rem722

603 Finished!

rjg854

That's a great looking job you did there. You should be ecstatic about what you accomplished. :bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue: :happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Wow!  Maybe the Ponds should have used your hood design.  I'm not a rigid purist, especially when the change is a betterment and I think you found two!

I really like it a lot!

Would have like to have seen the hood splitting process.

• Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a very nice looking unit.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Cool mods, nice job.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 4

rem722
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

Cool mods, nice job.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Thank you, I appreciate that!

13 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

That is a very nice looking unit.

Thank you very much!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Any picts of the hinge set up to share here?    :thanks:

• Like 2

rem722
17 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Wow!  Maybe the Ponds should have used your hood design.  I'm not a rigid purist, especially when the change is a betterment and I think you found two!

I really like it a lot!

Would have like to have seen the hood splitting process.

Thanks Dennis, I basically made my cut on the hood and then used a bead roller. And the Honda 190cc worked out well too. Thank you for the support.

23 minutes ago, Ranger13148 said:

That's a great looking job you did there. You should be ecstatic about what you accomplished. :bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue: :happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

Thanks Ranger for the kind words!!!

DennisThornton

I've used a flange maker in an impact hammer to create that lip in flat sheet but it would have failed horribly on the rounds.  Any issues with the bead roller on the rounded curves?

• Like 1

rem722
33 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I've used a flange maker in an impact hammer to create that lip in flat sheet but it would have failed horribly on the rounds.  Any issues with the bead roller on the rounded curves?

Really its just the opposite.  The bead roller it extended enough to accept various depths of metal. I c-clamped a "stop" on the roller as to get a 3/8" bead and cranked it slowly. It worked great.

SPINJIM

Beautiful work.  Great way to get around the hood problem on the 603.  I have a Honda GX 160 that I want to put on my 604, and haven't decided how to modify the hood.  Hope you don't mind if I copy your idea.   I'd love to see some details of how you hinged the hood.   How much did you have to raise the engine to have the pulley line up with the belt guard, etc.?   Did I miss some earlier pictures of the work in progress?

Be very proud of the job you did.   It's a shame to cut grass with it.   This year's featured model at the WH show in Arendtsville is Customized Horses.  Any chance you'll be bringing it there?   I agree that 'improved' or 'customized' tractors are more INTERESTING than restored ones.  I have some of both.

Great job. 

• Like 1

rem722
23 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Beautiful work.  Great way to get around the hood problem on the 603.  I have a Honda GX 160 that I want to put on my 604, and haven't decided how to modify the hood.  Hope you don't mind if I copy your idea.   I'd love to see some details of how you hinged the hood.   How much did you have to raise the engine to have the pulley line up with the belt guard, etc.?   Did I miss some earlier pictures of the work in progress?

Be very proud of the job you did.   It's a shame to cut grass with it.   This year's featured model at the WH show in Arendtsville is Customized Horses.  Any chance you'll be bringing it there?   I agree that 'improved' or 'customized' tractors are more INTERESTING than restored ones.  I have some of both.

Great job. 

If you like this idea, please go ahead and use it. Maybe you can do better. I simply took a measurement of the old engine in place in reference to the frame for the center of the PTO on the engine. Thank you for the kind words, I really thought guys would say I ruined it.

stevebo

I am a fan for sure. Like the hood set up.

• Like 1

rem722
1 minute ago, stevebo said:

I am a fan for sure. Like the hood set up.

Thanks Steve!!!

oliver2-44

Great mods and nice restore.

Good to hear your going to keep it working!

I,m not familiar with a bead roller, so I would love to see a sample of how  its done

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

How does that go...."A thing of beauty is a joy forever".....enjoy this little beauty.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    Have you patented the hood modifications?  I really like the work you have done there.   :woohoo:

• Like 1

Terry M

Just saw this...Have to say thats one very well done custom hood modification .      I Like it, Very Well Done!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 2

Racinbob

When I saw your post in another thread and you mentioned 'splitting the hood' I figured you meant you cut a slot so it could be removed without taking the steering wheel off. That was very common in the 60's. Then I went to this thread. WOW! That looks great! Not only the hood but the entire restoration. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Phil854

Super Job !!! That hood is COOL  You should be proud.

• Like 1

JC 1965

That's a beauty for sure. Give your self a pat on the back for a job well done.   :thumbs2:    Tanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Looks great! You did a nice job. I bet it mows for years to come.

• Like 1

jb4249

I like the hood and how you manager it. I'd like to use your design on my Ranger. 

Any more pictures and details and or measurements would be appreciated. I guess you have a bead roller?

My hood is at the metal cleaner now, waiting for it to come back. They are adding 2.5" to the length. hinging the front is a good idea.

Ted

• Like 1

jeff lary

Boy that really looks nice , good job !

• Like 1

AlwaysLookin80

Tilt hood was pretty clever. Very nice job. 

• Like 1