kasey54

E - Tank Question

DennisThornton

Metal prep is pretty much necessary before priming.  Quick and easy and many different brands.

kasey54

Dennis, I did a bit of a Google search about metal prep. I failed to find anything about how to apply it, and how soon afterwards before you should prime it. Do you know of a link or tutorial on the subject? I was hoping that I could prep some parts and store them till warmer weather for painting. Is this the stuff to do that with?

DennisThornton
9 hours ago, kasey54 said:

Dennis, I did a bit of a Google search about metal prep. I failed to find anything about how to apply it, and how soon afterwards before you should prime it. Do you know of a link or tutorial on the subject? I was hoping that I could prep some parts and store them till warmer weather for painting. Is this the stuff to do that with?

Well, some quick tips from my experience every brand I've seen comes concentrated and you mix with water, apply and keep wet for the recommended time (a minute or two for most I think...)  rinse and I like to dry immediately with a blow gun and suggest priming as soon as completely dry but it should last without priming for perhaps a few days (though weather, humidity, somebody setting a cold beer on it!).  Not rinsing right away will keep it longer and then re-wet to dissolve, rinse, dry and prime.  My directions may differ from your choice of product so follow their instructions.  Most are phosphoric acid with some wetting agents but under several brands.  "Googling "Metal-Prep" brought up lots of info for me...

• Like 1

can whlvr

I once made a tank from a metal tank,it worked well but the barrel will leak sooner or later

Edited by can whlvr

kasey54

I mixed up a 5 gal pail last week end and it froze solid . So I will wait for warmer weather. But

I have my 55 gal plastic drum ready , and some wheels to try.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Kasey, what temperatures did you have going on for it to freeze??  I ran mine all last week with no problem...temps were 20's, 30's and 40's.  :)

kasey54

Steve, I wasn't running it I just set up a five gallon pail with the washing soda .I  live in Schenectady , and the bucket was in Ballston Spa. I believe the temps matched what you describe, if low 20's are included. I wasn't there, but Saturday am the bucket was froze .Im guessing if I had it running it would have stayed liquid.

• Like 1