yzf450motoxrider

new tractor 312A

yzf450motoxrider

Just inherited a Wheel horse 312A. I have a few questions. Are there any snow blower attachments for this model? If not is the attachment for the 312-8 compatible with this tractor? Anyone know where I can get mulching blades for it size 17.5in? Also I am considering changing out the engine for a 16 to 20 hp engine will the drive system be able to handle the added power?

Thanks,

Dom

Racinbob
:text-welcomeconfetti:to Redsquare
Blowers for the C, 300 and 400 series will fit. I'm not sure about the mulching blades. The drive train will handle the added horsepower just fine.

yzf450motoxrider

thanks for the info.

gwest_ca

17-1/2" long blades does not sound correct.
How many blades on the deck - 2 or 3?
What is the width of cut?
Side or rear discharge?

Garry

Sparky

Why the need for extra horsepower? The 312 hydro tractors were sold with a heavy duty and a light duty hydro drive system, you should know which you have before adding another 4-6 HP. If you have manual lift then you have the lighter duty hydro (Eaton-700).....hydraulic lift tells you that its the heavy duty hydro (Eaton-1100).
Mike......... 

• Like 1

yzf450motoxrider

I wanted the extra power for mulching and a blower attachment. It is the manual lift.

bmsgaffer

Mulching does NOT work well on any wheel horse decks except the 42" rear discharge deck with a recycler kit (closes off the baffles under it). And even then, some claim mediocre performance.

Dont waste your time or money trying to make it work ive already done it for you. :deadhorse:

a (belt driven) power flow bagger will work well but they are hard to find and a bit cumbersome.

yzf450motoxrider

here's a pic. Also the blades are actually 18.5" makes more sense considering the deck is 37".

wheel horse.jpg

gwest_ca

Original blades from Toro 109079 is a 2-blade set
Napa 2 of # 7-04724
Oregon 2 of # 91-817

Hole 3/4in. round

18-3/4" long

Have never seen a mulching blade for these.

Garry

dcrage

And you DO NOT need the "power flow bagger" set-up for that deck to bag the discharge -- The 37" decks were apparently designed to generate extra lift/throw -- There is a factory 2 bag collection system with a 3 piece HDPE (I assume) tube system to attach directly to this deck -- Optimally this would be used with a special replacement "high lift" right blade (has extra large fins on the back of the cutting area) -- Special blade is NOT required 

12 horses will do all of the cutting/blowing (I am assuming you won't try to run a 2-stage blower) you could possibly want to do -- You will always lose traction before running out of power -- My experience is with a 310-8 which would supposedly be equivalent to your 312-A in that the hydro consumes more power than the geared transmission

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 2

bmsgaffer
:text-yeahthat:

Of course you would have the 37" deck, the one exception to the bagger issue.

12 horse should be plenty.

yzf450motoxrider

Thanks for the info. I was able find the manual, parts diagrams, and attachment brochure. It looks like the only thing it wont take is a rear plow. It will accept the clevis hitch. however not the plow. not sure why that is. As far as the blower it would be single I an a little worried it wont throw the snow far enough. Would a 4 ft plow be better?

boovuc

It won't accept the plow because the Eaton 700 tranny is a mid-duty transmission and plowing would ruin it. "Dirt" plowing is, IMO the biggest test of any tractor. Garden or farm.
Your fine with most other attachments except a 2-stage blower. Nice machine!

PS.......keep the 12 horse Kohler. It is a great motor with just the right balance of power and fuel economy.

Edited by boovuc

ScottCT

I use my 312-8 for clearing snow with the single stage blower. We've had storms here that have dropped feet of snow and that blower chews right through it launching it a good 15 feet in the air and 20/25 feet away so I don't see you having any problem with a single stage blower or horsepower. I also run the 37 inch deck on my 310-8. It's definitely not my favorite deck but I like using it with the bagger for leaves in the fall. I have the high lift blade on it and it makes a huge difference in the amount of suction the deck develops. The downfall of the high lift blade is (at least to the best of my knowledge) only available from Toro and it's about 110 bucks. Since I'm only using it as a giant lawn vacuum for leaves I can live with my old dull beat up blade but if you wanted to mow and bag your lawn you might have to bite the bullet for a good sharp high lift blade. 

Tankman

PS.......keep the 12 horse Kohler. It is a great motor with just the right balance of power and fuel economy.

​The 12 hp Kohler is a "forever" power house! 

• Excellent 1