MWR

Snow grading in the rain.

MWR

I filmed this Monday and it was raining on the snow that fell the day before.  I was grading about a 50 50 mix of snow and slush.  And I liked it.

• Like 5

MWR

The rain is not a problem when you have just put your transaxle back together and need to try it out.  Even getting soaked in February can be overcome.

Edited by MWR
  • Like 3

slammer302

Looks like fun I haven't had to plow any snow yet this year heck it's almost 60° and sunny today

• Like 1

cleat

Is your cutting edge wider than the blade ?

That bridge would make me nervous.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Now that's a lane.    Almost chocked when you crossed the bridge.  Cool video.

• Like 1

MWR
19 minutes ago, cleat said:

Is your cutting edge wider than the blade ?

That bridge would make me nervous.

I made that cutting edge out of an old road grader cutting edge that a county worker gave me.  I thought it would be cool to have it stuck out there like that, but I am rethinking that situation.  I may have to remove it and cut it to fit.  It seems to find a lot of things to hang up on.

And the mechanism that allows the blade to angle is about worn out.  It hits the front wheel when real pressure is applied.  Does anyone know if you can get parts for these blades?

Edited by MWR

stevasaurus

You can probably make the parts fairly easily. 

I started watching your video, and then I wondered how long your driveway was...then I saw the bridge...then I wondered if you were clearing the bike path from an old railroad bed.  Cool video...thanks for sharing.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Those bridges are common in Tennessee. 

When I was a kid, a guy delivering a mobile home was afraid to cross it, so the farmer got his tractor out, hooked up to the trailer and pulled it across with no problem. 

The gaps in the boards keep cows from crossing, they are afraid

• Like 2

Aldon

Was someone riding behind you? Or prehensile tail or how did you mount the camera?

• Like 3

Phatboy

Thanks for sharing bud nice video,, i thought my driveway was long at 178 feet,, i see now i have it  easy,,

MWR

1/4 of a mile of driveway.  That's a good distance from the county road, but I could stand it if was even longer.

And the bridge is floored with old railroad ties.  They are 7" X 14" and vary from 12' to 16' long.  They make a good bridge.  I spaced them in the hope that they would last longer.  My brother took a CAT 32o excavator across it and he had the tracks rolling on the guards at the edge of the bridge.

• Like 6

TDF5G

Dad gum that's a long driveway!!  Looks like a lot of fun with the bridge and all.

MWR
58 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Was someone riding behind you? Or prehensile tail or how did you mount the camera?

I made me a camera mount.  Make that an experimental camera mount.  Galvanized pipe, some bolts and nuts, some rubber pipe cut for shock absorbers and an old camera mount off a tripod.  The good news is that it holds the camera.  The bad news is that you never know for sure what you are filming.  And evidently the shock absorbing rubber pipes do not absorb the shock as well as I hoped.  But the night is still young, as they say.

• Like 3

Aldon

That's a serious camera mount! 

Thanks. The video was great.

MWR
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

Maybe I should consider getting an old paint shaker and fastening it to  the Wheelhorse.  Then mounting my camera on it.  If I got everything in time, it could be some smooth filming.  B)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I liked it just how it was.  You could see well enough...not really too much vibration...and when the slush pushed the front of the horse over, it was like I was sitting on the seat.  I think I was trying to turn the steering wheel when that happened a few times.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  It would be nice to take that ride again in the summer and in the fall.  :)

• Like 3

MWR
25 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I liked it just how it was.  You could see well enough...not really too much vibration...and when the slush pushed the front of the horse over, it was like I was sitting on the seat.  I think I was trying to turn the steering wheel when that happened a few times.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  It would be nice to take that ride again in the summer and in the fall.  :)

The steering has been bad on this tractor for some time.  The steering wheel would turn but the wheels would not.  There was a loud clicking noise as the gears slipped.   A few days ago I decided to take it apart.  I found that the main steering mount shaft had a pretty deep groove wore in it where it sat on the tractor body.  This allowed the big steering gear to move sideways away from the steering column and slip.  Then the lift arm for the blade got a little bent (and then a lot broke) and in the process collided with the steering mechanism, so sometimes I had to stop, raise the blade and cut the wheels.

I replaced the worn shaft with an 8" x 3'4" bolt.  I put a nut on both sides of the tractor wall where the bolt passed thru the tractor.  This appears to have taken the slack out of the system.

For what it's worth, I may post a picture of the worn shaft.  Evidently it doesn't take much slack there to make steering a bigger adventure than it should be.

Edited by MWR
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, MWR said:

1/4 of a mile of driveway.  That's a good distance from the county road, but I could stand it if was even longer.

And the bridge is floored with old railroad ties.  They are 7" X 14" and vary from 12' to 16' long.  They make a good bridge.  I spaced them in the hope that they would last longer.  My brother took a CAT 32o excavator across it and he had the tracks rolling on the guards at the edge of the bridge.

My brother's driveway is at least 1/2 mile. Beautiful place in western NC near Mayberry. He just moved into town, I think he is going to hate it

MWR

I work in town.  I'm glad to get home in the evening.

cleat

I work at a chemical plant out of town and live out of town. I only go in for groceries and gas.

Seem like every light turns red as soon as I get to it, drives me nuts. I like highways better than city streets.

So nice to get home where it is quiet (except for the roar of and Onan when I fire up a Wheel Horse).

• Like 5

squonk

I got cold and damp just looking at your Carhartt! 467109581avatar.gif.b0440ca975d38cfd0cc1

tunahead72
5 hours ago, MWR said:

...  I was grading about a 50 50 mix of snow and slush.  And I liked it...

No such thing as inclement weather, only inappropriate clothing, right?

I love your videos, except you left out the best part, at the end of the driveway at the road.  Trying to hide something from the road crew? :ychain:

Sparky

Wheel Horses are great and all but if I had a 1/4 mile driveway I would want a pickup with a plow.....or maybe a Jeep with a plow.

Great video!

Mike.....

Ed Kennell

C'mon Mike. All you need is a nice warm dry cab on that horse.

• Like 1

Tankman
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Wheel Horses are great and all but if I had a 1/4 mile driveway I would want a pickup with a plow.....or maybe a Jeep with a plow.

Great video!

Mike.....

I think a skid steer, heated and stereo. Here's my grandson ready to give our toy a shot.

image.jpeg