6.0 powerstroke

My carb got ethanoled

6.0 powerstroke

My plow machine hasn't seen much (any) use this winter, so I figured while it was warm and I had time I would make sure it would start and run still

nope, won't start, check spark, fuel filter is full, fires off ether, and fuel starts dumping out of the carb. I pull the carb off and find a jelly/goo inside the fuel bowl and all up in the jet

apparently I put regular gas in over the summer at some point , instead of ethanol free.   At least I caught it before I needed it

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Howie

I have seen that several times from that ethanol laced gas. Sometimes it seems like it does not have to sit very long either.

I showed some I drained out of a mini tiller to the owner who is a farmer, he couldn't believe it until seen. He buys his fuel

from the Farm Bureau Co-op because he thinks it sells his grain.

David

6.0 powerstroke

This tractor sat quite a bit this year, so I wonder if some moisture got into the fuel too

ive seen gunk and crud before , but not this stuff

ACman

I've been using Star Tron fuel additive with all gas and seems to be working so far.

• Like 1

Howie

I think the moisture is what will cause this. The first time I encountered what you have I had cleaned a carb and a 

few weeks later it was back with the same thing. Dhould have drained all the fuel in the thing I guess. This was 

on one of those green tractors.

roadapples
24 minutes ago, ACman said:

I've been using Star Tron fuel additive with all gas and seems to be working so far.

Same here. Been using it for about five years. So far so good..

• Like 1

varosd

only running ethanol free in all my small engines.  a bit more money but after you add up the cost of those additives it evens out.

a great web site to find a ethanol free gas station near you.

http://pure-gas.org/

• Like 4

Tankman

I like Berrymans products. Work great, https://www.berrymanproducts.com/

My grandson and I drive to our local airport. Gas is 100 octane, low lead, non-ethanol.

• Like 2

Shynon

My local gas station has 92 octane, no ethanol for the HD guys and muscle cars. I use that, sure it cost a little more but I only buy 2.5 gallons at time, never any problems like that. Clean her up and switch to non ethanol fuel and you should be good.

• Like 3

Wishin4a416

Some ugly stuff. I see that every spring at fishing camp at Erie. Carbs are rebuilt because boat isnt running right. Sometimes it is reddish in color  because of the Winter additive. A mobile mechanic service gets a lot of work out of my camp because of that ethanol.I always fogged my motors and ran them dry and never had any issues.

KC9KAS

That is why I add a can of SEAFOAM to every 5 gallon can of gasoline I buy!

DennisThornton

Startron, Stabil, Seafoam or something.  I've just had too many troubles with 10% Ethanol gas!  It's OK to use but not to sit or store.  I used to add something to ALL gas that came home in a can but now I don't for the machines I use all the time.  After a year I have no complaints.  I don't use untreated in 2 cycles though!  Even though most 2 cycle oil has stabilizer I've still had problems.  I'm tired of tearing apart  those little carbs!

clueless

For the past 20 years I store 45gal. of gas during hurricane season, I used to use stabil, or startron. About 10 years ago found this stuff PRI-G, works better the the other, gas has a longer shelf, and cheaper,16oz bottle treats 250 gal of gas. Hard to find locally, $24.00 on Amazon.  A few years ago I had a 15gal container of gas with this stuff in it that was 2 years old, used it with no problems. I do use non-ethanol gas so this my be over kill but it's cheap insurance, hate it when my equipment or outboards won't run when I need them!

Chris in f Florida 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, clueless said:

For the past 20 years I store 45gal. of gas during hurricane season, I used to use stabil, or startron. About 10 years ago found this stuff PRI-G, works better the the other, gas has a longer shelf, and cheaper,16oz bottle treats 250 gal of gas. Hard to find locally, $24.00 on Amazon.  A few years ago I had a 15gal container of gas with this stuff in it that was 2 years old, used it with no problems. I do use non-ethanol gas so this my be over kill but it's cheap insurance, hate it when my equipment or outboards won't run when I need them!

Chris in f Florida 

I had almost forgotten that I bought a bottle of PRI-G intended for the same purpose.  Haven't tried it but it sounds like you have proven it!  Good to hear and thanks for sharing!  For long storage I would definitely suggest non-ethanol!

Digger 66

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/mechanic-in-a-bottle-4-oz?cm_mmc%3DSEM-_-Google-_-DynamicAdGroups-_-AllSiteTSCCirc1601&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlO20BRCcieCSncPlqqMBEiQAOZGMnJzQZk2F7I87gFkun9YhYeZe_se5zS4WE6TgRPUo_OIaAgDt8P8HAQ                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the only stuff I've see on YouTube that will actually "bond" water molecules to fuel so it can be burnt .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

lynnmor

While additives might be some help, just remember that when you buy 10 gallons you get 1 gallon of ethanol to deal with.  A few tablespoons of anything can't be expected to do very much.

Martin
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

While additives might be some help, just remember that when you buy 10 gallons you get 1 gallon of ethanol to deal with.  A few tablespoons of anything can't be expected to do very much.

Yep, thats why I don't bother with additives and ethanol gas. I only buy Premium ethanol free gas from the same station for all my equipment. That goes for all my vehicles too. Everything just runs better and i never have to deal with any of the ethanol related issues i see in this thread or on the forum. The only time i deal with these issues is when i pick up a new to me piece of equipment and the previous owner has let it sit with that crap in the gas.

• Like 1