ScottR

Gator blades for 42 and 48 inch SD

ScottR

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to determine the correct Oregon Gator blades to order for these decks. Both are 1994-1995 vintage.  I saw a post about a Toro Form # 492-0392 file but my search didn't bring it up. Can someone point me to a blade chart that I can use to cross reference to Oregon blades?

It's raining again today.  I've had a lot of seat time so far this year. Not complaining.

Thank you. 
Scott

daveoman1966
48_gator_(5).thumb.JPG.25493faea6e0284d0Am I allowed to tell you I have a set of 48" Gator Blades listed on E-bay?  # 131494531912

ScottR

I guess you could by PM

gwest_ca

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to determine the correct Oregon Gator blades to order for these decks. Both are 1994-1995 vintage.  I saw a post about a Toro Form # 492-0392 file but my search didn't bring it up. Can someone point me to a blade chart that I can use to cross reference to Oregon blades?

It's raining again today.  I've had a lot of seat time so far this year. Not complaining.

Thank you. 
Scott

I just did a search of the "Files" using 492-0392 and it comes up 8 times because the original is a huge 82 page file and it is available that way but also split up by subject for smaller files.

These 15 pages have the original blade numbers

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/675-chart-blades-and-spindle-cups-rotary-mower-15-pages-492-0392pdf/

Garry

PaulC

42" SD Oregon 90-643, 48" SD Oregon 90-644

I just recently bought the 90-643's for my 42 SD and im pretty happy with them. I do notice they cut the clippings up a bit more then are not heads and tails over the original blades, probably not worth buying if you are replacing good blades hoping for a better cut. If you are replacing blades that are toast these IMO are a better option over the aftermarket blades like Stens or the like. If you can find NOS wheel horse blades they might be your best bet. I found a NOS set at my local hardware store and they seem to hold the edge much better. The gators had a lot of dings on the cutting edge after just a few mows and the NOS ones had much less after many more mows.

• Like 1

ScottR

Thank you Garry for the link to the blade numbers.

Paul, I was thinking about mounting both the gator and the original blade on each spindle in a cross pattern.  I saw a post on this and it sounded like this arrangement did a decent job of chopping up clippings. 

PaulC

Paul, I was thinking about mounting both the gator and the original blade on each spindle in a cross pattern.  I saw a post on this and it sounded like this arrangement did a decent job of chopping up clippings. 

Funny you mention that Scott I just did this myself and put another post on a different thread where I mentioned wanting to try this. I only got 1 mow in with this "X" arrangement and to my surprise I was very underwhelmed. The grass I mowed was a bit thicker then usual but I felt like the clumping you get from the rear discharge was worse? It seemed like all the grass was just getting dumped right behind the center of the deck instead of getting spread out. I pulled out this morning thinking "man my front yard looks like crap" I may give it another shot but my feeling now is I wont be keeping it that way.

ScottR

Paul,

Please post if you try it again. You may save me some aggravation. 

Thanks,

Scott

PaulC

I got 2 more mows in with the X setup of standard and gator blades and I will say im much happier with the setup now. The first time I mowed the grass was a bit wet and I think that's why I had the bad clumping. Wet grass can be an issue with rear discharge decks regardless of blades so not sure why that didn't come to mind at the time. I even took this setup across the street to my neighbors who doesn't mow often so the grass/weeds was 8-10" tall and it plowed right through. It didn't look perfect by any means but it was much better then the last time I did that with the side discharge.

mrc

hi PaulC, on most wh decks i encounter with only one blade installed the spindle shaft does not have much, if any thread left after tightening the spindle nut. how do you accomplish this "X" pattern?  thank you.  mike in mass. 

ScottR

Paul,

Thanks for your progress report. I guess I have to try if for myself now.  Which blades did you install first?  Did you feel that the clippings were chopped up more than with one blade?

Thanks,

Scott

skrusins

I also use 6 blades on my 42" and 48". I use no washers had this set up for a couple years now with no problems.
Gator blade first

Edited by skrusins

PaulC

I also use 6 blades on my 42" and 48". I use no washers had this set up for a couple years now with no problems.
Gator blade first

this is the same as I have it gator blade, standard blade, nut 

Lane Ranger

I put a set of the Gator Mulching blades on a 42 inch side discharge deck for my brother!