Terry M

Original Kohler Parts or After Market parts for K91?

Terry M
post-5864-0-40346300-1393470537_thumb.jp

I'm wanting to rebuild a K-91 engine and have noticed that the original Kohler parts are EXPENSIVE!!  My question is,  has anybody had good luck with the Stens or other aftermarket rebuild parts such as piston rods, piston kits, or any other parts?.

Just looking for some opinions and comments.

Edited by Terry M

rmaynard

In my opinion, good quality after-market parts are available from such suppliers as Stens, Rotary and BBT Power Parts.

• Like 1

MalMac

Here's my take on OEM vs. aftermarket. I have rebuilt several Kohler's, I have used nothing but OEM. Now with that being said I am now in the middle of a rebuilding a Kohler and I am having a very hard time justifying spending what Kohler wants for parts. There are members on here that have used aftermarket parts and have had great success. I in the past ordered some aftermarket parts and sent them right back because the quality was just not there. What Kohler is asking for OEM parts now is just ridiculous. So i myself am going to try aftermarket. I know there are some brands better than others. Anymore in todays world and how big business works it would not surprise me if several of the aftermarket brand all came form the same manufacture just package different. Like I said I personally can not justify the prices Kohler is asking, even then I don't know if OEM is really any better now. There probably coming from the same Chinese factory that the rest of after marketing coming from.

• Like 1

wheel-mule

I sell a lot of aftermarket parts.Not all parts but a large amount are made by the very same manufacture.Most electrical parts,Gaskets, spark plugs ,fuel pumps.are the same .Enternal parts are about 50-50 .My parts supplier can't tell me which are which but I have gotten Kohler aftermarket rods that had the Kohler parts number molded in the rod just like the OEM. I have also gotten blades with both the OEM and aftermarket number stamped on them.

• Like 1

Shynon

Terry I built the 12hp kohler on my worker with the aftermarket parts, I will use them again. Good machining and cleanliness equals good rebuilt, engine rpm set properly, regular oil changes will make it last a long time. Just my :twocents-02cents:  I am currently using machine shop in Northfield. Does good work.

Tom

• Like 1

oldredrider

I have rebuilt countless Kohler engines and primarily use aftermarket parts because of cost.

Not a single one has ever had a problem. Proper rebuilding procedures will give excellent results.

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 4

Jake Kuhn

I've always used real kohler parts as I found some for a good deal at a show, but have used most all of them up now. I'm looking towards trying the aftermarket parts on the next rebuild I do, as real kohler parts are getting to be crazy expensive. I have found pats small engine to be the most reasonable on prices for just about any small engine stuff. They have pistons and some gaskets, but I have not seen any aftermarket rods yet. I did go with aftermarket parts on my jd 60 and lawn ranger, but those were techies. They havne't had a problem internally, but of course I've fought the carb/ignition issues all tecumsehs have...lol

• Like 1