WNYPCRepair

Simplicity FL500 FEL, any info?

WNYPCRepair

I am looking at a Simplicity FL500 FEL to convert to fit my 522xi, does anyone have any info on one, or has anyone converted one?

fel.jpg.a2d9840c3bad5d78a3c581c6b2c0c5f1

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This is for a Simplicity 9000 model

Garry

Snowmobileaddict

The simplicity loaders are made by Kwik Way still.

The main frame or boom is built with a wider spread than all the other Kwik-Way loaders.  It appears to be 4-6" wider.  That shouldn't really matter too much though for an adaptation.  the bucket is a full 48" wide, the standard classic KW FELs shipped with a 40" bucket.

The other thing that is different is that the legacy loader is designed to run off of the on board hydros on the tractor.  The legacy tractors have remote aux hydro lines with quick connects and the tractor has its own joystick 2-spool valve at the console.  That means you'd be supplying your won hydro pump and control valve.

Lastly, the bottoms of the uprights on the legacy loader are different that what you saw in my build.  They have a type of hook system that you pull the tractor into and then connect the hydro lines and use the bucket to pivot the loader further up and lock it into the front mount.  This is different than the classic Kwikway FEL and different that how mine is built too.

18542%20%2010-4%20353.JPG

It would be a doable conversion/adaptation.  I'd probably cut off the diagonal braces and build new ones like I have with my loader.  The subframe would just be a bit wider and you'd have to decide what to do with the bottoms of the uprights.  Either shave them down and weld 1/4" plate to the bottoms so they look like a regular classic kwikway upright.  Or, if the seller is including the simplicity subrame, you'd be able to hack that up and refab it to fit your 5xi.

One other note, you might have to add bungs for the left side upright to act as a hydro reservoir.  I'm not sure if the upright is outfitted with them or not.  I think that they might be.  If you add the simplicity legacy backhoe to the setup, I believe that the left side upright acts as a reservoir with a standalone belt drive hydraulic pump.

I've got a simplicity manual for the loader and the back hoe on another computer.  I'll send them to you if you PM me your e-mail address.

WNYPCRepair
32 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

The simplicity loaders are made by Kwik Way still.

The main frame or boom is built with a wider spread than all the other Kwik-Way loaders.  It appears to be 4-6" wider.  That shouldn't really matter too much though for an adaptation.  the bucket is a full 48" wide, the standard classic KW FELs shipped with a 40" bucket.

The other thing that is different is that the legacy loader is designed to run off of the on board hydros on the tractor.  The legacy tractors have remote aux hydro lines with quick connects and the tractor has its own joystick 2-spool valve at the console.  That means you'd be supplying your won hydro pump and control valve.

Lastly, the bottoms of the uprights on the legacy loader are different that what you saw in my build.  They have a type of hook system that you pull the tractor into and then connect the hydro lines and use the bucket to pivot the loader further up and lock it into the front mount.  This is different than the classic Kwikway FEL and different that how mine is built too.

18542%20%2010-4%20353.JPG

It would be a doable conversion/adaptation.  I'd probably cut off the diagonal braces and build new ones like I have with my loader.  The subframe would just be a bit wider and you'd have to decide what to do with the bottoms of the uprights.  Either shave them down and weld 1/4" plate to the bottoms so they look like a regular classic kwikway upright.  Or, if the seller is including the simplicity subrame, you'd be able to hack that up and refab it to fit your 5xi.

One other note, you might have to add bungs for the left side upright to act as a hydro reservoir.  I'm not sure if the upright is outfitted with them or not.  I think that they might be.  If you add the simplicity legacy backhoe to the setup, I believe that the left side upright acts as a reservoir with a standalone belt drive hydraulic pump.

I've got a simplicity manual for the loader and the back hoe on another computer.  I'll send them to you if you PM me your e-mail address.

I got a few photos today of the mounting system. He is including the sub mount, and it could easily be adapted to the wheel horse or xi. But, I found out exactly what you said, I will have to buy my own pump and valve, and build a pump mount, and adapt the sub mount, and so on. I am starting to think with what he is asking, plus what I would have to buy, and the labor involved, I may end up building my own. I had pretty much decided to buy the Power King that was listed here, but it was sold. 

I am still thinking about this one, it is very nice, he said he only used it one season to clear snow, I'm just not sure it makes financial sense. I am confident enough of my welding skills that I believe I can build one, but it would be nice to have one ready this spring for yard work

Forest Road

I have one on a 522xi in the Adirondack Park. I go back and forth on selling it. If you're interested PM me. 

Pierrepont

If you don't have an absolute, immediate need for a FEL I'd suggest you wait for a Kwik-Way system engineered for a Wheel Horse to come along.

In my opinion, it would be REAL time and money to convert the Simplicity FEL to Wheel Horse.  This would not be a good value proposition.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, Pierrepont said:

If you don't have an absolute, immediate need for a FEL I'd suggest you wait for a Kwik-Way system engineered for a Wheel Horse to come along.

In my opinion, it would be REAL time and money to convert the Simplicity FEL to Wheel Horse.  This would not be a good value proposition.

Actually getting it to fit wouldn't be that hard, but it would be a bit of work, require some fabrication, and then I have about $450 just to buy the control valve and pump. So yes, it isn't a good investment in my case. By the time I finished I would have $2500 to $3000 in it, and that is just too much. 

Forest Road has a nice 522xi with Kwik-Way loader that I am still considering. I am getting a quote on the steel today hopefully, and then I can compare building vs buying his.

WNYPCRepair

If anyone is interested in this, it is listed on the Syracuse NY CL. 

wrightorchid

Might be better to buy the tractor that goes with it, even if it is orange!!

• Like 1