Jerry77

Wheels and dust caps

Jerry77

Replacing the front tires on my 516H..I think from the condition and sidewall cracks that the tires are original...stuck to the rim so bad that I am having to cut them off leaving the inner edge of the tire with the steel bands and then getting that off.  Will use 3 to 1 water and muriatic acid to clean the rims up for new tires...have used this method before on car and truck restorations...works real well - just have to keep an eye on it.. I have 2 questions: the original carlyle tires are 2 ply - I was going to get 4 ply - ? what do you guys think ??   My other question is where to get the dust caps for the end of the axle..mine are missing and I have seen some on the internet for over 8 dollars each - won't be doing that - what do the rest of you use? are there car caps that will fit?

I sure have gotten a lot of good info on this forum - check in every day and really enjoy reading what others are doing with their tractors..maybe one of these days I'll talk my wife into another WH ( 520H is my goal ).. thanks in advance for your help.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Sorry can't help with tire question. As for caps check out vendor section Glenn Pettit  sells the caps.

• Like 2

WHX??

I can believe you had to cut them off?!?! Surprised a bead breaker wouldn't do it. ....

4 plys are ok 

See Glen Petit in the vendors section he has them... wants a little more for them but bet the bottom dollar  they be worth it...

• Like 3

DougC
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

sure have gotten a lot of good info on this forum

Me too Jerry. I was so impressed with the members, mods. and all the information freely given to me I quickly became a supporter, best investment I ever made! 

I also like the 520H . I have two of them now, One I've owned for 17 years I bought with around 25 hours.  When you find the one you want buy it and you can tell the wife later, like she does to you with new boots and purses......:lol:

• Like 7

Jerry77
3 hours ago, WHX7 said:

I can believe you had to cut them off?!?! Surprised a bead breaker wouldn't do it. ....

4 plys are ok 

See Glen Petit in the vendors section he has them... wants a little more for them but bet the bottom dollar  they be worth it...

Sidewalls were too cracked and weak - tire just crushed down without any movement at all..oh well....

• Like 1

WHX??
10 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Sidewalls were too cracked and weak - tire just crushed down without any movement at all..oh well....

Oh Yea....been down that road!

ronhatch

I used PVC end caps @ 79 cents each.