econo

engine run on

econo

So I have my 855 running pretty well. So well in fact she wants to keep going after shutting the ignition off. I remember we had this problem before. Kohler 181. After engine is warmed up and running at higher speeds seems to trigger it. If I idle her down before shut off seems to help but she will still run a minute or two. Have to put her in third speed and pop clutch to kill it. I don't mind installing a kill switch but would rather find the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciate.  Thanks

wallfish

Check your switch. If it's still putting 12v to the coil while in the stop position it will continue to run.
Carbon build up can sometimes stay hot enough to trigger ignition too.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

You must be working that horse hard or its running lean. When an engine gets so hot it can diesel " fuel ignites from heat" and stay running after spark is cut out. Would looks for signs of running lean first. Also, What are you using it for? Could be timing also. Usually if it is being worked really hard , you can idle it for a few minutes and it should shut off normally.

Kyle 

Theroundhousernr

Check your switch. If it's still putting 12v to the coil while in the stop position it will continue to run.
Carbon build up can sometimes stay hot enough to trigger ignition too.

​Yes, could be a dirty ignition switch and its not fully turning off.

econo

Am using it to cut grass for about 30 minutes only. will check carb mixture, switch and timing. seems like dieseling is more likely though. want to work out the bugs before doing any bodywork...

boovuc

I had a bad ignition switch on my 857/K181 and it wouldn't shut down regardless of how long I ran it. It would start to shut down then put-put-put back to life. I think some carbon build up and a lean mixture as mentioned above. She's running hot and since these are mechanical fuel pumps, it will just keep firing with fresh fuel until it cools enough to shut off.

:twocents-02cents: