Devron30

Wheel Horse C-100

Devron30

I am new to wheel horse tractors. I just bought a 1975 c-100 for $375. Plan on using it for small jobs around my property (garden plowing, small trailer pull, etc…) any tips on these or things to watch out for or upgrade please send my way. Thanks in advance!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Devron30
  • Like 6

daveoman1966

That is a good buy at 375.  tips:

1) change engine oil twice year...spring & fall

2) NEVER try to shift-on-the-fly.  This is NOT a gear synchronized transmission.  You MUST be at full STOP when going from 1 gear to the next.

3)Find a gas station that sells ethanol free gasoline....otherwise the carb will get plugged.

4) run engine at at least 1/2 throttle at all time.  Cooling fins on flywheel don't move enough air to keep engine cool at low rpm.

5) Pull off engine covers and clean out engine fins.  

Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 5

Devron30
4 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

5) Pull off engine covers and clean out engine fins.  

Where exactly is that? Lol I'm telling ya I'm new to all this. 

What should I clean it with?

• Like 1

T-Mo

Now I know who bought this tractor before I could get there. I have been talking to the guy for a few days.  I responded to that ad just after he posted it.  I was going to go up yesterday, but he called me first to let me know he sold it.  What is bad is that he agreed to Tuesday but then he said he had plans, so Wednesday was better.  He was going to sell it to me for $350.  Check out post 7 in this thread: 

Same pictures as in my post there.  Oh well, I guess I missed out, but the search goes on for me.  Congrats on just a nice tractor.

I am new to wheel horse tractors. I just bought a 1975 c-100 for $375. Plan on using it for small jobs around my property (garden plowing, small trailer pull, etc…) any tips on these or things to watch out for or upgrade please send my way. Thanks in advance!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by T-Mo
  • Like 2

Devron30

Sorry about that. He has another one up for sale I seen today. I believe it's a c-160. 

• Like 2

T-Mo
4 minutes ago, Devron30 said:

Sorry about that. He has another one up for sale I seen today. I believe it's a c-160. 

No problem.  I think I'll pass on that C-160 as it has a noise either from the engine or the PTO.  If it's the engine, I don't want it.  So, I'll pass.

• Like 2

ACman

Congrats on your purchase , welcome to Red Square 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square :)  Here is the manual-click on the link.  There are other manuals in the "Manuals" section if you got any attachments for the horse.

The transmission on your horse should be a Wheel Horse #5091.  It is an 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  I suggest you take a look at the oil and the condition of the shifter boot, and change and replace if necessary.  It should take about 2 qts. of 90wt oil.  TORO has the boots for about $6. :)

• Like 4

Devron30
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Welcome to Red Square :)  Here is the manual-click on the link.  There are other manuals in the "Manuals" section if you got any attachments for the horse.

The transmission on your horse should be a Wheel Horse #5091.  It is an 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  I suggest you take a look at the oil and the condition of the shifter boot, and change and replace if necessary.  It should take about 2 qts. of 90wt oil.  TORO has the boots for about $6. :)

I actually changed the engine and gear oil yesterday just to say I did it and know when It was last done. The shifter boot is new. Thanks for the manuals!! 

• Like 4

Racinbob

Looks like you got a great deal. Good seat, headlight intact, you even got the real axle bracket. Get a snow blade with it? :)

• Like 3

Devron30
8 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Looks like you got a great deal. Good seat, headlight intact, you even got the real axle bracket. Get a snow blade with it? :)

No didn't get anything with it. Bought a sleeve hitch yesterday for it from wheelhorse1000

• Like 3

Devron30

Guys do any of you know where I can find rear wheel weights for this c-100? Has 23x8.5-12 tires. Thanks!!

TDF5G

You got a pretty good deal on that Horse IMO.  Looks like a very good original unmolested tractor.  The first thing I noticed is that the original seat looks to be in perfect condition.  Those fetch big $ on eBay.  Attachments for these series of WH are not too hard to find either.  And as Racinbob said, the headlights are great shape and you have the rear axle mounting bracket for attachments.  

Congrats to you and :WRS:.  Have fun with your :wh:!

• Like 1

T-Mo
9 minutes ago, Devron30 said:

Guys do any of you know where I can find rear wheel weights for this c-100? Has 23x8.5-12 tires. Thanks!!

Sears will sell them, as well as other places.  That is if you don't mind the cement filled plastic ones.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-55-lb-wheel-weight/p-07126234000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnIm7BRDSs42KxLS8-6YBEiQAfDWP6FcFEBj5TxvYHdlknnXx8DFBKC0TqbBOmSk3TgWWTD4aAnQs8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Other places, here in the classified by putting in a want ad, ebay, amazon, etc.  The cast iron ones go for big money, but are a lot better than the cement filled plastic ones.

Edited by T-Mo
  • Like 1

Devron30
16 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

You got a pretty good deal on that Horse IMO.  Looks like a very good original unmolested tractor.  The first thing I noticed is that the original seat looks to be in perfect condition.  Those fetch big $ on eBay.  Attachments for these series of WH are not too hard to find either.  And as Racinbob said, the headlights are great shape and you have the rear axle mounting bracket for attachments.  

Congrats to you and :WRS:.  Have fun with your :wh:!

Hey thank you!! The seats got some rips in it. Head lights seem good. I do feel bad because I'm not a collector/restorer and just gonna use this as a "work horse" and beat it up.  I feel bad if people need the items I have for their restore. I wouldn't be opposed to sell things off of it as long as I don't need them to run the tractor lol. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Devron30

TDF5G
12 minutes ago, Devron30 said:

Hey thank you!! The seats got some rips in it. Head lights seem good. I do feel bad because I'm not a collector/restorer and just gonna use this as a "work horse"band beat it up.  I feel bad if people need the items I have. I wouldn't be opposed to sell things off of it as long as I don't need them to run the tractor lol. 

Don't feel bad at all.  I have 2 1977s that I use for chores around my place in same condition as yours.  Gotta a good original seat on one too.  Wheel Horses are built for working!  I think more members here use them for work than restoration.  Used but not abused.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

Devron30
Just now, TDF5G said:

Don't feel bad at all.  I have 2 1977s that I use for chores around my place in same condition as yours.  Gotta a good seat original seat on one too.  Wheel Horses are built for working!  I think more members here use them for work than restoration.

Just curious, how much does a seat in my condition and headlight/tail lights go for? Glad to hear I'm not only one using these as tractors lol 

• Like 1

TDF5G

Prices can vary.  I've seen perfect original seats on ebay priced at $150-$250 or maybe a bit higher.   A used headlight bucket on ebay will be around $25-$40 usually.  I've seen some crazy prices for used lenses (some priced more than new) but most will be around $20-$25 depending on condition.  New lenses are still available for about $32 the last time I looked it up.   The older style with the chrome WH logo is no longer availble new and they seem a bit higher.

Now, I'm not claiming these parts are all actually worth these amounts.  Opinions will vary.  These are asking prices that I recall seeing on ebay after following things for the past couple of years.  Most high priced items I follow do not sell.  An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO.  

• Like 3

rmaynard

Very good buy on a very strong tractor. I have had several B-100's, both hydro (1974-75) and 8-Speeds (1976-77). Your C-100 is the equivalent of a 1976-77 B-100 but with lights. It is one tough horse. Most any accessory from 1973 up to the 1990's will fit the Tach-A-Matic hitch system. You already have a rear hitch to which a snow plow attaches. I have kept my 1977 B-100 running good by changing the oil regularly, draining and changing the transmission oil every 3 or 4 years, replacing the shifter boot if it appears to be cracked, and using ethanol-free gas. I have never taken the tins off my engine to clean it, but some guys do. It's a bit more work to take the flywheel cover off due to the fact that the governor/throttle mechanism is attached to it, but not that hard. This is a horse that you can work hard and put away wet, and she will still treat you well.

:WRS:

• Like 4

Devron30
2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

Prices can vary.  I've seen perfect original seats on ebay priced at $150-$250 or maybe a bit higher.   A used headlight bucket on ebay will be around $25-$40 usually.  I've seen some crazy prices for used lenses (some priced more than new) but most will be around $20-$25 depending on condition.  New lenses are still available for about $32 the last time I looked it up.   The older style with the chrome WH logo is no longer availble new and they seem a bit higher.

Now, I'm not claiming these parts are all actually worth these amounts.  Opinions will vary.  These are asking prices that I recall seeing on ebay after following things for the past couple of years.  Most high priced items I follow do not sell.  An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay IMO.  

Thanks a lot for all the information on the WH c100 sellable items. My headlight and glass and rear tail light are in great condition, so I'm thinking I may try and sell them on eBay since I won't ever use them and chances are id break them at my property. I would rather sell them to someone who could use it then me break it!

What I'm wondering is should I sell the headlight housing and glass separate or all together? 

I doubt I'd sell the seat as idk if aftermarkets would even fit and seats seem expensive lol

Thanks a lot. 

Edited by Devron30

rmaynard

A good replacement seat for that tractor is a Michigan Seat V-3500 from Northern Tool.

If you want to sell the lights, you will get more selling them as separate items. I personally would not sell them. As soon as you do, you will find a dark and stormy night when they might come in handy.

• Like 3

Devron30
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

A good replacement seat for that tractor is a Michigan Seat V-3500 from Northern Tool.

If you want to sell the lights, you will get more selling them as separate items. I personally would not sell them. As soon as you do, you will find a dark and stormy night when they might come in handy.

I'll look the seat up thank you. haha that would be my luck w the lights lol

rmaynard

The V-3500 is a Michigan Seat. Michigan Seat Co. was the OEM for Wheel Horse mid-back and high-back seats. The difference between these and the OEM's are no logo. The threaded mounting holes in the base of the V-3500 are properly spaced for Wheel Horse.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Devron30 :WRS:

Nice C-100!

• Like 1

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:    :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1