jdleach

Source for Wheel Bearings-C175

jdleach

Thinking seriously on getting a C175 I spotted last week. Thing looks very woebegone, and has sat out in the weather for at least 18 months. One item it needs desperately, is at least one inner front wheel bearing, and likely the outer one as well. Partstree lists them as available for something like $47. I am relatively certain they can be had for less elsewhere.

Anyone have any ideas on a good source for these critters?

KC9KAS

I recently bought wheel bearings for another brand of GT, but the same bearings.....

I got them from TRI STATE BEARING.

If you have an old bearing, any (good) bearing shop will probably have them in stock...probably all 4 bearings for 2 front wheels for $47!

• Like 1

jdleach
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

I recently bought wheel bearings for another brand of GT, but the same bearings.....

I got them from TRI STATE BEARING.

If you have an old bearing, any (good) bearing shop will probably have them in stock...probably all 4 bearings for 2 front wheels for $47!

Thats what I figure KC. Bought too many bearings for my machine shop, and what Partstree wants is waaay outa line. Got a local Motion Industries here in Columbus, and sure they would have them. Was hoping someone would have the number so I could get them coming.

The tractor is a black hood, probably '82 or thereabouts. 

Racinbob

Try Russo Power Equipment. 10 for $15.83 delivered. I just bought 20 of them. They have an ebay store too. :)

• Like 1

jdleach

Thanks guys!

Inner and outer bearings are the same, are they not?

Racinbob

Yup, the same. :)

The same bearings have been used for decades. I used them on the 500 Special (1968) I'm restoring and just replaced all four on my 2005. The ones from Russo are identical to the ones that Don linked to. Sealed on both sides but you can remove the inner seal if you want to. I thought it was a smoking deal. :)

• Like 1

jdleach

Thank you Bob! Going down to talk to this feller now. Tractor looks pretty seedy, but I figure I can get it going again, and looking reasonably well.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Good luck and remember..........:wwp:

• Like 1

doc724

with bearings, you get what you pay for.  Buy them from NAPA or Motion Industries and they will run you $12-16 each, sealed both sides.  The bearing cups are machined from steel billet (solid steel bar stock).  If you buy the ones for $3-5 each, the cups are drawn from sheet stock.  Not gonna last as long.  If your bearings are toast, the spindles are toast as well.  When the balls stop rolling, the inner race will roll on the spindle and wear it down.  New bearings will sit in the same position and you have not solved anything.  Also, if you are getting sealed both side bearings, do yourself a favor and get rid of the grease fitting on the rim.  You do not need it and your tractor will stay much cleaner without all that extra grease oozing out everywhere

• Like 4

DennisThornton

I'm quite frugal (parsimonious perhaps?) but I'm listening hard to this thread.  I've seen countless times where things are over-priced for sure but there are times when a penny saved is a pound lost as well!  Please continue.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Excellent point doc. I will not use bearings drawn from sheet stock. I've had excellent results with the style I use. I've never had to replace a spindle in the decades I've used Wheel Horses. The key is paying attentIon to the bearings. It's easy to tell when they need to be replaced before a failure that kills a spindle. On my workers I prefer to use open one side bearings and grease regularly. On look pretty tractors I use sealed but the zerk remains if nothing more than to plug the hole and aesthetics. :)

• Like 1

Don1977

When you get serious about front wheel bearings this is the way to go. I made this revision back in 1989, I had to tighten the nut on the left side last year. I have 5 lug wheels with 3500# trailer hubs with 6 ply tires.

2009-06-06005-1.jpg

• Like 3

DennisThornton
30 minutes ago, Don1977 said:

When you get serious about front wheel bearings this is the way to go. I made this revision back in 1989, I had to tighten the nut on the left side last year. I have 5 lug wheels with 3500# trailer hubs with 6 ply tires.

"

When you get serious about front wheel bearings this is the way to go"  I believe you for sure, but, no special usage like a FEL?  Just a general mower or GT?  I've seen several threads with trailer hubs but wondered if that was overkill for general purpose GTs.  Even though I have indeed seen several threads, what did  you do to adapt those trailer hubs?  You buy the tires and hubs as a combo?  Sizes please?

Thanks, Dennis

Don1977
57 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

"

When you get serious about front wheel bearings this is the way to go"  I believe you for sure, but, no special usage like a FEL?  Just a general mower or GT?  I've seen several threads with trailer hubs but wondered if that was overkill for general purpose GTs.  Even though I have indeed seen several threads, what did  you do to adapt those trailer hubs?  You buy the tires and hubs as a combo?  Sizes please?

Thanks, Dennis

It's all in this post. took a while to find it.

They are the same size as original 16 650 8.

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

@Don1977

Missing link?

Don1977
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

@Don1977

Missing link?

It works for me. Hit the  "My Wheel Horse Died." It's down a couple of post about the wheels.

Edited by Don1977

doc724
23 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Excellent point doc. I will not use bearings drawn from sheet stock. I've had excellent results with the style I use. I've never had to replace a spindle in the decades I've used Wheel Horses. The key is paying attentIon to the bearings. It's easy to tell when they need to be replaced before a failure that kills a spindle. On my workers I prefer to use open one side bearings and grease regularly. On look pretty tractors I use sealed but the zerk remains if nothing more than to plug the hole and aesthetics. :)

I should have mentioned that if you remove the zerk, put a 1/4-28 allen head set screw in the hole.  My workers are "look pretty" too and I have ruined more articles of clothing by rummaging around tractors and getting grease smeared on them.  You would think I would know better after having this happen a few times, but alas, no.

DennisThornton
On 8/21/2016 at 9:41 AM, Don1977 said:

It works for me. Hit the  "My Wheel Horse Died." It's down a couple of post about the wheels.

It worked for me when I finally figured out the the Title was a live link.  Thanks!