skeptichorse

no traction

Callen

Glad you didn't have to get into the gearbox. If you tightened the hub where it is in your pic, the key can come out. You really need to move it out flush with the end of the axle shaft. The setscrew over the key will force the key to rotate the outside end of the key up into the key way in the hub. If it comes loose again it can only move in and won't be able to come off. The hub on the other side looks like it needs attention, also.

• Like 1

Horse46

Totally agree with you Callen, the end of the axel should be flush with the face of the wheel, and the set screw tightened down on the woodruff key. 
The hub should be about 2" from the transmission casing. 
Mine slid too the casing, I had to use a puller to get mine off, a common occurrence when left unchecked. 

skeptichorse

OH good thing I posted those picts I made it look like opposite side thinking that is how it came from factory.

So tonight I will have my son pull the right and I will adjust the left,  good father and son time :lol: who knows maybe he will learn something, 
 I know I am learning from this.  Let pray that the right will shimmey out enough with out having to use a puller.

I am assuming that all the grease/oil is on the axle shaft from a seal leak, I didn't add anything to it to help get it off that is how wet it was.  For the time being I am just going to keep an eye on it and hope it may swell up some now that it is being used again. 

I am also thinking that by making the rear wheel base 4in wider that should help improve that traction as well, not saying the tires are still not an issue

can whlvr

to repair this you will need to remove the tranny and split it,then you will need to separate the differential to get at the end of the axle where your clip has fell off or broke,theres a great video of this by one of our longtime members

bmsgaffer

to repair this you will need to remove the tranny and split it,then you will need to separate the differential to get at the end of the axle where your clip has fell off or broke,theres a great video of this by one of our longtime members

Don,

It was an optical illusion. TTransmission is fine, just need to make sure to get a key in both hubs and make them flush with the end of the axle.

And yes, looks like you wil need both rear seals. Still available and easy to fix. I love cheap and easy fixes!

P.s. if the other hub is stuck, DO NOT use a reguar jaw puller, you will probably break the hub (as so many of us have) and they are hard to find. Search hub puller on here and you will come up with lots of clever solutions!

can whlvr

sorry didn't read ALL the posts,my bad

skeptichorse

Ok so since it rained here most of the day, I decided to go out and work on those hubs.  I made them flush to the axles ends, adjusted the tire pressure down to 10 PSI each.  I cleaned the gunk off the brakes and cleaned them up, and adjusted them be a good thing to have decent working brakes on at least one mower.  Generally just puttered on it.   I am kind of surprised the condition this is in for supposedly sitting out side and sunk up to the frame for the past 8 yrs.  I excepted to get the torches out to make this work and it did take a little persuasion from a 5 lb mallet on the one hub to work it out, but other than that every bolt came right off with little fight.

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

N3PUY
 it did take a little persuasion from a 5 lb mallet on the one hub to work it out,                

That's a "no-no".   Some day when you disassemble a transmission you'll see why you never hammer a hub off.  
   A friend of mine had an axle slide out this winter .... when I looked at it the first thing I noticed was the hammer marks on the back of the hub.  
       The only thing that holds the axle in is a "C" clip.  Not made for that kind of horizontal force.   
    Next time use a puller! 

skeptichorse

ok fair enough I should have clarified.. I meant light tapping with the hammer 4-5 taps rotate the hub 4-5 rotate.. I did not beat on it (i could have got away with a lighter hammer or if I took the time to soak the axle I probably could have done it by hand) .  If it got to that point that it felt froze on there I would have come back here first for tips on how to pull it while letting it soak in penetrating oil.