muz123

Got a 60 inch deck!

muz123

I picked up this 60inch deck from Tom [Stratostar250] and a 520 parts frame. Also i am just wondering but how do you get this beast off and on the tractor easily? I had a heckava time getting it on. Any ideas? Only because I'm plowing with this tractor this year. 
I used my Kioti tractor bucket loader to get the deck on. LOL Its in the background on one of the pictures if you can see it.
Thanks, Dave

IMG_1071.thumb.JPG.298476b4b6ace9613d66eIMG_1070.thumb.JPG.b60b2304fc00645d05721

Edited by muz123
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Someone else in a similar thread said to drive over and on it. I've done that with some other decks but the same setup as yours.  You could build a set of small ramps to get you started up.

You don't won't to use the Kioti to plow?

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

yep, mine won't fit, driving over it is the only way to get it on. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Never owned a 60" deck but I have heard that you drive over it like the others said.
Mike.......

• Like 1

stevebo

That is a nice deck (ask me how I know)... In terms of the deck it can be slid under like a 42 or 48. Driving over it cannot be done on hard surfaces. 

• Like 2

muz123

That is a nice deck (ask me how I know)... In terms of the deck it can be slid under like a 42 or 48. Driving over it cannot be done on hard surfaces. 

Tom said he got it from you. And yes its a REALLY nice deck. B) Also so how can you drive over it?

Someone else in a similar thread said to drive over and on it. I've done that with some other decks but the same setup as yours.  You could build a set of small ramps to get you started up.

I can't plow with my kioti because it will dig up my driveway.

Edited by muz123

MalMac

I always just drove over mine to get it on, course you must use wood blocks to help get up and over. Just make sure your lift bar is up and out of the way. 

• Like 2

muz123

I always just drove over mine to get it on, course you must use wood blocks to help get up and over. Just make sure your lift bar is up and out of the way. 

The lift bar is annoying when your trying to put decks on.

WNYPCRepair

Mine will not fit between the wheels, even with them turned all the way like the manual says. Driving over it is the only way to get it on without jacking up the front wheel. I use a board as a ramp, or a 4x4 as a kind of step. It isn't easy on a hard surface, as the deck wants to roll. The boards used as a ramp seem easiest on hard surfaces. 

Not to mention dragging it isn't easy, it's a heavy beast

Edited by WNYPCRepair

cheesegrader

1)Drop the guage wheels in the back of the deck all the way down.
2)Turn the front wheels on the tractor all the way to the left
3)Slide the deck under.  Not too bad on a concrete floor.  Easier if it is on a cardboard or plexiglass slider sheet.
4)Engage the lift arm into the slot on the deck carriage.
5)Use the hydro on the tractor to lift the deck all the way up BEFORE trying to hook the carriage to the attach-o-matic
6)Use a piece of 2x4 as a lever to pry the deck and carriage into place to make the final hook-up of the attach-o-matic

I can do this in about three minutes if I have a couple pieces of scrap wood to block up the deck as it goes into the final position

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

1)Drop the guage wheels in the back of the deck all the way down.    DONE
2)Turn the front wheels on the tractor all the way to the left                 DONE
3)Slide the deck under.  Not too bad on a concrete floor.  Easier if it is on a cardboard or plexiglass slider sheet.   CARDBOARD MIGHT HELP IT SLIDE, BUT IT HITS ON THE FRONT WHEEL BY ABOUT AN INCH, AND NO AMOUNT OF SHIMMYING HELPS, IT DOESN'T FIT, PERIOD. 
4)Engage the lift arm into the slot on the deck carriage.    IT ALSO HITS THE LIFT ARM, AS IF IT WERE TOO HIGH
5)Use the hydro on the tractor to lift the deck all the way up BEFORE trying to hook the carriage to the attach-o-matic    THIS WORKS WELL
6)Use a piece of 2x4 as a lever to pry the deck and carriage into place to make the final hook-up of the attach-o-matic  NEVER NEEDED TO DO THIS.

I can do this in about three minutes if I have a couple pieces of scrap wood to block up the deck as it goes into the final position

I can do it fairly quickly if I drive over it. It doesn't damage it at all, so why kill myself dragging it under, even if it did fit between the wheels?

WNYPCRepair

IMG_7347aaaa.thumb.jpg.0447d4d38a5a00673IMG_7348aaaa.thumb.jpg.210bd44996bf08d2b

Here are pictures of mine. I thought I had a picture of the tires hitting, but I guess not. This is the lift bar and attachomatic hitting, with the deck on the ground with wheels lowered. The lift only has to lift it slightly to get it to lock in. I have since lowered the front rollers, and it isn't as bad, but it isn't easy. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Tom said he got it from you. And yes its a REALLY nice deck. B) Also so how can you drive over it?

I can't plow with my kioti because it will dig up my driveway.

Snow plow?  First year I tried to use my FEL on my TC35 I put most of the driveway in the yard!  I did a bit better but I also got other equipment to do the job!

Edited by DennisThornton
spelling...

shallowwatersailor

Take a look at a 60" deck for a 5xi. It is a bit different. The gage wheel shafts rotate and there is an auxilary wheel on the back that drops down to roll it into place.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Take a look at a 60" deck for a 5xi. It is a bit different. The gage wheel shafts rotate and there is an auxilary wheel on the back that drops down to roll it into place.

Yeah, I saw that, and it makes sense. I was thinking of trying to modify mine. If the gage wheels rotated, it would fit between the tires, and the extra wheel in back should make it easy to slide sideways

cheesegrader

Brian,

The front wheels on the 60" deck are not original.  I have one with them and one without.  There is a dealer service bulletin instructing dealers to weld them on from about 1989.  I've seen lots of different versions of front wheels, and yours are the TALLEST ones I have ever seen.  Mine are more like the fixed height oval rollers on the 48" decks.  I'm sure your clearance problems are related to those very tall front wheels.  Maybe it would slide under if those wheels were dropped all the way down to the ground?
I know that some guys drive over, but I have had trouble with the deck spitting forward when I try to drive on, and I worry about doing something stupid in the process like damaging a front tire or snapping off a zerk fitting.  It seemed like a great idea when I first heard it, but it just didn't save me any time or effort when I tried it.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Next time I put it on, I'll try it, and take pics if it is still hitting

• Like 1

lynnmor

Brian,

The front wheels on the 60" deck are not original.  I have one with them and one without.  There is a dealer service bulletin instructing dealers to weld them on from about 1989.  I've seen lots of different versions of front wheels, and yours are the TALLEST ones I have ever seen.  Mine are more like the fixed height oval rollers on the 48" decks.  I'm sure your clearance problems are related to those very tall front wheels.  Maybe it would slide under if those wheels were dropped all the way down to the ground?
I know that some guys drive over, but I have had trouble with the deck spitting forward when I try to drive on, and I worry about doing something stupid in the process like damaging a front tire or snapping off a zerk fitting.  It seemed like a great idea when I first heard it, but it just didn't save me any time or effort when I tried it.

The front wheels look just like my original front wheels.  I doubt that he needs the wheels lifting the deck so high, they are to be adjusted so that they have about 1/4" ground clearance when the deck is lowered to the desired mowing height.  Of course the deck would have to be adjusted for level first.

I have a smooth concrete floor and I can slide my deck in with a little manipulation. Remember to feed the mule drive ahead as you slide the deck in.

Is there any chance that the OP has a straight front axle?

WNYPCRepair

Looks swept in the pictures, and mine definitely is

cleat

IMG_7347aaaa.thumb.jpg.0447d4d38a5a00673IMG_7348aaaa.thumb.jpg.210bd44996bf08d2b

Here are pictures of mine. I thought I had a picture of the tires hitting, but I guess not. This is the lift bar and attachomatic hitting, with the deck on the ground with wheels lowered. The lift only has to lift it slightly to get it to lock in. I have since lowered the front rollers, and it isn't as bad, but it isn't easy. 

Gauge wheels should be adjusted as they are set to raise the front of the deck too high. They should not be touching the ground if the deck is levelled properly.
Also, I think your tach is not latching properly, is bent or worn. The bar on the deck should securely latch into place

Otherwise great deck, I love mine and it mows very well. Makes the tractor work though.

Cleat

WNYPCRepair

It is partially latched, so I could get the deck under that far. With it unlatched, it won't go under at all.

muz123

So should i level my deck or does it look ok?

cheesegrader

Muz,

Your deck looks OK, but it is hard to tell in pictures.  The only way to know is to check with a level, and adjust the trunion at the back center of the shell.
The front anti-scalp wheels look like they are set really low.  I would raise them so they just barely hit the ground before the front of the shell scrapes.
They aren't supposed to touch the ground at all if everything is adjusted right