lynnmor

Rubber Tire Chains

lynnmor

On a 520H, I replaced the original 2 ply Dico tires with Kenda K500 4 ply tires.  I used the rubber tire chains on the old tires with good results, but with the new tires the ride is so rough that tractor damage will surely result.  The Kenda tires are rated to 20 PSI and, at that pressure, the fillings will fall out of your teeth.  I reduced the pressure to 13 PSI and that helped a lot, but still way too rough.  Looks like another set of wheels and tires are in order.

oldredrider

You might want to drop the pressure to 10 lbs and add wheel weights. 4 ply tires naturally are "stiffer". Besides,  wheel weights last forever.

Ed Kennell

I'd fill-em with washer fluid and use 2 PSI.

• Like 1

doc724

I also replaced my Dico's with Kenda 500's on my 416H.  I run them at 12 psi (same as on my 520xi).  Unfortunately, regular tire chains will not work on these tires on the 416H without interference with the tractor.  So, I am going to go "bare".  I do have wheel weights and capacity for six 40# suitcase weights and the hydro with a blower has a pretty constant load (unlike a plow) so I may be OK.  I was planning to look into those temporary rubber chains but have yet to do it.

shallowwatersailor

The Operator Manual calls for 12 psi. I would go from the 20 psi that you have to the recommended 12 psi and try that.

I run 20 psi front and rear on the 5xi tractors as Toro found the usual Toro Wheel Horse 12 psi for other models was too low, and updated the manual in 1999. The 5xi weighs about 400 pounds more than a 520-H.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

lynnmor

I have 75lb wheel weights on each rear wheel.  The tires just begin to round out at the 13 PSI, that's one reason that I didn't go lower.  The other reason is that the rubber tire chains are to be installed tightly with just a few lb and then inflated to tighten them up.  At 13, they are still too loose.  I may have to go bare-footed and see if the new tires have enough traction.  I do have the option of swapping the with another tractor that has Dicos on it.  I learned the hard way that the rubber chains just aren't suitable for stiff tires.

shallowwatersailor

My 518xi has Titan (same as Dico) 23x10.50-12 turf tires and the 520xi has Kenda 23x10.50-12 turf tires. With the Titan tires, I had to cinch up three links for my rubber chains but fit perfect on the Kenda tires. In fact, I started by cinching them - but found I didn't have to.

Actually I haven't used chains for the past few years - but have them if I need them!