can whlvr

another storm for the east

can whlvr

only a couple of inches up here,up north a few hours they are getting hammered,nothing here,very strange year,not one big snow fall,whats next snow in july

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

We got 4 inches in an hour today, about 6 inches total in about 3 hours. During the first hour, visibility was about 30 feet. Drove home at about 5 mph. 

Cleared the driveway with the 520 and the regular blower that I added a tall chute too. Tried the NH GT22 with the 2 stage, but the inside of the chute is complete rust. since I got it in December, it has been too cold to clean and paint. The 520 cleared my driveway in about 6 passes, took maybe 5 minutes. Saw my neighbor out with a tiny little snow blower, so I just drove right across the lawn and gave his 4 passes and let him clean up with the blower. 

My wife called and said she was on her way home about 30 minutes ago, so I went out and used the GT22 blower like a low to scrape a path for my wife, and put down ice melt. I don't like her walking on snow with her knee. The GT22 had an oil leak in the auger gearbox, so I topped it off before I used it, and when I parked it, I stuffed an old sweatshirt under the gearbox to catch drips. You see where this is going, don't you? After I pushed a path out for my wife, I flipped the blower on to toss what I scraped up. Heard the most God awful banging noise from the blower. Shut it off, backed back in the garage. 

Yep, I have a sweatshirt wrapped around the impeller. I'll have to cut that out tomorrow, too cold right now.

• Like 4

953 nut

Weather forecasters might as well be using a Ouija Board, Wednesday the schools were closed because of the impending snow storm and it was beautiful, this morning they said no singes of snow today, about 9:00 am the snow started and within an hour we had a couple of inches. :woohoo: , seat time! It only took a few minutes but was necessary since the daytime temperature would be above freezing and going down to the teens over night. By sundown I had a nice dry driveway. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Just started here about an hour ago.  Might have an inch now and two total in the forecast.    The 312 may get a little exercise on the AM.

• Like 1

rjg854

We got maybe 2 inches of snow, but the way the wind is blowing, gusts to 30 mph, and the temp at zero, and they say is the high for today.  Good day to curl up and hibernate until the wind lets up some.  I might finally be able to try out the tractors just for fun, unless we really get some more snow to actually make it a test run.  I kinda of hope so because all they have done sit it in the horse barn all winter only coming out to run down the 1/4 mile driveway to get the mail :huh:

• Like 2

Digger 66

IMG_1425.JPG

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The horses are staying in the barn today.  We only got about 2" and the cold North wind blew most of it away.    Warm up coming Tue.

squonk
5 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

IMG_1425.JPG

Turn your furnace on! :teasing-poke:

• Like 3

Digger 66
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Turn your furnace on! :teasing-poke:

Yeah , I know . I'M CHEAP !

I turn the heat down to 52 at night . 

That's why the little arrow is pointing up :rolleyes:

It turns up to 68 @ 3:30 AM 

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2

squonk
5 hours ago, Ranger13148 said:

We got maybe 2 inches of snow, but the way the wind is blowing, gusts to 30 mph, and the temp at zero, and they say is the high for today.  Good day to curl up and hibernate until the wind lets up some.  I might finally be able to try out the tractors just for fun, unless we really get some more snow to actually make it a test run.  I kinda of hope so because all they have done sit it in the horse barn all winter only coming out to run down the 1/4 mile driveway to get the mail :huh:

At least you have a reason to take a tractor out for a run! :icecream: Seeing as my mail box is 15 feet from my door, if I did that Dawn would have me at the psych center! :happy-bouncymulticolor:

Just now, Digger 66 said:

I have the house at 70. gas stove and electric fireplace on. I have fleece lined pants on,a base layer shirt, a long sleeved turtle neck, a sweatshirt and a fleece lined flannel shirt on. We have a full tank of gas and we're wearing sunglasses. And I'm still cold! :)

• Like 1

Digger 66
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I have the house at 70. gas stove and electric fireplace on. I have fleece lined pants on,a base layer shirt, a long sleeved turtle neck, a sweatshirt and a fleece lined flannel shirt on. We have a full tank of gas and we're wearing sunglasses. And I'm still cold! :)

1 hour ago, squonk said:

1 hour ago, squonk said:

I know you've heard this a zillion times , but in cold weather ( indoor or outdoor regardless ) the worst thing you can put next to your skin is cotton .

Right now I'm wearing thin wool socks , Lycra/Spandex long underwear & crew neck long sleeve of the same fabric .

Remember , your skin sweats regardless of ambient  temperature . Cotton holds this moisture & keeps it against your skin giving you that cold / clammy feeling .

Putting these man-made materials between your skin & your shirt & jeans holds them away from your skin & lets (at least) some of the moisture your body generates escape .

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, Digger 66 said:

It turns up to 68 @ 3:30 AM 

Turning it down that far may actually use more energy than setting it to say 65 when you are asleep or working. It has to run for so long to get it back up to 68 it may be negating any savings

Digger 66
5 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Turning it down that far may actually use more energy than setting it to say 65 when you are asleep or working. It has to run for so long to get it back up to 68 it may be negating any savings

I've heard both arguments & I haven't had a gas bill over 90 bucks this year .

Last year even with that brutal winter we had I think my highest bill was 135.00 for 1000 sq.ft. ranch .

WNYPCRepair
16 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

I've heard both arguments & I haven't had a gas bill over 90 bucks this year .

Last year even with that brutal winter we had I think my highest bill was 135.00 for 1000 sq.ft. ranch .

I just looked at mine for last month, it was 90. My house is about 2800 sq ft, and I keep it at 67, except for about 5 hours a day it is set at 70. If we are home when it is set to 67, we override it and set it at 70. 

squonk

And I have offices at 76 and the ladies complain about being cold! :angry-screaming:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

And I have offices at 76 and the ladies complain about being cold! :angry-screaming:

Don't get me started. The women I used to work with kept the heat at 80. I shoved a towel in my heat vent, and still it was almost 80 in my office. They had an old dial type thermostat, so I cut an eraser off a pencil, and stuck it in so the mercury switch shut off sooner, at about 72. They set it to 80, and the real temp was 72. I would walk through their office and say, hey ladies, are you nice and warm? Oh yes, it's nice in here, don't you dare touch it. 

Oh, no problem, I am comfortable too. LOL

• Like 2

Digger 66
43 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I just looked at mine for last month, it was 90. My house is about 2800 sq ft, and I keep it at 67, except for about 5 hours a day it is set at 70. If we are home when it is set to 67, we override it and set it at 70. 

Point taken , but there's just something inside me that says " when you're going to be gone for 12 hours at a time , turn the heat down " .

• Like 1

squonk

I like when it's a digital stat. It says the room temp is 74. and they will say, " It's says 74 but I KNOW IT"S NOT 74!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 2

roadapples

My insignificant other wants the heat at 75* in the winter and the AC set at 68* in the summer... Go figure...

• Like 1

953 nut

In the late '60s I bought my first house in Upstate NY, we didn't have programmable thermostats then so I MacGyvered together two thermostats and a seven day time clock. One thermostat was in the basement, set at 45 to keep the pipes from freezing and the other was in the living room at a comfortable setting. Monday through Friday at 7:00 am it would switch to the one in the basement; at 3:30 pm it switched to the one upstairs. On weekends it stayed connected to the one upstairs, worked great.

When I moved to Florida and sold the house I completely forgot to tell the Realtor about the thermostats, the sale took place in the late spring and there were no issues. As the winter weather set in the stay-at-home mom complained to her husband about how cold the house was all day, he would look at her and say its nice and warm, what the heck are you talking about. This went on for a few weeks until the wife happened to mention it to my mother at church. Mom gave me a call and I called them and explained that she wasn't crazy after-all.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

My insignificant other wants the heat at 75* in the winter and the AC set at 68* in the summer... Go figure...

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Point taken , but there's just something inside me that says " when you're going to be gone for 12 hours at a time , turn the heat down " .

I used to do the same, till I read an article about it. Everything in your house gets down to the coldest temp, then it has to heat everything back up to the normal temp. Basically, you have a house full of ice cubes to heat up. :)

It really hit home when I was home sick one day. The smart thermostats learn that they have to kick on early to get your house back to the normal temp, so they come on early enough to warm it up by that time. Mine was set to go back to 70 when the kids got home at 3. The day I was sick, I realized it was kicking on at 12 to warm it up by 3, and it ran continuously for 3 hours

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Edited by WNYPCRepair
duplicate

Digger 66

A different kind of "cold-one" :banana-skier:

IMG_20160214_042430_962.jpg

Ed Kennell

Now that's cold Digger.

+1 here with no wind this morning and it actually feels warmer than yesterdays high of +20 w/ 20MPH NW wind.

It hasn't snowed since Friday,  but the pennDot plows went by every half hour all night to keep the roads from drifting shut.

Edited by ekennell