Ole

42" Deck cuts unevenly 414-8

Ole

What causes the mower deck to cut unevenly?  Specifically, it leaves taller grass near the outsides of the middle blade (has three blades).   I think the blade is the correct size and it doesn't look like the blade is bent.  I just bought this tractor and it runs good but the deck needs a tune-up.  I greased both the outside spindles but I don't see a zerk for the middle one on top of the mower deck?  I don't have a repair manual yet for this tractor so I don't know how to properly service this deck and get it cutting like it should. 

MalMac

Since it's a 42, good chance it's sprung. Turn the deck upside down and take the outside blade and put it tip to tip with the inside blade and check for a difference in height. Should be level with each other. Sometimes instead of being sprung the decks will get cracks in them under the spindle housings and allow the spindle to move. Also where your deck wheels mount will develop cracks letting the deck to cut uneven, but to me what your describing is a sprung deck.

Edited by MalMac

dcrage

There is a grease zerk on the middle spindle. You can not get to it with the deck on. I believe it is directly on top of the spindle assembly. 

You are not the first person to comment on 42" decks not cutting evenly. Course there are thousands of them out there. 

clip

...Also where your dick wheels mount will develop cracks...

I hear this happens with old age!

Here are my experiences trying to work out the 42" deck cut:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/56503-how-to-level-mower-deck-side-side/

• Like 2

MalMac
:laughing-rofl: now that's funny. I better go back and fix it.

Ole

Boy, that's not the news I was hoping to hear.  A sprung deck?  That would railroad my entire project.  I was hoping this would be a plug and play for a little while anyhow.  I'll have to drop the deck in a few weeks when the cutting season is over and take a look at it.  The only other idea I had was that the tractor still has wheel weights on it and I wondered if the wheels were just mashing down the grass giving the illusion that the deck cuts unevenly. 

Ole

I checked out the deck and it all seems to line up and I don't see any cracks.  The small, long plastic wheels on the rear of the deck are in bad shape and need to be replaced.  Two of them have chunks missing.  Maybe I'll start by replacing those and re-visit this issue in the spring.   

can whlvr

sorry but I don't think the anti scalp wheels will make her cut that way,i have several decks and yes they do get sprung,but look real close at the lifting harness also,sometimes the right side bar wears where the round bar goes through,also look at the rear wheels on the outside,i have one deck I had to weld a round bar across the opening while squeezing it together,some of the decks came with this,ive also shimmed the spindles a wee bit to help

Wishin4a416

My 42 inch side discharge decks that were not reinforced gave me fits. I have switched to rear discharges. Mine would always cut lower on the discharge side from being sprung but your problem isnt the same. Still sounds like it is sprung somewhere.

Don1977

Did you sharpen the blades?  The ends of the blade get dull first and three dull could leave two ragged strips at the center blade One other thing you should check is to make sure the center pulley is tight. It can slip on the center spindle and still turn the outer spindles full speed. It will also destroy the spindle and pulley. As already said the 42" deck have more problems with being sprung then any of the other decks. If all the blade line up check for cracks around the pulleys and across the back of the deck.

Ole

I'll be dropping the deck hopefully this weekend to mount the snow thrower.  You've all given me great advice so far on what to look for.  I'll check back in if I discover any issues.

IthacaJeff

If you have not already done so, do a thorough search of this site to look for the many suggestions. In my case a good part of the problem (not all) was that the deck was not level. Too much angled forward, leaving the center blade to poorly overlap the outside blades. This is on a 48" SD deck, but it should be checked on all decks.

Xearl

Just a thought. I had one blade on upside down and it made the cut lop sided.