C-101plowerpower

AG's your experience with them

C-101plowerpower

Yes ag's or bar lug tires/tires, what are your experience's with them. I'm asking this because the dry rotten Carlisle turfsavers on my horse just dont have the traction i need for plowing/ploughing. The ones i'm looking at are the duro hf255, the deestone d405 and the bkt tr315. My father said go for the duro's since they have more lugs thus making it a less bumpy ride, but the deestone's are cheaper. The bkt's are the most expensive of the 3, but also the best looking i think. 
This is where you guys come in, what brand do you have, what are the pro's and con's of that particular brand, what do you use the horse(or other make) for, what ply rating do they have and do you need/have aditional weight in them?

Thanks for reading
Koen

AMC RULES
Ags aren't the best choice for traction in the snow Koen. 
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower

I know, that's why i'm using them turning pieces of earth upside down. Sorry for the confusion

IMG_20150728_172729464.thumb.jpg.0ecb70a

Edited by C-101plowerpower
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

I ran ags with heavy truck snow chains for years on a PK and I ran them all year, winter snow and summer mowing!  I'm not suggesting that is the best plan but the occasional soft ground chain depression in the turf issues just never bothered me enough to pull them off!

Since then I've taken a liking to R4 industrials on my TC-35.  Far less damaging than ags in turf, smoother running on hard surfaces and still a pretty good grip in mud.  Got to run chains on them in the winter to get a decent grip but I think they hold the chains out better and more evenly than ags.  

For snow I think it's hard to beat chains on turfs.  Much more chain contact!

If I was mainly plowing gardens I think I'd be running ags and tri-ribs.
Mowing and pushing snow, turfs and chains.
Best compromise, R4s, but with chains in the winter!

• Like 1

slammer302

You may also consider a ATV tire with sum lugs might be a better year round alternative to a more aggressive tire  

• Like 2

tbarnhart

I've got the Deestone ags on my 160 and I think they look good. You will want to go for the 10.50s. The Deestones run quite a bit small for their marked size. The 8.50s are pretty small, but the 10.50s are a great replacement for the Carlisle 8.50s and fit well on a 7 in. rim. With 90 lb. weights in each wheel, it will pull pretty good.

• Like 1

clip

Also look at the Carlisle Tru-Powers. I went with them due to what I'd read about sizing being nominal with Deestone, etc. and people winding up with smaller tires than expected. Also, all Carlisle tires I've had last forever. Here are two pictures, one new before the spring mowing season and one from a few days ago when I test-fit the new 2-link chains for traction this winter. They've made a world of difference already when leveling the packed gravel driveway with the dozer blade and given me some extra traction mowing. They don't tear up the yard unless I start to spin tires, which is a lot harder to do with the extra traction. The V61s up front really help with the steering as well. 

994BFCF4-8B69-49EF-BD55-2E88842A99A1.jpg

4E2FF3A1-4221-4988-B819-F47CD783D006.jpg

• Like 6

DennisThornton

clip, I like how your chains line up!  Those look like they should work really well!

doc724

I use ags, on my C141 for tilling (without weights-the tiller is heavy enough).  They work great.  I leave the ags on all year long, but this machine gets only used for tilling, weed spraying, lawn sweeping and grandkid entertainment.  I have Deestones (because they were less costly) and given the limited time for ground engagement, they are more than adequate.  I would have preferred Carlisle (made in the USA) as they likely would have lasted longer, but as it stands, these Deestones will likely outlast me.

C-101plowerpower

I've got the Deestone ags on my 160 and I think they look good. You will want to go for the 10.50s. The Deestones run quite a bit small for their marked size. The 8.50s are pretty small, but the 10.50s are a great replacement for the Carlisle 8.50s and fit well on a 7 in. rim. With 90 lb. weights in each wheel, it will pull pretty good.

the fact they are a tad undersize is quite confinient for me, the tire's i currently have on the horse are 22x7.50-12 and are just a tad wide in the furrow. having lugs instead of basicly slicks helps too as it wont ride on the plowed bit as much

• Like 1

pacer

This is my "down & dirty" D-160 work horse. Used almost exclusively for pulling yard trailer and dragging logs etc. I have some hilly areas and before ags with turfs I was constantly spinning/slipping/getting stuck. I was simply blown away at the difference in traction after ags! They are 15"s so cant comment as to brands on 14s.

002.JPG

• Like 6

Terry M

I'm slowly adding ag's to all of my Wheel Horses.... excellent traction on grass and snow. msg-5864-0-53186200-1406831874_thumb.jpgmsg-5864-0-39533900-1406831843_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 5

C-101plowerpower

that looks like a fine specimen Pacer

Thor27

For comparison,  Left to right, Firestone, Carlisle, and Deestone all in 23-10.50x12

tires.jpg

In fairness, the firestones are on a 10.5 wheel, the carlisles are on an 8.5, and the deestones are on a 7.5, which is plenty wide for them.

• Like 8

clip

I had heard of fitment issues with the 10.50 Carlisle Tru-Powers and the GT-1600/300-400/C series with a 42" mowing deck. I'm also running a stock width wheel (7" I think) and heard the 10.50s might bulge and the tread wouldn't be as square.  I went with the 23x8.50s so mowing deck fitment, tread profile, and traction wouldn't be an issue. Floatation isn't needed where I'm at so I'm perfectly happy with the slightly increased ground pressure caused by a smaller contact patch.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

As a clarification i wont be using mine for anything else than plowing

slammer302

Terry M I put the same tires on my lawn ranger and it turned it into a great little worker

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Ags for plowing.  Maybe ags plus chains for plowing deeper! B)

tim.bergfeld
I had heard of fitment issues with the 10.50 Carlisle Tru-Powers and the GT-1600/300-400/C series with a 42" mowing deck. I'm also running a stock width wheel (7" I think) and heard the 10.50s might bulge and the tread wouldn't be as square.  I went with the 23x8.50s so mowing deck fitment, tread profile, and traction wouldn't be an issue. Floatation isn't needed where I'm at so I'm perfectly happy with the slightly increased ground pressure caused by a smaller contact patch.

I have a 416 h and am looking for a year round ag tire as well I have a 42 SD deck. what do I need to think about for fit ? I push snow with this on sidewalks as well as spread gravel with the blade and till with it and plow now thanks to wheelhorseman1000 lol.

shallowwatersailor

I had 23x8.50-12 loaded ags on my 523Dxi for snowthrowing last winter. A smaller tire should put more pressure on the surface. I bought the tractor with a package that included two pairs of ags besides the 23x10.50-12 turfs. Everybody always says that ags don't work - and they don't unless it is flat. The ags were already on it so I thought with them being loaded and two suitcase weights I would be good. It worked about 90% of the time. If there was any ice underneath, or an incline at the end of the driveway I lost traction. The problem with ags is that you need duo chains that match the tread as ladder turf-style chains ride over the lugs.

It will be turfs with chains this year. I may give a pair of Kenda K502 tires a try though - with chains

clip

I've saved the 23x9.50 turfs, but really don't want to go back to them for winter use. I was considering linking all the 2-link cross members together down the center to get a more stable chain pattern. I'll wait to see how these perform before modifying or looking into more aggressive chains.

Edited by clip

bluebug

I had 23x8.50-12 loaded ags on my 523Dxi for snowthrowing last winter. A smaller tire should put more pressure on the surface. I bought the tractor with a package that included two pairs of ags besides the 23x10.50-12 turfs. Everybody always says that ags don't work - and they don't unless it is flat. The ags were already on it so I thought with them being loaded and two suitcase weights I would be good. It worked about 90% of the time. If there was any ice underneath, or an incline at the end of the driveway I lost traction. The problem with ags is that you need duo chains that match the tread as ladder turf-style chains ride over the lugs.

It will be turfs with chains this year. I may give a pair of Kenda K502 tires a try though - with chains

I am looking to replace the turfs on my 523Dxi, but am not sure what to go to. I will be doing mostly grass cutting with it and tilling with it occasionally. I do have a 4 foot by 11 foot four wheel trailer that I pull to move yard waste and supplies around the yard. I live in Georgia, so snow removal is not required. Would a more aggressive turf tire, an All Terrain Golf Cart tire or an ATV tire work better?
Clark

Edited by bluebug

Sparky

Here is what I run all year. They are great in the snow with wheel weights and no chains.
Mike...........

Tires2.thumb.jpg.d2ddd1a695c150acd617804
Tires3.thumb.jpg.6fd5382a346da83061dbf29

• Like 5

DennisThornton

Mike!  I really like those!  A friend with a BCS 2 wheeler did that and loves it!

What size are they?

scotty

I run 23x8.50-12 Bkt tires on my b-80 and i have 23x10.50-12 deestones on my c 125. I prefer the bkt over the deestones. I seem to have great luck with the bkts. I used the deestones for a one bottom plow filled with rv antifreeze and they worked pretty good. Filling the tires helps a ton.

• Like 1