Your Shirtless Neighbor

Rebuilt HH60 Woes

Your Shirtless Neighbor

I just got her all back together. New piston, rings, connecting rod, and rebuilt the carb... so far $120 into this "free" motor. 

Filled the oil to the middle of the full marks, and it fired up. Instantly it was smoking. I can't adjust the carb worth a damn  and it won't rev. 

I did remove the governor.... and I checked my vent valve, all seem to be OK. I let it run. For a good 5 minutes billowing smoke. 

The cylinder was in spec at 2.6" diameter.... 

What am I missing?! Just a bad motor? 

After 5 minutes the side of the carb and air cleaner were black... 

The oil has a slight haze to it, but it's clean. 

Also, piston rings are staggered.... just to rule that out. 

The ONLY difference between the old and new piston is the new one didn't have that wavy spring ring. 

The old piston had it under the lower compression ring. 

Is this supposed to go under the oil ring?

illinilefttackle

Was this engine block bored?, Clearances checked?- Al

• Like 1

squonk

I beleve it needs that wavy spring under the oil ring

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Should just replace the carb...

find 'em cheap enough on Ebay. 

Your Shirtless Neighbor

It's blowing oil boys.... the carb isn't the issue. It's a blow by issue. And the bore was checked. Standard size. 

buckrancher

is the crankcase vent in the valve cover open

Brian

• Like 1

squonk

How was the bore checked? An old Tecky that still is standard size is probably out of round. I blew a bunch of them up back n the day. Never fixed one so what do I know. 

• Like 3

Your Shirtless Neighbor

Crank case vent/valve vent is working. New gaskets, cleaned the mesh. It's venting to the carb, no excess oil really. 

Bore was checked with vernier top and bottom. Center was checked with a ring and shims. 

Edited by AimlessMoto

squonk

Bore really needs to be checked with a bore gauge or inside/ outside micrometers. Cyl. Is probably out of round and tapered out of spec.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Howie

What was said above, a vernier caliper is not a good tool to check the bore. One can make those come up with all different measurements

depending on how one uses them. 

Your Shirtless Neighbor

I'll grab a bore gauge from work tomorrow and double check it. What about that wavy ring? Where should that go? 

Also..  if worse comes to worse. Can this be bored to receive a 7hp piston?

can whlvr

even if its in spec you MUST hone her to set the new rings,sounds like the rings arnt seated yet and if you are sure its in spec it should have been honed

Your Shirtless Neighbor
5 hours ago, can whlvr said:

even if its in spec you MUST hone her to set the new rings,sounds like the rings arnt seated yet and if you are sure its in spec it should have been honed

It was honed... I'm sorry, I didn't add that to my original post.

This is my issue, is everything was done by the book on this rebuild. But, I don't have the correct book it seems....

And how come no one can tell me where that WAVY RING GOES?!?!?!

Is there supposed to be a ring UNDER the oil ring?!?!?!

Molon_Labe

If your wavy (expander) ring is the same width as the oil ring groove it should go under the ring as in figure GO below56e7610265fc1_becooilcontrolpistonrings.

sorekiwi
59 minutes ago, AimlessMoto said:

And how come no one can tell me where that WAVY RING GOES?!?!?!

Is there supposed to be a ring UNDER the oil ring?!?!?!

Its a little hard to tell what you are talking about.

Your ring set should have come with instructions.  If the oil ring is a "4 piece ring" then yes there should be 2 scraper rings, a spacer ring to seperate the 2 scrapers, and another ring to tension the scrapers against the bore.

A little more information about what you have would be helpful.

slammer302

Here's a pic of a tecky piston maybe it will help you out. You may want to check that all ur rings are facing the correct direction so they pull the oil back down the cylinder. Good luck keep the teckys alive!

IMG_20160314_203520452.jpg

Your Shirtless Neighbor

Ok... my piston that came out had 3 rings and 1 spring. An oil ring with large holes on the bottom. The middle ring with a square notch cut out of the bottom section and the spring under it. And the top ring, which is solid. 

The way it came out was EXACTLY like that picture, EXCEPT for the spring under the oil ring.... which is probably what led to the original failure. ...

The new setup is a slotted oiler ring on the bottom... double bevel center ring... single chamfer top ring... 

I think I have to pull this thing apart, maybe use the stock rings if they're in spec, and put the damn spring correctly under the oil ring. 

Edited by AimlessMoto

Your Shirtless Neighbor

This is the original as it came out. 

20160229-000.jpg

squonk

I see enough scuffing on that old piston to tell me that block probably needed boring. Every engine I ever worked on had the wavy expander under the oil ring. I just never worked on Tecky innards.Looks like someone got in there before you and meesed things up

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Your Shirtless Neighbor

I have a feeling that's what caused the original failure of this engine was someone else's intervention.

When I took the head off there was a PILE of carbon around the exhaust valve and burnt oil in the intake... the carb was coated in black...

Hopefully I can get this sorted.

It starts REALLY easily, so I know it's worth saving... just have to get this oil issue sorted.

Wishin4a416

Probably already mentioned, but the Oil Scraper ring is not upside down correct?

Your Shirtless Neighbor
3 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Probably already mentioned, but the Oil Scraper ring is not upside down correct?

Correct. It's in according to the diagram and how the original mounted.

Quick clip of it running at www.instagram.com/aimlessmoto , it's the first vid that pops up.

Edited by AimlessMoto

Your Shirtless Neighbor

HAHA! 

I think I got this. 

I put the center ring in upside-down!

Attached is a pic of the piston as it came out... 

I also double checked all my rings at 4 different heights in the bore... on average all gaps came out to .010, the bore with a gauge spun 3 times at 3 depths averaged 2.623. The piston itself is 2.607.  

All seem to be within spec, and the bore was only out of round by less than a thou.

I'm still going to take it to a local small engine shop so the can check the engine code and see if it needs the spring under the oil ring. 

Hopefully it's just the stupid wiper ring. 

20160315_233938.jpg

20160315_233853.jpg

20160315_233825.jpg

squonk

I would have him check that bore if I were you. Using a ring is not accurate.

• Like 1

Your Shirtless Neighbor
4 hours ago, squonk said:

I would have him check that bore if I were you. Using a ring is not accurate.

You should your coffee before posting. I  clearly have a pic of a bore gage, and stated my measurements. I also checked ring gap.