formariz

What glue to use on magnets

formariz

Picked up a NOS K301 today that it has been on the shelf since the 70's. It had a disturbing rattle under flywheel when moved by hand. Took off flywheel and found that adhesive failed on all but one magnet. One has also cracked in half. It was obviously exposed to some moisture. What is the recommended glue to glue them back into place?

russellmc301

jb weld is always been a fix it all thing, but i don't know if effect anything.

Edited by russellmc301

AMC RULES

Covered in post #42 here...

...used a two part epoxy to reattach them to the flywheel, with good results.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

pacer

Epoxy or JB will do fine - the secret is gonna be to get the areas CLEAN!

I had 2 to shatter and one broke in 2 pieces, I used JB replacing the shattered ones and putting the 2 pieces back together after sand blasting. Now have some 10-12hrs on the engine and no probs.

gwest_ca

Each magnet's polarity has to be oriented in the correct direction also does it not? Alternating possibly?

Garry

KC9KAS
11 hours ago, pacer said:

Epoxy or JB will do fine - the secret is gonna be to get the areas CLEAN!

I had 2 to shatter and one broke in 2 pieces, I used JB replacing the shattered ones and putting the 2 pieces back together after sand blasting. Now have some 10-12hrs on the engine and no probs.

The broken pieces will have opposite polarity when you try to "re-attach" them.

5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Each magnet's polarity has to be oriented in the correct direction also does it not? Alternating possibly?

Garry

This is what I am I was thinking!

pacer

My replacing the magnets were a while back and my memory isnt so good anymore -- but, I'm pretty sure when placing the magnet in the flywheel it'll only go one way. If placing it 'backwards" it will jump back out:eek:

formariz

The plot thickens? I do have some literature here regarding magnet polarity. I wonder if it makes a difference here. All of my magnets are curved to fit  wheel so they can't be reversed. They can however be flipped end for end. Most of them have a orange mark on one side.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stevasaurus

Cas, in the Kohler manual...Section 8 page 1...the magnets polarity is alternated so as to produce an alternating current.  Alternate North and South poles.  :)

• Like 1

formariz
9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Cas, in the Kohler manual...Section 8 page 1...the magnets polarity is alternated so as to produce an alternating current.  Alternate North and South poles.  :)

Can you give me link to it? Somehow I can't see that in all the manuals known to me. I am also wondering if I have a 15 or a 30 amp system.

formariz

Found it. It however just confused me even more. When testing for polarity on magnets I found that these magnets have the same polarity on both ends and the reverse in the center. After a little more research though my literature I found the clarification to my confusion. I had printed this years back from researching some stuff about Tecumseh ignitions. The way it is described on the Kohler site is really not correct as it pertains to the individual magnets.Here is the link to it http://enginesandmagnets.com/id2.html.  

Here is the end result on my flywheel, blue dots is South, green dots is North.

IMG_0029.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Molon_Labe

Here's a humorous tutorial on Kohler flywheel magnet repair. At 5:20 he mentions using JB Weld for the magnets.

• Like 1

formariz

That video is awesome !

• Like 1