cleat

wheels or skids better ?

cleat

Just a quick question. My old single stage blower that I will try out this winter has the steel wheels. 
My 2 stage Wheel Horse blower has the skids.
My much larger 2 stage on my diesel tractor has skids

How do the steel wheels work on a gravel drive ???
Should I convert it to skids like the rest ?
Wheel_horses_lined_up_3.thumb.jpg.49defb
44_inch_snowblower_installation_025.thum
Snowblower_just_delivered_3.thumb.JPG.a6

Thanks, Cleat

• Like 6

Wheel-N-It
Dang Cleat, thats a nice fleet of tractors you have there friend !  I don't know Jack about snow blowers but I just had to jump in here to tell you how much I like your shop and equipment. Everything is so neat ond well organized :)
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

My 74" PTO blower has skids around a foot long and I've never been tempted to add wheels, though maybe even longer skids!  However, I'm guessing those wheels would be just fine on blacktop or concrete drives.  I'd certainly try them on a nice smooth driveway but I wouldn't want them at all in gravel!  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I always felt the wheels were much too narrow to support the blower in the gravel.  I actually  made larger skids that had about 4X the area of the OEM skids.
They worked better, but with the unevenness of my road, I was still throwing too many stones onto the lawn.  If the snow is too deep to plow,  I now use the hydro lift to float the blower about 3" off the road and use the plow to clean up what is remaining.

I get more seat time in the winter and less raking time in the spring. 

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 2

jackhammer

Cleat,
I have to comment on pictures above and like Wheel-N- it I am in total agreement about your herd .   Nice-very nice

Mike - - your white hood   LQQKs !!!   great also.

Rick

• Like 2

Racinbob

I think the original wheels are way too small. I was always thinking about larger wheels but never did it. I was thinking something like the mower deck wheels but Mikes are better yet.

DennisThornton

Ditto on the larger wheels!  I think I would like those!  I bought a 46" 2 stage for my Husqvarna and the gent added 10 wheels, but just for moving it around.  What a pleasure that was!  They weren't adjustable like the skids or I might have left them on.  Might make them adjustable and put them back on!

WNYPCRepair

I put these pneumatic wheels on my blower. They work great. As an added bonus, they make the blower easier to move around! :handgestures-thumbupright:052.thumb.JPG.31c4c92aa297be96fc4aebcb0b

I was thinking why not put some wheels on it

JAinVA
Cleat,
     Nice assortment of tractors.Squonk,I saw the picture of your upgrade some months back on here and thought that's just what I needed to do to my blowers.
I have a gravel drive over 600ft long and areas around the house that need to get cleared when the snow flies.Yes we get snow in Va,sometimes up to a foot.
If the ground isn't frozen the big tires should.Just wanted to give thanks for the inspiration.
  • Like 1

squonk

Wish I still had Marvin around

WHX??

Skids shoud be ok Cleat if your driveway is fairly flat.  Just make sure they are adjusted high enough so your not spitting gravel. They will wear out eventually but that's what they are for rather than wear the bottom of the blower. I do like the idea of moving them around easier with wheels tho. The big blower is probaly too heavy to be movin around anyway.
If your big tractor blower mounts on the 3 pt like it looks like it does and your driveway has hills you ain't gonna like it.  Backing down/up hiills trying to blowing snow sucks.

cleat

I have been using the big blower for the last few years and it works OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLD3i50lwg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZHCjooEww

The skids on it are quite long but it is heavy (over 500 pounds). so as long as the ground is frozen it works good.

My old Ford LGT165 with 2 stage blower was very good at gliding over the ground with it's two large springs that took all the weight off, However that did make it ride up and over packed snow.

I have not used a Wheel horse blower yet so I will know better by next spring.

The big blower will likely still get used most due to the heated cab. Drawback to that unit is facing backwards.

I will try the factory wheels on the single stage but may look into larger wheels like Squonks.

I assume if larger wheels are added then the axle will need to to be moved up.

Edited by cleat
added videos
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Running them big skids over here Cleat.   :greetings-wavingyellow:
IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.01a46584203ddd0a862e4
Video shows blowing on the side of the driveway, in the grass...once adjusted correctly, they rarely if ever dig in. 

can whlvr

definatly skids,the wheels don't work at all on gravel,heres a pic of the ones I welded up,they work great
IMG_0476.jpg

• Like 3