Tom.

Another wheel horse purchase on the other side of the pond!

Tom.

I have been wanting an auto wheel horse for a while and this one popped up advertised as not having a spark but it looked very tidy in the pictures. I liked the look of it a lot as it was original. I spoke to the owner and he was very honest and said that the wiring needed going through, I set my limit and luckily I won it. I did have a bit of a panic as my dad fell ill recently and is unable to drive but a good friend who is also a collector offered to get it for me! My plans are to try and source a hydraulic lift assembly for it and plumb it all in, it's definitely going to be a keeper. Anyway, I know you all want pictures so here it is:

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_5.jpg

It also came with some weird sort of frame under the hitch, anyone know what this is and whether it's original?

image_4.jpg

After I got it home I couldn't resist having a play and to see if I could get it running. I tested the coil, condenser and spark plug and they were all OK, cleaned and reset gap on the points but still no luck. I then ran a temporary wire giving the coil constant power from the battery and turned it over and we had a spark, put the plug in and off she went, a fair bit of smoke but it soon cleared, it hasn't been run in about 5 years so it was expected. The lack of spark was down to some awful wiring, here is an example of a join in the wire:

image_1.jpg

This was just covered in insulation tape, the wiring is totally gone and I have decided I am going to make a new wiring harness. The only problems I'm having is finding a plug for the ignition, also what connectors do these plugs use? I think I have found some links to them in the USA but I can't seem to find any over here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

That one looks to be a keeper for sure! It should make a fine addition to your :wh: collection :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Edited by Wheel-N-It

muz123

Nice find!

woodchuckfarmer

Nice clean tractor. Put some polish on and make her shine......Wayne

608KEB

Sweet!

Racinbob

That is one clean machine! Can't help you on the hitch but it's got hints of factory and also fabricated. It sounds like you have the electrical issues under control. :handgestures-thumbupright:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Well done Tom. A+......

Glenn

Sparky

Nice looking machine!

I wonder if the U shaped metal bracket under the hitch was to lift it a bit and offer more weight carrying capacity......I have always felt the drawbar was a bit low.

Mike.....

Tom.

Thanks guys, I love it, the hydro is really nice. I'm definitely going to keep it original. The hitch looks factory as the welds are very, very neat and it looks wheel horse colour. I am with Mike on it strengthening the hitch to carry more, I was just curious as to whether it was original..

Tom

Retired Wrencher

Hi Tom I had a C141 at one time and it had the same issue. I thought about it and said just get it  running. I buy passed all the safety switches. and made it straight. It is still running today buy a happily retired new owner. Being responsible  older people  I think the switches we not needed. I hope that you enjoy it looks like a keeper. Gary    B...

Tom.

Hi Gary,

I will definitely enjoy it. I agree with you, I think the PTO switch is still intact so I may connect that but other than that it will just be the basic wiring.

Tom

bo dawg

That looks to be a Sweet tractor! Thats the way to find them.

Tom.

Thanks, it certainly is sweet!!

Tom

meadowfield

:thumbs:

Horse46

I looked at that one too, infact I was about to buy it and I decided I needed a hedge trimmer more. You lucky man  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tom.

Thanks, I certainly am lucky, it's a real gem!

Had some time on it today. Got it all wired up, new fuel lines and filter and turned the key and off she went. I am very happy. It does smoke a little but I'm hoping a carb clean and de-carbon the head will help. It does run well though and the throttle shaft has minimal wear.  

ED655A54-0F0D-4EFE-A33F-9EEA03272260.jpg

CA128F89-2830-4F6C-8611-229F23C725C4.jpg

Group photo:

26041233-5423-4D69-9C44-4281DE2774F2.jpg

The next things to do are put the new decals on, grip tape on the foot boards, install an ammeter and clean up wiring and fuel lines and finally get a new battery for it. The only other problem is that the headlights work however they are intermittent and it's only when you wiggle the wires they work, faulty connection within the unit I expect? I haven't looked into it but are they sealed or can you split them?

I have a video that I will try and upload later on.

Tom