WNYPCRepair

Saw this beast around the corner today

waterlooboy2hp
2 hours ago, ekennell said:

Unique design...driving the impeller of the lower auger.  Looks like it will turn 4-5 x the auger RPM.

===========================================================

Not quite. The engine chain drives to one end of the impeller shaft. The other end of the impeller shaft drives the lower auger, which in turn , ties to the upper auger. A small sprocket in the middle of the impeller shaft, also drives the input on the transmission.  Output on the transmission, then goes to the axle for the wheels. ---- John

Edited by waterlooboy2hp
change wording
  • Like 1

jeff lary

Hi all,

I came in here with a question I wanted to ask. I usually only go to the W.H. side of the forum so I have never even seen this forum before. The first thing I want to say is wow those old blowers are something else what a great job you guys did restoring them ! I would love to own either one of em. They both look absolutely fan-dam-tastic.

Now for my question,.. but this forum may be the answer to it anyway? I was wondering if there was a " small engine" forum that people post to on Red Square? I belong to several forums and non of them have a general purpose small engine forum. I have thought about getting an old blower of the like maybe a rototiller or what ever and restoring it for just something to do and I was wondering if there was a place where a fella could ask advice about just any ole thing not a " brand specific " place. It is funny to me really I am on a chainsaw site regularly and if someone has a question about anything but a saw I don't think it is receive very well. Maybe it is just me but most of the forums I belong to have so much knowledge that I have to believe the knowledge spreads beyond the normal topic at hand. Just because you work on Wheel Horses don't mean you could not contribute about a Briggs and Stratton as well ya know? Anyhow thanks for anyone's response and the old equipment  you have posted here is just beautiful ,Jeff 

C-101plowerpower
38 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

Hi all,

I came in here with a question I wanted to ask. I usually only go to the W.H. side of the forum so I have never even seen this forum before. The first thing I want to say is wow those old blowers are something else what a great job you guys did restoring them ! I would love to own either one of em. They both look absolutely fan-dam-tastic.

Now for my question,.. but this forum may be the answer to it anyway? I was wondering if there was a " small engine" forum that people post to on Red Square? I belong to several forums and non of them have a general purpose small engine forum. I have thought about getting an old blower of the like maybe a rototiller or what ever and restoring it for just something to do and I was wondering if there was a place where a fella could ask advice about just any ole thing not a " brand specific " place. It is funny to me really I am on a chainsaw site regularly and if someone has a question about anything but a saw I don't think it is receive very well. Maybe it is just me but most of the forums I belong to have so much knowledge that I have to believe the knowledge spreads beyond the normal topic at hand. Just because you work on Wheel Horses don't mean you could not contribute about a Briggs and Stratton as well ya know? Anyhow thanks for anyone's response and the old equipment  you have posted here is just beautiful ,Jeff 

like this? http://myoldmachine.com/

WNYPCRepair

Interesting looking creature

Ed Kennell
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:53 AM, waterlooboy2hp said:

====================================================================

This morning, I see that the National Weather Service is now calling for 12"+, for York.  I have 7 snow blowers, so the little Homko will stay in the shop.  I have this machine, that I want to try out. I bought it on Craig`s List last January and restored it this past summer. I picked it up down your way, a bit West of Rt. 74, just off of Rt. 425. --- John

photo ss-RF_zpsfiebezks.jpg   photo ss-LF_zpsxlm44vyy.jpg  photo ss-augers_zps6wghvjfr.jpg

Hey John, did you get to try the SNOW SHARK  last week ?  A video would really be nice.

jeff lary

Maybe I will read some after supper. Thanks for the link

Pullstart
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:12 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

image.thumb.jpg.95ce1a2098f3bb1eca2fc1e5

Looks like we've got the same stack! 

IMG_0873_zpskmm8s9dt.jpg

• Like 2

waterlooboy2hp
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:39 PM, ekennell said:

Hey John, did you get to try the SNOW SHARK  last week ?  A video would really be nice.

============================================

Indeed I did, but I got a bit more than I bargained for (good & Bad).  On the good side, I was in 24" of snow and throwing it  40 feet. That was even with the 6.25hp engine RPM pulling down some. I think I can say that I owe the good throwing distance, to the impeller mod, that I did.  The original impeller blade, was only the white area in the photo. About a 3/8" gap, all around. I made some Stainless steel plates, to increase the blade area on both sides and even 1/2" on the back edge. The extra on the front edge, was left short and the rubber pads were added to close up the rest of the gap.

I cleared most of the driveway, and went down to clear the 40" plow bank, left at the bottom of the driveway.  Now for the Bad part. --- I was tunneling through and lost the drive to the wheels. Something got between the chain and axle sprocket and the chain climbed up on the ends of the teeth and jammed.  Was able to tap the chain back in place, with a hammer and punch. Wheels would not engage, so I suspect that the 1/8" roll pin, that holds the little drive sprocket on the output of the transmission, sheared off. When I bought the machine, that drive chain and small sprocket were missing. Same thing may have happened to the previous owner. 

I plan to step up one size, on the roll pin, and add a guard to cover and protect the axle drive chain, as it is so close to the ground and subject to chunks of ice. I had planned to take some video, later on, in another part of the yard. It was not to be. Maybe next winter.  ---- John 

Edited by waterlooboy2hp
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the report  John.   Sounds like she did a good job.  The axle should be an easy fix.

My tall chute on the 520 did a super job. I also added the rubber paddles to the impeller and put a smaller pulley on the blower to speed up the auger. 

I did lose the rubber paddles though.  MY neighbor worked on the stone road with his FEL and got a lot of stones mixed in the snow.  They chewed up the rubber paddles real quick.

russellmc301

my neighbor  used to have one of the white steel wheel snowblower, never used but sold it to my uncle to put with his 2 other cool snow blowers.