DennisThornton

Deck stress cracks?

bmsgaffer

I've never looked under a 48" XI deck, but take a close look at your baffles... The rear one has an overlap joint... it is not this way on any classic that I have seen, always one piece. Also, the front baffles (which I thought were only installed when mulching?) do not match from left to right... one has a graceful bend, the other comes to a point...

Like I said, never had one to compare to, but I think someone broke that one... They did a decent job fixing other than the 'caterpillar' welds so it shouldn't take much to fix. I would be real sure to check that it is level and square before fixing it up. I'd hate to put time into that and find that it doesnt cut evenly. 

Edited by bmsgaffer
terrible spelling...
  • Like 1

953 nut

It seems to me that the dies used to stamp out these decks were probably the culprit. I have three 42" side discharge decks that all have had stress cracks around the spindle mounting area where there is an abrupt bend. Also, two have had stress cracks on the rear corners where the metal was stretched in the stamping process. I have had good results butt welding the cracks using the stitch welding method. For bolt hole stress cracks I have used 16 Gauge steel plates gap welded ( weld for 1/4', skip 1/2" weld 1/4" etc ), this distributes the stress to several points and reduces the likelihood of re-occurrence.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I have two 42 sd decks that have extreme cracks around the center spindle.one deck lasted 15 years the second lasted only 5years.any idea about the main reason for this?

Toolmanbill, I think most will agree with me that those spider cracks around the spindle are from unbalanced blades.

And to everyone else following:
I haven't checked to confirm that the deck frame/shell is true yet but I did take a closer look at the welds and for other damage.  I still just don't get it.  I see no signs of impact or that the welded area was realigned.  If it were hit hard enough to rip open from the discharge all the way back another foot there surely would be some signs of bending, cracked paint/powder coat, hammer marks, impact marks but I see no other signs.  I got to go with stress cracks.  You can see at a brace where the weld has cracked and there's a small crack missed on one side.  You'll probably have to click it or load the picture to enlarge it a bit20151110_124013_(Large).thumb.jpg.786880

20151110_124049 (Large).jpg

20151110_124127 (Large).jpg

Dennis,
I have experienced the usual cracking around the lift areas on the 48" decks; your example is new to me on a WH.  It almost looks like the deck have been used over some rough terrain and it bounced a lot.  I have had that happen on a 46" deck on my dad's old Yardman garden tractor after a decade of use of mowing nearly four acres, twice a week.  It is either that or that gauge wheel caught a hold of something that was immovable or much heavier. 

I have two 42 sd decks that have extreme cracks around the center spindle.one deck lasted 15 years the second lasted only 5years.any idea about the main reason for this?

I agree.  It's as though it has to be stress cracks but they couldn't be that bad and THAT local. I did find another crack but it too is at least close by.  The rest of the deck is crack free!  Got me confused.

WNYPCRepair

Maybe he caught the rear deck wheels/axle on something?

DennisThornton

Maybe he caught the rear deck wheels/axle on something?

Almost has to be an impact but I see no signs unless as you say the wheel caught something?  But there are no signs of torn metal, distorted metal anywhere or telltale hints of how it was forced back into place!  I don't get it!

WNYPCRepair

Maybe it bent enough to crack it, then snapped back into place

bds1984

Well, what ever caused it, I'm sure that you'll fix it.  I've never thought about the blades being out of balance as a cause for that, but I suppose that after manifesting during years of use, a crack will form along any weakness in the metal's structure.  Bizarre; I can't say I've ever had a blade be off balance enough to cause that sort of issue.    If it were mine, I'd hit it with an angle grinder to smooth out that 'caterpillar' and balance the blades. 

DennisThornton

Well, what ever caused it, I'm sure that you'll fix it.  I've never thought about the blades being out of balance as a cause for that, but I suppose that after manifesting during years of use, a crack will form along any weakness in the metal's structure.  Bizarre; I can't say I've ever had a blade be off balance enough to cause that sort of issue.    If it were mine, I'd hit it with an angle grinder to smooth out that 'caterpillar' and balance the blades. 

Impact perhaps or repeated rough terrain might have but unbalanced blades didn't do this!  I'm going to grind what I can reach, make it as pretty as practical and use it. I'll watch and revisit if required.

ferguson65

Dennis, just found this, your deck's crack at the height adjuster wheel----the long rounded caterpillar weld looks just like mine does, well my weld looks a bit nicer, but the crack was the same.  I've got to believe its stress cracking from rough ground, even stepping onto that side of the deck.  The metal deck stamping is just too thin for the abuse those height wheels can dish out with nothing to tie the front and rear together IMO.  Mine has even met a few trees here and there, but has held up since I braced it.  I've got the lift brackets tearing out too, can't remember if I reinforced those or just rewelded them.  I'll post pics of my frankendeck Saturday.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Dennis, just found this, your deck's crack at the height adjuster wheel----the long rounded caterpillar weld looks just like mine does, well my weld looks a bit nicer, but the crack was the same.  I've got to believe its stress cracking from rough ground, even stepping onto that side of the deck.  The metal deck stamping is just too thin for the abuse those height wheels can dish out with nothing to tie the front and rear together IMO.  Mine has even met a few trees here and there, but has held up since I braced it.  I've got the lift brackets tearing out too, can't remember if I reinforced those or just rewelded them.  I'll post pics of my frankendeck Saturday.

I'm not sure what ALL the quoting is about (seems like more than your message) but I'm all ears and eyes for what you are about to share.
Thanks!

bmsgaffer

Stepping on it... I'll bet thats it. Some hefty fella was using that side as his step ladder for 15 years. That mixed in with the heavy duty wear and tear a mower deck sees anyway and voila, crack.

• Like 1

ferguson65

Stepping on it... I'll bet thats it. Some hefty fella was using that side as his step ladder for 15 years. That mixed in with the heavy duty wear and tear a mower deck sees anyway and voila, crack.

Not sure if you're doubting or trying to be funny.............................These 48" xi decks are kind of a joke compared to the rest of the tractor.

Anyway, Dennis here are the pics of what I did to my deck.  I had to take the flamewrench to my angle support to clear the bagger belt.  But I can bounce up and down on the right side and it does not give at all now (I really did try it).  I just rewelded the cracks at the lift point mounts and they look intact still.  The long crack going out to the discharge is kind of a crappy weld and did crack again.  I'll clean it up real good this winter and inspect / reweld / blades, etc.  I had leaves to deal with and 4 hours to do it in so it was bagger on and go.

Angle stitched to deck and welded to height adjuster

deck1_zpscwia1vtl.jpg

Height adjuster bracket gussets to deck pan.  Inner had to be short to clear belt guard

deck3_zpsmdwznprh.jpg

Crack on top of deck--cracked again, but must have been the first weld I did. that day.

deck2_zpspt59opwh.jpg

Full right side view of how I tied the front gauge wheel bracket to the rear height adjuster

deck4_zpsepsxqqmd.jpg

Left side view

deck51_zpsrkjel6rc.jpg

Hope some of this may help.  Seems to have fixed most of my headaches with it.  I used flux core and didn't take much time to clean splatter, function over form for me.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Flamewrench, I gotta remember that one, LOL. 

bmsgaffer

Not sure if you're doubting or trying to be funny.............................These 48" xi decks are kind of a joke compared to the rest of the tractor.

Nope, I was completely serious! You mentioned it and it went off like a light bulb in my head. I think you hit the nail on the head. I like your reinforcements, that deck looks quite solid now.

DennisThornton

Anyway, Dennis here are the pics of what I did to my deck.  I had to take the flamewrench to my angle support to clear the bagger belt.  But I can bounce up and down on the right side and it does not give at all now (I really did try it).  I just rewelded the cracks at the lift point mounts and they look intact still.  The long crack going out to the discharge is kind of a crappy weld and did crack again.  I'll clean it up real good this winter and inspect / reweld / blades, etc.  I had leaves to deal with and 4 hours to do it in so it was bagger on and go.

deck1_zpscwia1vtl.jpg

Height adjuster bracket gussets to deck pan.  Inner had to be short to clear belt guard

deck3_zpsmdwznprh.jpg

Crack on top of deck--cracked again, but must have been the first weld I did. that day.

deck2_zpspt59opwh.jpg

Full right side view of how I tied the front gauge wheel bracket to the rear height adjuster

deck4_zpsepsxqqmd.jpg

Left side view

deck51_zpsrkjel6rc.jpg

Hope some of this may help.  Seems to have fixed most of my headaches with it.  I used flux core and didn't take much time to clean splatter, function over form for me.

So your cracks were very much like the ones on my deck?  The one on the chute opening sure looks like it!

Don1977

deck1_zpscwia1vtl.jpg

deck3_zpsmdwznprh.jpg

deck2_zpspt59opwh.jpg

deck4_zpsepsxqqmd.jpg

Left side view

deck51_zpsrkjel6rc.jpg

So your cracks were very much like the ones on my deck?  The one on the chute opening sure looks like it!

That section of the deck is caring the weight of the deck with the height adjustment there. There isn't much support  with the chute right there.

DennisThornton

Certainly much beefier now!  I see how and why.

WNYPCRepair

Is this deck cracked in the same spot as yours?

566cd8abd7c05_xideck.thumb.jpg.4949450b8

Edited by WNYPCRepair

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Is this deck cracked in the same spot as yours?

566cd8abd7c05_xideck.thumb.jpg.4949450b8

my xi.png

Looks somewhat similar...  Does it extend into the grass chute discharge area?

WNYPCRepair

I don't know, I saw it online and thought it looked similar.

Tankman

Stitch weld the cracks, Then stitch weld plates over the repaired areas. 

Found years ago, a Horse without a working deck was a $$$$ saver.

Edited by Tankman