wrightorchid

mower deck spindle removal

wrightorchid

Is it possible to remove a center spindle on a 42" SD deck on a 312-8 without removing the pulley? I need to hammer the deck back in place, after hitting a live oak root.  

doc724

No, the spindle assy comes out the bottom and the pulley holds the spindle in place.  If you get the nuts off the pulley, the spindle will drop out, but the spindle housing will remain attached to the deck.  The pulley should come right off (but not always)  Use Kroil and heat.  Do NOT pry the pulleys-they get damaged very easily.   Consider to PULL the dent back into correct orientation using threaded bolts if possible.  A lot of energy went into deforming the deck when you hit the root.  You have to put at least that much energy back into it to deform it back into shape

wrightorchid

to clarify, I would like to be able to remove the spindle body/assembly, the whole thing, so I can access the deck sheet metal.  The area around the back/(towards the rear of the deck) directly around the housing is too high, so the blade is cutting too low in the front of the deck, by about an inch or so.  I will have to remove some of the hanger assembly and tensioner, just to get to the bent area.  The less I have to take apart, the better. I would prefer not to use a torch, which would destroy the paint, but might be easier.

cleat

You need to remove the pulley then the spindle will unbolt and drop out.

If you hit a root that hard check the spindle shaft, bearings, and blade for damage.

All of these are easier to check with the spindle removed as well.

Cleat

daveoman1966

If you have a small hydraulic bottle jack, you MAY be able to straighten the sheet-metal deck without removing the spindle...MAYBE.

1) Take the deck off the tractor 2) stand it up on back gage wheels (remove wheels to stabilize it)...clamped to a door jamb or something else vertical. 3) set base of jack on the 3/4" gage wheel bar / axle. 4) use short 2 x 4 or whatever is long enough to reach from top of bottle jack to center of dented area, to LT or RT of spindle. 5)begin to pump up the jack...slowly, watching that it stays straight....reposition jack or 2 x 4 or add shims as necessary.  6) When dent is forced back to original, take it a little bit further as it will tend to spring back to dented position.

I've done this before, successfully, with just a 4 ton jack.  Go slowly with this....it the jack pops out, it will be very sudden and you're likely to scream if in the way. (Maybe an in-law could stand in for you.)  .  

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Don1977

We can give better advice if we have pictures of the damage.

• Like 1

wrightorchid

I'll add some pics when I get a chance tonight.