Tuggster

Tire Pressure and Weights

Tuggster

Good morning, I have a question regarding tire pressure and wheel weights.  I have a 1994 520-H with a Kwik Way FEL on it.  What tire pressures do you suugest for front and rear tires?  Also, it has a weight box on the back and I was wondering what the max weight that I should put in there without putting too much stress on the rear axle. Currently have about 225 lbs.  Any thoughts on wheel weights versus the weight box?  I work in a machine shop and can have plate cut and drilled to fit inside the rear wheels if this is prefered over the weight box.  Also the weight box adds about 2 feet to the length of the tractor.

Thanks, for your inputs.

Ed Kennell

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61158-whats-all-this-fuss-about-transaxle-bearing-loads/?page=1

The wheel weight vs rear weight has been discussed in detail in the above post.    You can "weigh" all the opinions and form your own.

IMO, The  advantage of the filled tires and wheel weights is,  they   do not add any stress to the tractor frame , trans axle and bearings but they do not reduce the loading on the front tires.       The cantilevered rear mounted weights have the opposite effect of adding stress to the tractor and reducing the load on the front tires.   I don't have a FEL, so have no experience on best tire pressure, but  it seems reasonable the pressures would need to be increased enough to compensate for the additional weights to restore the tires to the correct profile and to improve the steering.

• Like 1

Tuggster

Ed, Thanks for steering me to that post.

Craig

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

I believe the added weight box can create more friction, which produces more wear, not doubt. But I also believe keeping the oil changed and good axle seals to keep dirt out is just as important. Seen worn out axles with a tractor that just carried a mowing deck from poor maint. If you think about it , Wheel horse designed these tractors to hall more weight around then just its own dead weight. Think about how heavy the 60 inch deck is. Or the bervac two stage snow blower with the weight rack hanging off the back. Or the rear mount tiller. Or the stress of dragging a plow through the ground.

Also, typically with a front end loader your not putting hours and hours of fast pace mowing around the yard every single week during mowing season. Usually, you start it up, move something , or move some snow piles and that's it. Those  bearings and axles surely are not a weak point. However , keep an eye on the frame mount to the transmission for loose bolts and stress cracks. That can be a weak point. In fact, go out and tighten those four bolts now lol.

Also I can tell you , I have a buddy with a C-81 that has almost 500lbs on the back between wheel weights and suitcase weights and almost 200lbs up front. Plus his weight. It has a custom made heavy duty plow on it and has been plowing his house and neighbors for nearly fifteen years. Again, maint. is key. That being said the wear between the front axle and spindles is getting pretty bad but that's after fifteen years. Your mileage may vary...   Hope that helps

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 1

Theroundhousernr
1 hour ago, ekennell said:

The wheel weight vs rear weight has been discussed in detail in the above post.    You can "weigh" all the opinions and form your own.

Wow, I some how missed that thread but just read it. I am glad most every bodies thinking is similar to mine. I don't feel so left out lol

• Like 1

roadapples

I have an ark loader but shouldn`t make any difference in this case. The manual says 250 lbs. in the ballast box with wheel weights. 350 lbs. without wheel weights. The manual is from Wheel Horse.....

• Like 2

doc724

When I put my Kwikway on my 5xi, I inflate the tires to 20 psi (normal is 12 psi).  Make sure you are using 4 ply tires on your 520

Phatboy
1 hour ago, doc724 said:

When I put my Kwikway on my 5xi, I inflate the tires to 20 psi (normal is 12 psi).  Make sure you are using 4 ply tires on your 520

I have 6 ply AG tires on the rear with 50lb wheel weights on each side , and have mine inflated to 20lbs of air ,, do you think i could get away with 15lbs of air ? Id like to flatten out the tires so they dont ride so much in the middle and the tread is flat across the tire ,, any replys would be appreciated thanks in advance...

Don1977

I don't have a loader, but my understanding it would be better with the 20 PSI to make it more stable when the bucket is up.

• Like 3

cheesegrader

I run my front tires at 20 lbs. 

Smooth tread, 4-ply.

Steering is hard enough with that set-up.

I can't imagine working at anything less.

The rear ags are loaded with rim-guard, and have steel weights on the inside and outside of the rims.

I don't usually use the weight box, unless I am lifting something really heavy.

I don't like the extra length out the back.  It gets too hard to work between trees or around the barn.

The loader is long enough to be clumsy by itself.  The box makes maneuvering really difficult, and the extra weight isn't often necessary.

The loaded, weighted rears are over #150 each.  Works fine for snow, mulch, loose gravel, dirt, wood....

I use the weight box if I am loading pallets.

• Like 3

roadapples

I`d be interested to know what weights you have on the inside... thanks

cheesegrader

I have a set of 12" bolens weights, #33 each.

The dished face fits nicely on the inside of the rear rims.

I had to have notches cut out to clear the valve stem.

• Like 1