-1badr6-

New Here, need some identification of a 520H I might buy

-1badr6-

Thanks guys.  I am looking at purchasing a 520H.  I have a fairly small yard.  Have a craftsman mower that has done me just fine.  I have found myself using it for a lot more than just mowing.

Looking to use it for snow plowing my driveway, rototilling our garden and hopefully using the sweeper for leaves.

Anyways, I am looking to see what year this tractor is.  The guy who owns it does not know.

Thanks.

tractor2.jpg

tractor1.jpg

Shuboxlover

88 or 89

That 520 does not have swept front axle or steering reduction.  Looks like it's been well cared for though!!!

Edited by Shuboxlover

-1badr6-

That is what I thought.  

It is a 1/2 owner tractor.  Son got it from his dad.  It has 1000 hours on it, comes with a tiller, snowblower, wheel weights, plow and sweeper.  All look pretty much brand new.

Wants $2000, what do you guys think this is worth.

Thanks

weights.jpg

tiller.jpg

sweeper.jpg

plow.jpg

snowblower.jpg

Edited by -1badr6-

bmsgaffer

1000 hours is a lot on an onan, but it looks like it was meticulously maintained. 

The attachments also look pristine, so I think $2000 is not out of line, but may be high. 

tall chute - $450
weights - $75
blade - $150
sweeper - $100
tiller - $350

that leaves ~$900 for the tractor

The 520 doesnt have the swept front axle (more highly sought after), but looks fantastic for 1000 hours. If you can do a compression test and verify 95psi+ on each cylinder it would easily be worth that price. If not you could be staring down many hundreds of dollars of engine work or replacement engine if its on the edge of loosing a rear valve seat. 

Its not a guarantee that it will loose a seat but seems to be common on the wheel horse Onan's. Some go 2000+ hours with no issue.

If you could get it for $1500 I'd say it would be a no-brainer, $2k may still be a good price. Hope that helps!

Welcome to Redsquare!

• Like 1

-1badr6-

Greatly appreciate the information.  I can easily do a compression test as long as it is easy to access the plugs.

I will go see it and make sure that it is as clean as it looks and do the test.  Once again thanks for the information.

Thanks.

bmsgaffer

Just so you know, that plow is not correct for the tractor (looks like it was for an older short-frame model tractor), but it does appear to have been modified to work. 

Check that the deck turns smoothly and quietly too.

I forgot to add in that those hubcaps if free of pitting are worth $100+ and the deck can be anywhere from $75-300 depending on how it looks up close. Check for rot, cracks, or other damage.  

I will let someone else here chime in on the numbers for the compression test (make sure 95psi or so is what you are looking for) and if its easy to access the rear cylinder. I have yet to compression test my 520 (its sitting in the garage awaiting its time).

cleat

Also make sure you get all the little bits like the lift link for the blade, lift rod for the blower, idlers for the tiller etc.

Cleat

• Like 3

Tankman

1000 hours is a lot on an Onan, but it looks like it was meticulously maintained. 

The attachments also look pristine, so I think $2000 is not out of line, but may be high. 

If you could get it for $1500 I'd say it would be a no-brainer, $2k may still be a good price. Hope that helps!

Welcome to Redsquare!

​Ditto. Go for $1500 but, $2000 isn't that terrible. 

truckin88

Due to China and the internet repowers are much cheaper than 5 years ago. If everything check out 2k is not far off, the hubcaps are worth 100-150

I would offer 1500 and settle at 1800-1900. That's a once machine.

shallowwatersailor

I wouldn't go over $1500, even with all of those attachments. It does look like it saw regular maintenance so that is a plus. I had an '89 and it was a very good tractor.

• Like 1