jimpop

520HC Hydro Transmission

jimpop

I have a 1987(could be a 1988)  520HC , I mowed about 20 minutes today and transmission just quit,  no forward, no reverse, it was not hot, it was full of oil on dipstick,  I removed seat and deck over the rearend, when moving the lever to make it go forward or reverse, all is working good on top of transmission,   it was like a  clip had fallen off in side of transmission or a key way had fallen out some where,  motor runs great, hydraulic lift works great just no movement of tractor no matter where the control is, with it jacked up in rear end the tires free wheel easy and no noise in transmission,    it just stopped working in short grass. I do not want to get rid of it  but I do not want to put a fortune in it. I am not afraid to take it apart if anyone has any ideas on what to look for,  I have a pretty good garage and I think I have all the tools needed,  any one have any ideas, I would appreciate it.  Thanks   tractor only has 837 hours, engine on it only has less than 150 hours.

post-15205-0-88566600-1430697832_thumb.j

post-15205-0-90803700-1430697846_thumb.j

Edited by jimpop

gwest_ca

Make sure the transmission input shaft is turning with the pulley.

Make sure both wheels are turning with the axles.

Each has a Woodruff key and if one of them shears - no drive.

Garry

jimpop

Thanks, will check tomorrow

jimpop

I need the hydrostatic transmission fan for this tractor, I think the part# is 108393,  any one know where I can find one?

bmsgaffer

www.rcpw.com https://www.rcpw.com/toro-parts/genuine/108393.html

But just a note, that the fan (or lack there of) will not cause this. Many hours of operation without a fan may point out that this transmission has been overheated and damaged.

What were the results of looking at the items that Garry pointed out above?

Also, you have an extra hose sticking out below your fuel tank? if this is a hydraulic hose, where does it go? Its not supposed to be there.

OH and welcome to RS!

Is there a hydraulic oil filter on your tractor? There should be and I cant tell if its just the angle, but that's where the hose seems to be coming from, and you might have bigger issues if someone bypassed the oil filter AND it was missing the cooling fan.

Edited by bmsgaffer

jimpop

Ordered new fan and after removing rear wheels and side panels I discovered the belt that runs the hydro pump was broken, I could not see it till I got it apart,  I did not look very hard I guessed bigger problems, ordered belt, so I think every thing will be ok with new belt and fan, thanks for all the help to all

• Like 1