peigt14

suburban identification

peigt14

need some help identify what I have in the below pictures.

From looking at other threads on the site I have it narrowed down to a 61 suburban 401 with a replacement tescumseh hs40 engine.

Just want to see if I am correct or not.sub4.jpg.115f349408e6373b1d4b66f6ae1e010

I just got the hs40 back to life, fits tractor quite well and would like to keep it on there, my issue is I have a 9 year old son that is getting more anxious by the day to get on this thing and drive, before that happens I need a belt guard, right now the transmission pulley to the engine measures around 9 1/4" and the clutch to the engine around 5 1/2", there are a couple advertised on ebay and just wondering if  would be lucky enough to get one that would bolt on.

I was hoping that once I confirmed it is a 61 401 someone could measure to see how close this set up is.

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

• Like 4

dells68

Can't tell from your pics, is there a rib down the center of the hood behind the gas cap?  61s had the rib, 60s didn't.  The control holes look correct for a 61 though.  Modified 60 hood or early 61 if there is no rib?  By the way, nice machine!!!:wh:

Edited by dells68

AlwaysLookin80

It's a 61 401. I just parted one out. 

• Like 1

peigt14

Thanks, it has a rib in front of gas gap towards front grille,

My thoughts were the cast clutch pedal and the  front Axel style point to a 61and the 3 piece trans along with the round spark plug hole access made it a 401 as opposed to a 551.

Anyone have any input to the fitment of the belt guard?

there is one on eBay for a 401 but not sure if the engine pulley is in the same place with the hs40, if not dos anybody have pics of a set up with replacement engine and homemade belt guard

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   If you do a search for "suburban belt guard" and read them over you will find out the ins and outs of these guards and differences between 400 and 401.