Brian01

Retro/patina paint job

DennisThornton

I'll cover the floor with a drop cloth and try to save all the patina when I start on my 654.  Wouldn't want to start a bidding war but I might only have enough for 2 or 3 tractors so perhaps I should take advance deposits.

• Like 4

Brian01

I have the original engine, just needs some care. Yes, I agree, really need to leave this one be, and find one with original patina.

IMG_20151025_093251681.jpg

Edited by Brian01

AMC RULES
post-8750-0-28638600-1406556674_thumb.jp
This look can be achieved, but it's an add to, and take away process...
like Ken said, nothing but trial and error.   
:confusion-shrug:
  • Like 2

Brian01

Yep, I would have to Red and Brown primer it, then red, and sand and sand

DennisThornton
post-8750-0-28638600-1406556674_thumb.jp
This look can be achieved, but it's an add to, and take away process...
like Ken said, nothing but trial and error.   

Craig, you posted a great example for a real need for this art/skill we are discussing (or that I am poking fun at, but here's the other side).  Your old girl looks great and basically can't be replicated so what not leave it as it is.  But, now maybe you want a belt guard and nothing you can find looks like it came with that tractor or is original!  Now what?  No guard at all, or an obvious didn't come with this tractor guard?

I've age or distressed furniture and replacement parts to match with some success but I've never needed to nor tried to match metal parts.  Honestly, I don't feel qualified to tackle it, though I might have some ideas.  

Back to "poking fun", I would have no desire to distress a whole tractor.  Got plenty of that already and see more everyday on CL!  
:ROTF:

• Like 1

Brian01

Yes Dennis, I changed my mind, just done a little on the frame and foot rests and brake pedal, the rest is staying "as is". The spots I have already done are going to wear anyways.

Just gonna keep my eye out for a round hood with original patina and go from there.

DennisThornton

Yes Dennis, I changed my mind, just done a little on the frame and foot rests and brake pedal, the rest is staying "as is". The spots I have already done are going to wear anyways.

Just gonna keep my eye out for a round hood with original patina and go from there.

I'm not picking on you, well I am, but just poking a bit of fun at you.  What you are striving for has redemption though, and it's an art that I don't command but still has virtue!  
But does this mean that you won't be bidding on my 654 dust?  
:text-lol:

• Like 2

Brian01

lol no dust needed...I'll take the Tractor though. :D

Brian01

Any suggestions on painting a seat? No matter how hard I try n keep paint on it, at least once a month I or someone else sits on it, it ends up chipping or flaking paint off.

As I said before it has primer, black then antique white. It happened yesterday, so I repainted again, then sanded it down with 60 grit lightly, hoping that maybe if its dull and a little rough, that it won't do it again..

Brian01

Well, the seat turned out like poo again, so I touched it up a but again and clear coated it this time, hopefully that helps, letting it dry good over night, may put another coat or two on tomorrow, if needed.

Zeek

The other guys summed it up pretty well.  I had original paint and wet sanded it with 320.  Wash/dry/clear coat.  Lasts for years.  I used this tractor on a regular basis.  It was just hauling a firewood cart Sunday!

Had the seat resewn too, but that's not in the photo.

DSC05752.JPG

DSC06542.JPG

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 4

Brian01

That looks great!

953 nut
On 11/18/2015, 5:50:08, 953 nut said:

I remembered seeing an article on doing the patina paint job and went to my Street Rodder Magazine library and found it.   :woohoo:   Even better, I was able to find it on line so I didn't have to scan it and get in trouble for copyright infringement! Read and enjoy.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/1009sr-patina-paint-job/

I have scanned the full magazine article on Patina painting and will PM it as an attachment if anyone wants to read the whole thing.

Brian01

Pretty interesting...I read it the other day..

I've decided to just leave the RJ the way it is and find me a Tractor that already has some patina.

I done the places that are going to wear anyways..looks good actually, gave it some character. 

I messed with the seat all day yesterday, trying to get it to look right. Where it had chipped off everywhere. Hoping this last fix does it.

Put antique white over the bad places, couple coats of clear, then more white, then couple more of clear. Its curing now..should have enough clear under and on top that it wont scratch and chip all the time...we'll just havfta wait n see i guess.....Here are some pics of before and after , 

IMG_20151123_171219723.jpg

IMG_20151124_095731791.jpg

IMG_20151124_095718742.jpg

IMG_20151124_122342121.jpg

• Like 1