WNYPCRepair

Finally got a trailer, hope it holds up 2nd try

shallowwatersailor

Check out the forums on "Red" trailers. There is a lot of information available.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I did spring for the heavier duty one, 1720 lbs. 

Didn't find a lot searching red trailer or harbor freight trailer though

Aldon

Not much that can fail in it. Clean and pack wheel bearings and should be pretty much good to go.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Not much that can fail in it. Clean and pack wheel bearings and should be pretty much good to go.

Doing that tomorrow, if I have time. I was wondering how to get the seal out of the inner side of the hub without destroying it. They are packed in some kind of weird grease, looks almost like cosmoline, but wipes off like grease. 

DennisThornton

Well, now just load it up with new to you Wheel Horses!

My first welds weren't pretty either!  The absolute worst welds I've ever seen were by a friend who had been welding for decades!  There is NO way yours could look that bad!  He claims none ever broke and I suppose if you use 10 lbs where 2 or 3 sticks should have been enough...  Well, like I said, he's a friend...

A few pointers, don't try to weld anything at first.  Just strike and stop arcs.  Then strike an arc and try to lay a pretty bead on a single piece of 1/8" or so plate.  Take your time, no pressure since there is no weld required!  Look into the molten pool and play with it.  Build it up, then sort of pull it with you.  Don't worry about welding anything!  Just play with the puddle/pool of molten metal.  Then try to make a good looking bead.  Learn what too much heat does and then too little.  Too little will just build molten metal on top of your plate.  Too much will undercut and perhaps burn through.  Don't freak out about burning through!  Means you had a weld and lost it!  Do freak out about not having enough heat!  You never had a weld in the first place!  Practice and expect to burn through several pound of rod!  Somewhere along the way you need to learn about rods, size, amps and base material thickness.  Lot's a variables but you will catch on.  If you can fix PCs you can weld!  You didn't learn about about PCs in a couple of evenings!  Difference is that welding is lots of variables and experience.  Lot's of stuff with computers is Go/Not GO!  Right or wrong!  Welding has lots of gray areas...

• Like 1

Digger 66

A buddy of mine had the same trailer .
Hauled his Firecat around WNY for what seemed like forever .
He beat the snot out of that poor thing with everything from wood , concrete , you name it .
It finally crumbled into a pile .
It didn't owe him a dime .

I would fab up some gussets for the corners & the two green arrows ( where the pins go through ) need to be thicker as well as the hinge point for the tilting.

trailer2.thumb.png.61a655640e40db56c313b

953 nut

Once the trailer is assembled give it another coat of paint, the Chinese paint jobs don't hold up too good. Also, use pressure treated plywood, I have one that has been out in the elements for nearly 20 years and is still good. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Sorry if I mislead you. I haven't found an actual "Red" trailer forum. But if you look at Jeep, 4x4, teardrop trailer, etc. forums they pop up as topics. For example, the Jeep owners change the axle and wheels to build a nice short trailer for off-road cutting down the 1720 lb trailer like yours. There has been a number of postings on greasing the hubs as well.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

That trailer MIGHT be powder coated!  I'm not a PC convert!  Maybe because of HF!  Seems once theirs (I assume most low cost Chinese efforts!) fails it really accelerates!  I fear that hitting it with more paint might not help.  Don't know, and certainly don't want to tread on 953 nut's comments, just saying you might want to consider something like TC-11.  Not widely known and I don't know why.  Google a bit and you can decide or we can chat!

WNYPCRepair

My first welds weren't pretty either!  The absolute worst welds I've ever seen were by a friend who had been welding for decades!  There is NO way yours could look that bad!  He claims none ever broke and I suppose if you use 10 lbs where 2 or 3 sticks should have been enough...  Well, like I said, he's a friend...

A few pointers, don't try to weld anything at first.  Just strike and stop arcs.  Then strike an arc and try to lay a pretty bead on a single piece of 1/8" or so plate.  Take your time, no pressure since there is no weld required!  Look into the molten pool and play with it.  Build it up, then sort of pull it with you.  Don't worry about welding anything!  Just play with the puddle/pool of molten metal.  Then try to make a good looking bead.  Learn what too much heat does and then too little.  Too little will just build molten metal on top of your plate.  Too much will undercut and perhaps burn through.  Don't freak out about burning through!  Means you had a weld and lost it!  Do freak out about not having enough heat!  You never had a weld in the first place!  Practice and expect to burn through several pound of rod!  Somewhere along the way you need to learn about rods, size, amps and base material thickness.  Lot's a variables but you will catch on.  If you can fix PCs you can weld!  You didn't learn about about PCs in a couple of evenings!  Difference is that welding is lots of variables and experience.  Lot's of stuff with computers is Go/Not GO!  Right or wrong!  Welding has lots of gray areas...

I got one of those $100 flux core mig welders. I figure if I find out I can't weld, then I'm not out much. I think my problem was the diameter of wire that came with the welder was too small for the thickness of what I was trying to weld. Bought a thicker roll today, and will practice on some scrap when I find some time. 

A buddy of mine had the same trailer .
Hauled his Firecat around WNY for what seemed like forever .
He beat the snot out of that poor thing with everything from wood , concrete , you name it .
It finally crumbled into a pile .
It didn't owe him a dime .

I would fab up some gussets for the corners & the two green arrows ( where the pins go through ) need to be thicker as well as the hinge point for the tilting.

trailer2.thumb.png.61a655640e40db56c313b

I don't plan to use the tilt, I am probably going to put a bolt through there instead of the pins. 

Once the trailer is assembled give it another coat of paint, the Chinese paint jobs don't hold up too good. Also, use pressure treated plywood, I have one that has been out in the elements for nearly 20 years and is still good. 

I bought PT plywood. It was so heavy, I had to get help loading at Home Depot for the first time in my life, and I have loaded some HEAVY stuff by myself. It was soaking wet.

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Shynon

I got one of those $100 flux core mig welders. I figure if I find out I can't weld, then I'm not out much. I think my problem was the diameter of wire that came with the welder was too small for the thickness of what I was trying to weld. Bought a thicker roll today, and will practice on some scrap when I find some time. 

And I thought you bought an arc welder.  Good luck with your flux core welder they are great to have around the shop.

WNYPCRepair

And I thought you bought an arc welder.  Good luck with your flux core welder they are great to have around the shop.

No, I thought I might do better with the mig. My last attempt at arc welding (as a teenager) I burned through and ruined the wagon my shop teacher was building

• Like 2

Shynon

Mig is the way to go, arc is good for thicker material. If the metal is to thin or burns through you can stitch weld .

• Like 1

Aldon

I /4 to 1:8 mig makes most  sense to me. Be realistic in value return on investment. 250 should pay itself off in one tow project. 

You our could dip and ceracoat it but pay off may be  much longer In duration.

WNYPCRepair

trailer_almost_done.thumb.png.36ffecb17d

Almost finished. Got to add some temporary side and front racks, until I can weld well enough to make permanent racks.

I am sore now, I could never be a mechanic, bending over for hours kills my back

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

That looks great. Nice job.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Thanks, I made it 5 x 8. Actually a little over 8. It looked too narrow at 4'

WNYPCRepair
trailer_done.thumb.JPG.604a85cd9198fd40f

Finally done. Just in time, since I need it tomorrow. :)
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

very nice work , did you put D rings in floor for securing loads ?

WNYPCRepair

very nice work , did you put D rings in floor for securing loads ?

yes, 4 very heavy duty ones from HF. They are holding down the toy 4 wheeler.  :) 

Turned out pretty good considering I designed the floor and racks on the fly. I'm not much of a mechanic but I am a very good carpenter. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

papaglide

Good job Brian. Man, it looks really nice!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Thanks Mike

WNYPCRepair

Well it made it's maiden voyage without the axles melting off so I must have done a good job packing the bearings. Buffalo to Syracuse. 

image.thumb.jpg.c8b75a168634adcb6f6de79c

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 5

JPWH

That turned out to be a good looking trailer. Have you tried the tilt bed?