elcamino/wheelhorse

replacement engines

elcamino/wheelhorse

Under the weather for the last few days and bored stiff, I was scanning Flea Bay and discovered motors by Caroll Stream Motor Company . Prices were not bad and I was was wondering if anyone knew anything about the engines or had experience with them. I like the HF engines ( I have a 6.5 hp on a push mower) but they don't have electric start on the engines under 22 hp. Thinking about repowering my Commando 800, but 22 hp is too much and I am old and cranny don't pull on any motor that is on a riding mower or tractor. I just did a quick scan so if anyone has option , please let me know.

tractorhogg

I'd go with a 10hp Tecumseh replacement engine, more money, but I doubt if any Chinese clone harbor freight engine will be near as durable or long lasting. There is one on ebay for 364.00 shipped to your door. Item number, 131659832376, I'm not sure if this has the right crank, but it is electric start and I'm sure this is about what you might pay for a good Tecumseh or Briggs horizontal 8hp or 10hp. These prices might be a third more than the Harbor freight engines, but again It should be a one time thing, not something you buy with the knowledge that another one will be needed in a few years

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, tractorhogg said:

I'd go with a 10hp Tecumseh replacement engine, more money, but I doubt if any Chinese clone harbor freight engine will be near as durable or long lasting. There is one on ebay for 364.00 shipped to your door. Item number, 131659832376, I'm not sure if this has the right crank, but it is electric start and I'm sure this is about what you might pay for a good Tecumseh or Briggs horizontal 8hp or 10hp. These prices might be a third more than the Harbor freight engines, but again It should be a one time thing, not something you buy with the knowledge that another one will be needed in a few years

Nice catch!  Didn't know there were new Tecumsehs out there!  Still got to add an air filter.

Edited by DennisThornton
add
  • Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE HAD 2 CARROL STREAM DIESELS AND THEY ARE O.K.

bds1984

A few years ago I purchased an electric start 6.5 HP engine from them to power an air-conditioner pump.  It started easy and ran very, very quiet.  The only part of these engines that I am unsure of is the charging capability on the smaller units.  One time we needed a replacement ignition switch and other accessories from them and they shipped it out right away so I am guessing they just part out a certain percentage of their engines right from the get-go.  

tractorhogg
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Nice catch!  Didn't know there were new Tecumsehs out there!  Still got to ad an air filter.

I think they are reorganized under a different company, air filter should interchange  from the old one, mine did. I put one of these on a my Massey MF8 replacing the Tecumseh HH80. The new air filter was oval and it wouldn't fit through the round hole in the grill, but the old one bolted right onto the new engine. Mine came with both electric and pull start, if the battery was dead, I could reach over and pull it, usually started on first or second pull.

DSCF0439.JPG

DSCF0444.JPG

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I thought Tecumseh had gone the way of a gooney bird . I have a 10 hp Tecumseh that was fine unit the electronic's went south and could not find a replacement. Never had any problem with engine , ran find until electronic's died. Carroll Stream has a 16hp for a little more than the price that Tractorhogg mentioned with free delivery. Since Commando 800 has been setting so long I may wait unit after the Big Show in PA. before I make a final decision. Thanks for the information.

can whlvr

I like Hondas,ya more money but in my opinion they are worth every penny

• Like 1

tractorhogg

Honda's used to be the best engine around or at least one of best, but a few years ago they started outsourcing them to China and Thailand to save on labor cost. The consumer affairs link below and googling the names Honda engine review will show very mixed reviews, quality control at the small engine plant seems to be the worst, the best reviews come from the larger twins that are still made in Japan or the US. My local repair shop will not work on any small Honda engines anymore, anything less than 8-10 hp they say "take it back to where you bought it". Of course their years of impeccable reputation allows them to still be spoken highly of, Dutch Boy and Sears paint had the same residual reputation as long after the quality was gone, and large percentage of people still viewed them as a quality product. CAN WHLVR is right though, quality is worth every penny, but it does take new research to keep up with these companies, as things change rapidly in today's global marketplace.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/honda_lawn_mower.html

can whlvr

I havnt bought a Honda in years now,havnt needed to because they (usedtoo)last a long time with good maintanance

083.jpg

tractorhogg
11 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

I havnt bought a Honda in years now,havnt needed to because they (usedtoo)last a long time with good maintanance

083.jpg

Yeah, that old GX395? engine was made in Japan and were tough as nails, the new ones made in Chine are pure junk. Like I said, in these days things change fast. BTW if you remove the screw on the pull start you should be able to rotate it so you can start it from the seat. Bet there is no need, but just sayin. I opted for the Tecumseh because I could use my existing tank, cables, and pulley's

Edited by tractorhogg

can whlvr

thanks for the idea to rotate the pull start,thats an old one I have for back up when the rope breaks,i have one ready allways,im not sure you could start her from the seat when its cold out,she starts first pull allways,but 2 hands are a good idea with these,it can pull your shouler out if your not carefull,but any way these old style Hondas were hard to beat

Ken B

I NEVER thought I would purchase a Made in china engine. My neighbor was going to throw this Little Wonder in the trash because the Briggs 9 hp threw a rod. Instead he gave it to me and I figured a good motor would come along. Well I waited a little too long and nothing came along so I did some research on the Harbor Freight 301 cc engine and all of the reviews were good. I think I walked out paying 225 bucks for it, I'll admit, I was ashamed that I purchased a chinese engine and I didn't have high hopes of it being any good... Well I'll tell ya what, it fired on the second pull and it runs extremely strong. I used this blower when the 9hp Briggs was still good on it and the chinese engine has a lot more balls! The jury is still out on how long it will last....

20151101_132706_zpsmh9iuknk.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Those Harbor Freight engines have my vote too.... I have one of the 6.5's on my kids Yerf Dog go-cart and it starts easy and runs along with my 220 in the seat or my 15 yr old son and my 13 daughter sitting side by side. I am going to buy one of the yank start 13 hp (I think its that much...) and re-power a wheel horse and just run the wheels off to see how it does.

For what its worth I'd buy a Harbor Freight motor way before I'd buy a Tecumseh.... they where good in cold weather applications

---but--- the carbs have always sucked. they didn't like summer work either. That's just my .02 and that's also coming from a guy that has a soft spot for a Briggs... ;)