WNYPCRepair

Found a decent blower today.

WNYPCRepair

Just happened to check Craigslist last night and saw a listing for a snow blower that had just listed 30 minutes before. Called first thing this morning and stopped by and picked it up. 

Seems ms to be in great shape. Can't wait to get time to mount and test it. Any advice before I do?

image.thumb.jpg.09a7c3cda0a7e45b31c28535image.thumb.jpg.e1defed565e81aff353a5221image.thumb.jpg.4c8f5791396defae98c5a9c2

• Like 5

squonk

Check those bearings and idler sprokets.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Like mike says, check and adjust chain tensiin, oil chain. Check skid shoe height and adjust / tighten. Check pulleys and belt. If belt shows wear now is the time to grab a back up. I just got one for ,,,umm,,14 bucks od something,,old age forgetting. Lol it was a gates green belt.   There will be a manual for it on this site. Follow recomendations. Just have some spare parts in your kick if needed. Also check chute is clean of rust, if not sand, quick spray paint job. Check auger rotation when hooked up for smooth and balanced rotation. I hand my first snowblower like that one, worked like a dream.

glenn 

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Nice find.  Your are going to like this.  As the others have said, check the bearings, chain, idler, and belt.  Now is the time to address any issues.  Bearings and the idler are readily available for small money.  Let me know if you need help.

Kurt

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

I'll look for a model number and grab the manual tomorrow. Maybe I can find some time to look it over this weekend. I just picked it up today, dropped it off and then took my wife to therapy. 

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm sure I'll be back with questions

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Looks good Brian.  Everything the guys above suggest....I also like to remove any dings in the auger. I use an old ax head as a backer anvil and tap with the flat side of a hammer.  Two pipe wrenches make a really good bending tool to straighten any badly bent edges.
Then grind the edges to remove any burrs.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

1983 model 06-42ST03 1st to use skids
1984-1987 model 06-42ST04
1987-1989 model 06-42ST05
1990 model 06-42ST06 last model to use the short chute

Garry

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

If the blower is not going on a hydraulic lift tractor,  you may want to pick up a lift assist spring.  Also make sure you put the flag pin in the correct hole.  You will find this in the manual.

Edited by ekennell
Removed "hole"
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

1983 model 06-42ST03 1st to use skids
1984-1987 model 06-42ST04
1987-1989 model 06-42ST05
1990 model 06-42ST06 last model to use the short chute

Garry

Mine is 06-42ST04

WNYPCRepair

Everything looks good except chain tension. I should have checked the manual first I guess, but how do you tighten the chain? And how much adjustment is there? Mine looks like it could use a link removed. You can squeeze it completely together, and you can see where it has eaten through the shell of the blower on the bottom side it was so loose. 

How tight should it be?

squonk

The bottom idler sprocket is your tension adjustment. It's mounting hole is slotted. Your best bet though is to remove the chain and check those idler bearings without the chain on. You can get a new # 40 roller chain from TSC. I run my chain with a 1/2" deflection

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

If you search here I asked similar a while back. Broke a chain. There is a link count. Have to try and find it. But #40 roller chain it is. About a half inch tension.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

The bottom idler sprocket is your tension adjustment. It's mounting hole is slotted. Your best bet though is to remove the chain and check those idler bearings without the chain on. You can get a new # 40 roller chain from TSC. I run my chain with a 1/2" deflection

OK, I am no mechanic, so bear with me. What am I checking the bearings for? They don't squeal, the blower was surprisingly quiet. There didn't seem to be any play in the shafts, they seemed nice and tight. The chain is so loose I don't think it is hiding any slop in the bearings, there is easily 1 1/2 inches of deflection. 

Ed Kennell

Sounds like you have checked the bearings as any mechanic would unless they have a dynamic acoustical bearing analyzer at their disposal.

If the chain is stretched so much that you can no longer tighten it using the slot in the lower idler, then it is probably best to get a new chain and connector link.
Find the connector  link in the old chain and disconnect it to remove the chain.  Count the links , the new chain should be the correct length with the same no. of links.
There is a possibility the PO installed a chain that is a link too long and was never able to tighten it correctly.  If this is the case, you would need to remove a link.
In either case, I would buy and install a new chain and keep the old one for an emergency spare.

• Like 1

squonk

With the chain off, you can spin those sprockets by hand and check for any roughness or side play.

When I got my tall shoot blower everything seemed fine except for the chain slack. I felt nothing and heard nothing when turning the shaft. The adjustment was all the way so I had to replace the chain. After getting it off I found both sprockets had a ton of wobble in them and both drive shaft bearings had a rough spot.Also the sprocket teeth were worn. So I replaced all of it. Also with the chain off you can really check the auger bearings for any problems or hint of noise.

As a side note. I got my sprockets from TSC. They were 1 tooth larger than original. I had cut my new chain exactly like the old one. I had to add a link to make it work.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Do yourself a favor and replace the chain and idler sprockets now. That thing is probably 20-30 years old. Looks to be in good shape. A few bucks now should spare you a lot of aggravation in February. I've never heard of equipment failing at a convenient time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2