Cameron670

Kohler 4500 RV generator, KT 17

Cameron670

Thinking about getting one of these (engine) for the boy to use, while I rebuild the m18. Might also be able to build the generator portion into a front mounted generator. The question is, what does the crank end look like.  The engine tag picture that I saw did not have a letter designating a tapered crank. With the research that I've done so far, if it is first gen KT 17, it will be splash oiling ?  So the crank & rods would not be interchangeable with the M18 ?

Is there any major hang ups with trying to swap this with the m18 ?  I would re-use the m18 carb, ignition, and exhaust.  This is the engine that a C-175 came with, correct ? 

Gabriel is 6, and he LOVES the 418, because of the hand hydro. He is very safe, and monitored 100% of the time. He does not mow yet.

Thanks to all,

KJC

kohler gen.JPG

pfrederi

Most close coupled generator sets had tapered shafts.  What is the spec number of the motor?  then you can look up the crank part #.  The generator bearings may not be suitable for a front pulley mount type setup.

tbarnhart

I'm not sure exactly about the rpms, but a KT17 only running a 4500 W generator would make me think that its set up to only run 1800 RPM. A lot of those RV gennys were set up that way to lower fuel consumption and reduce noise. The governor parts are probably different for the low-speed generator duty.

• Like 1