cdsl810

Mystery Deck

cdsl810

I was given a deck shell that is in superb condition. The gauge steel on this deck is heavier than any other Wheel Horse deck I have seen. The only info I have is Model #: 05-42XR02, Year: 1982---42" Rear Discharge.

I would like to match this up to the tractor it belonged to. It has an additional front mount and clutch assembly that I have not seen with the B, C, 300/400/500 decks. I know it is not for a D series, because they did not have a 42" available for the D. It is also a very deep pan, 5.25" from the bottom edge to the inside of the top--also bigger than I am used to. The outside is close to 5.5" tall.

Any help from the 1980s gurus is greatly appreciated.

Racinbob

The B series at that time was a lawn tractor with vertical shaft motors. It's not going to work on the horizontal shaft garden tractors.

cdsl810

Bummer. Before I sold the C-125, I put a mounting bracket on this shell and it went right on without the funny front thing. It looked identical to the 42" rear discharge that came with the C, except for the front mount. The drive belt looked like it would even have a clear path to the tensioner/idler pulley from the mule drive. Everything seemed to line up. Looks like I will be packaging it with my next load to the parts broker guy.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Post a pic of the deck. It may be one of the decks that can be easily converted to work with a horizontal shaft engine. 

• Like 2

cdsl810

The PO just emailed me. He said it came off of a 1982 B-165. Mystery solved. It looks identical in every way to a "regular" deck for properly oriented Horses--except for the extra high front wheel/front bracket mount. If I cut that off and make it look normal, then I'm pretty sure it would work. The pan is deep though, so finding spindles might be extra challenging. I was kinda hoping to outfit this thing and use it exclusively for a leaf cleanup deck. We will see...

• Like 1

953 nut
Any deck can be adapted to the mule drive with a little imaginative engineering. If you plan to use it for leaf clean-up you may want to cut out part of the front of the deck so it will chew up those rascals rather than just pushing them around.   :twocents-02cents:
  • Like 1

daveoman1966

the deck shell is the same depth for the 42 rear disch decks...they don't vary from one model to another.  Wheelhorse stamped out these deck shells by the THOUSANDS...then added some weld-on hardware for different applications of the same deck shell.  You''' find that the spindles are the same too, although the style may change a bit. 
Given that, it is VERY EASY to convert the 05-42XR deck to a typical 05-42MR.  Here are a few pics of just what to do.   You MAY not have to trim the front bracket...I did on the several that I've converted for use on a tractor with the conventional horizontal shaft engine.
The 2nd set of pics shows the AFTER conversion....(pics from Ebay)

05-42XR01 (1)a.jpg

05-42XR01 (2)a.jpg

42 rd 1.jpg

42 rd 3.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 4

DennisThornton

daveoman1966, great post!  Very, very helpful!
Thanks!

And cdsl810, looks worthwhile, especially for a deck that's in first rate shape!

cdsl810

Looks 3 beer--PG language project.

I found a donor deck that will provide everything I need to convert this. It even has a good belt on it. I will throw some pics on here when it's all done.

• Like 1

varosd

Dave has provided (as usual) great photos with labels!
I did the switch on a 42 rear the other year and just picked up a clean 42SD for $30 last month.
I brought up the parts viewer for both the vertical and horizontal shaft decks and figured out what parts I could reuse and what ones I had to get. i.e. the main double drive pulley is different, the belt is different etc.

I think that as the normal decks rot out despite our best efforts, we will all start scrambling for whatever is available

• Like 1

Racinbob

That certainly is some good info :handgestures-thumbupright:

Molon_Labe

Here's a converted 05-42XR02 on my C-101, great deck. Had to fab a leveling rod for it but no big deal there. The left spindle is from a 95-42MS01 SD deck.SAM_1207.thumb.JPG.a50083bd80b253643bc8fSAM_1241.thumb.JPG.9a9078a6236a41a47210a

• Like 2

bds1984

I did a very similar conversion last month with a deck from a 270 series to fit my C165. I couldn't pass up a new 48-inch deck for under $200!
Convert it over to a 'proper' oriented deck, as you said.

cdsl810

I meant no offense to the vertical As and Bs... and even the newer Toro configurations---it's just more natural to think of a Wheel Horse in horizontal engine terms.

• Like 1

bds1984

I'm not offended. I share your viewpoints. I much prefer horizontal powered machines.

cdsl810

Why think "outside the Pond" when everything works perfectly the way he intended. :twocents-02cents:

DennisThornton

I did a very similar conversion last month with a deck from a 270 series to fit my C165. I couldn't pass up a new 48-inch deck for under $200!

Roughly please, how long did it take you?  I'd like a bargain on a 48 for my 416 and I really need something at least for my 520Lxi but while I'm frugal with $$$ I also have less than enough time...

bmsgaffer

Your 520lxi will need an XI deck. Some have looked at converting but it takes too much to convert. Hard to find and pricey unfortunately.

bds1984

Roughly please, how long did it take you?  I'd like a bargain on a 48 for my 416 and I really need something at least for my 520Lxi but while I'm frugal with $$$ I also have less than enough time...

Dennis it didn't take me very long to convert the deck over. Transfering the spindle shafts was easy as was the Tach-a-mattic hardware. I had to use an angle grinder to remove a bracket associated with the original vertical engine attachment. All mounting holes were there so it went smoothly. I still haven't used it to cut grass!

• Like 1

TDF5G

Very informative thread here fellas.  I've been looking at pics of 36" decks today, and considering changing the hardware from a rusted out deck shell, B/C series, on to a good vertical shaft deck shell, (not in my possession,  but I know where one is available).

After studying and comparing the pics of the decks, it looks like a simple matter of just swapping all the parts/hardware over from one deck to the other, as the decks have the square holes for both styles.  The only exception may be the front roller welded on mounting bracket.  And that's no big problem, if you can cut and weld. 

Is that all there is to it?
Thanks

TDF5G

Ok I'm ready to do a swap over.  I found this deck (along with a B115 tractor) on Craigslist, picked 'er up on Saturday.   The C series deck pic, I found on google images, but it's identical to my rusted out one!

004.JPG

36 REAR DISCHARGE DECK.jpg

Edited by TDF5G