing on the end with two snap rings and an oil seal. If you look at the Sickle Bar Mower Manual it will list these as (Oil Seal 1482, Ball Bearing 5596, and brass sleeve bearing) .

Somewhere along the line of previous ownership (This Sickle Bar Mower was made from 1969 through 1972) someone installed a sealed ball bearing. I do not think it was used but was placed on the shaft assembly to replace the bushing , bearing and oil seal. So I went looking for a replacement to try the same thing again. The old bearing had a number on the race of the bearing but was very difficult to read. It looked like 3303, 3203, 5303 or 6203. We settled on 6203 and ordered a 6203 J which showed it was sealed on one side.

When it arrived (four hours later from Indianapolis by delivery truck) it was not sealed. So I indicated it had to be sealed. After a few more checks on the computer the NAPA counterman went back in the stockroom and brought out aa 6203 RSJ bearing . Just the right size and a seal on one side.

I also went to the D and E Machine Shop north of Greencastle to have the new replacement Yoke Pin (Part # 2691) made for the wobble box. It is not going to be cheap but it is essential for the wobble box to function properly. The 28th and 29th photos show the Yoke that the Yoke Pin will ride in and that also goes thru the assembly shaft in the center of the wobble box. The 22nd and 31st photo shows the shaft assembly. One of the photos shows the wobble box with the shaft assembly turned around the wrong way. The drive pulley and the drive shaft assembly hole where the drive pin sets were turned around for some reason on the wobble box. I may have done this 7 years ago but I sure did not remeber this. I did notice when gettign ready to reassble though and decided I should make sure all the oil seals , bearings and parts where in good order.

Made a gasket for the wobble box top and I have two new belts for the mower. Can't wait to get this one done and running!

This sickle bar mower will fit on the 6 3/4 inch frame tractors.

030.JPG

029.JPG

005.JPG

028.JPG

021.JPG

020.JPG

004.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

031.JPG