dwcphoto

518 quit

dwcphoto

Hi Folks,
  It's firewood hauling time. My 518H has been running like a charm, starts right up better than ever. So I was surprised that it just quit, when I was heading back into the woods for another load of wood.  Looks like there's some gas in it, though not much. Thing is, it won't turn at all. Dead when turning the switch. Been showing a charge on the gauge.  I started wiggling wires and will put a meter on the batt to see if that's alright.   Any ideas?  Seems like electric to me. Thank you, dwc

dwcphoto

The battery has juice. When I turn the key nothing happens. The needles on the electric or gas gauge don't move a bit. I checked fuses, one in front and the two one the right behind the engine and they look fine. That's all I can tell you right now. Thank you, d

gwest_ca

Pto must be OFF
Transmission must be in neutral
Play with both levers a bit in case one of the safety switches are a bit off

Here is a detailed wiring diagram. Each circuit has it's own diagram.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2179-tractor-1988-518-h-wiring-detailedpdf/
I like the #492-4509 one better

Garry

dwcphoto

Thank you for your reply.  I was able to jump the solenoid, so I'm guessing that's the problem. I have to wait til tomorrow to get a part.  Funny thing is I just replaced it last summer. The original one had been on there since the late 80s! Thanks, dwc

gwest_ca

If you applied 12 volts to the small solenoid terminal and the solenoid kicked in the solenoid is not the problem. If you did not do that try it.

Garry

dwcphoto

That's a good thought, but I already took the old one off. I did check continuity in the switch and that looks good. I picked up a solenoid at a hardware store last night, since my tractor supply place was closed, and one of the terminals twisted off when I turned the nut down. Back to the tractor shop this morning. Thanks, dwc

dwcphoto

Not the solenoid. Put the old one back on after talking to the owner of the shop. Said if the tractor just quits when it's running, it can't be the solenoid. Sprayed out the fuse holders with brake cleaner and found a bolt loose on the engine mount, which could cause lose of ground, I'm told.  After cleaning out the two fuse holders in the back/right of the engine, I started to hear a click up in the dash. Turned the key and away it went. Finished hauling in the wood I had cut just as the rain came and the sun went down.  Dust, dust, more dust and grime. Thank you for your input. best, dwc