gtofani

wheel Paint

Jeff.f

Side note on IHC red paint,, the reason Case tractors are IHC red,,,,,,   They had a boat load of IHC red paint ( rumor was over a million gallons) when they sold out to Case,, made perfect sense to change over,, 

Brian01

Bring back some of the ol patina here and there

tractorhogg

Side note on IHC red paint,, the reason Case tractors are IHC red,,,,,,   They had a boat load of IHC red paint ( rumor was over a million gallons) when they sold out to Case,, made perfect sense to change over,, 

I seriously doubt that story as factual, but it sounds good. Being in the paint business on both sides of the counter for over 30 years I would find it extremely improbable. Paint is almost never made or stored in that kind of quantity due to aging and storage concerns, that would be close to 18,000 55 gal barrels of paint. When IH sold out to CASE they were already heavily in debt and leveraged, no supplier would have let them, nor would management allowed the stockpiling of that much paint. IH colors were chosen because it was the more dominant brand. It sounds like one of those stories I attribute to Somerset Frisby, he's been dead a long time, but the stories keep coming around.

• Like 1

Jeff.f

Urban legend?   Lol. Probably!!     it sounded good,, I was selling case tractors at the time but was a big IHC fan from years on the farm and that's the story I was told so I'm sticking to it!
 I think you are correct about dominate brand ,  IHC had a great transmission that would have really set them above the rest but ran out of money, Case,s gain for sure!

• Like 1

tractorhogg

In 1979 IH named a new CEO, Archie McCardell, who was determined to improve profit margins and drastically cut ballooning costs. Unprofitable model lines were terminated, and factory production curtailed. By the end of the year, IH profits were at their highest in 10 years, but cash reserves were still too low. Union members became increasingly irate over production cutbacks and other cost-cutting measures. In the spring and summer of 1979, IH began short-term planning for a strike that seemed inevitable. Then on November 1, IH announced figures showing that president and chairman McCardell received a $1.8 million (in 1979 values) bonus. McCardell in turn sought less overtime, work rules, and other changes from the UAW, which led to a strike in November of 1979.

Soon after, the economy tanked, and IH faced a financial crisis. The strike lasted approximately six months. When it ended, IH had lost almost $600 million in 1979 value; over $2 billion today

By 1981 the company's finances were at their lowest point ever. The strike, accompanied by the economy and internal corporate problems, had placed IH in a hole that had only a slim way out. Things only got worse until 1984, when the bitter end came.

International Harvester, following long negotiations, agreed to sell selected assets of its agricultural products division to Tenneco Inc.. on November 26, 1984. Tenneco had a little ole subsidiary called, J.I. Case that manufactured tractors, but lacked the full line of farm implements that IH produced Like combines, cotton pickers, and tillage equipment etc.

Following the merger, tractor production at Harvester's Rock Island, Illinois Farmall Works ceased in May 1985. Production of the new CaseIH tractors moved to the J.I. Case Tractor Works in Racine, Wisconsin. Production of IH Axial-Flow combines continued at the East Moline, Illinois combine factory. Harvester's Memphis Works in Memphis, Tennessee was closed and cotton picker production was moved.

The truck and engine divisions remained, and in 1986 Harvester changed the corporate name to Navistar International Corporation as Harvester had sold the International Harvester name and the IH symbol to Tenneco Inc. as part of the sale of its agricultural products division.

So in the end it was neither CASE or IH that decided on the color, but the owner of the assets, (the wife) Tenneco.

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 2

quahog

Lead  paint   disappeared  from  the auto industry in  the  70's   replaced  by   catalized  products   complete   with  isocyanated material.  Wow ,  even more   danger,   So  standing   6  feet  away   from  the  product  may  be  safer   than to   a  few   feet  from  an  HVLP  sprayed material .   Eye  ports    are   prone  to  serious   danger as  is   any  exposed   skin. Dulux   enamel  seems   so  tame .  Any  long  term  exsposure  to  any  carcinagentic  is  not  a  good   way  to  live... or   die   .quahog

• Like 1

tractorhogg

Be very afraid when the government tells you they are doing something for you to make you safe. The FDA has never turned down a drug companies request for approval and they have taken very few drugs off the market. There is nothing more dangerous than a government that call be elected by its own employee population.

• Like 1