jdleach

What was the first year for the KT17 Series II?

jdleach

Curious, as I have located another black hood C175. Pretty well decided to try to get one, but want to steer clear of the Series I engines.

wheelhorseman

I'm not sure of the year but I believe you can tell by the air cleaner - series 1 had a half round half oblong air cleaner and the series 2 had a round air cleaner with a small pipe coming out of it 

AMC RULES

Refer to post # 23 here...

• Like 1

jdleach

Thanks Craig and Lowell, will have to check the spec. number on the one I am looking at.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here is where Wheel Horse used the Series I

Here is where Wheel Horse used the Series II

Garry

• Like 1

Kegler

I believe my 417A is a series 1 even though it has a series ll air cleaner. Any other way to tell for sure, without numbers, my tag is a blank slate.

oldredrider

Unless I'm mistaken, the Series II has the oil pressured system and should have an oil filter on the engine.

wheelhorseman

Ok the way to tell for sure if you have a series 2 engine is if it has the oil filter blank on it (the 2 lower Allen head bolts holding the cover on next to the oil dipstick tube on the rear cylinder) this allows you to add a oil filter kit to the tractor and the top or silver Allen head plug is to add a oil pressure gauge (if desired) 

image.jpeg

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 2

jdleach

Thank you Gary, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

Considering another Horse, and have set my mind on getting a black-hood. Obviously, the problem is that the Series II did not come out until the '85 models were introduced. Bit of a bummer.

Since I already own a 1985 312-8, I would prefer a tractor with different styling, and the black-hoods have rather grown on me.

Is the issue of slinging rods in the Series I as bad as many folks have said? And if so, has anyone upgraded a Series I to a Series II (without swapping the entire engine)? The reason I ask, is that I may have found a C-175 black-hood hydro that could be gotten reasonably. Appears to have the original engine, and it certainly isn't marked as a Series II.

Kegler

Thanks Wheelhorse-man1000. . Like oldredrider I was looking for an oil filter and finding none I questioned whether mine was a Series ll. My next question is why build a motor with a pressurized oil system and then not put a filter on it? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.   If mine is a real series ll, I may be more inclined to rebuild it rather than looking for a clone to put on it.    Paul in  Indiana (70 mi N of Indy)

• Like 1