scotty

New b-80 transmission problem

stevasaurus

Excellent pictures Scotty...thanks. 

Well, it doesn't look like it is a differential bolt this time.  The rest of the trans looks great, from what I can see.  If you have the other hub off, file any burrs on the axle ends and just lift out the differential.  I think your trouble is in the differential.  Look at your 2nd to the last picture.  I think I see 3 pinion shaft dimples out of the 4 pinion shafts.  I think the one at 10:00 is in the wrong way...this would "lock" the differential (both axles would spin in the same direction when the trans is in neutral)...but the one at 5:00 appears to be in right.  Not sure what this combination would do.  Take the differential apart, and take notice if the pinions do not alternate up and down in their places.  You may also have an axle gear or 2 with no teeth or broken teeth...and also some messed up pinions.  Take some pictures again if you would.  Racinfool40 ( Mike) should have the parts you may need...send him a PM when you find out.  If all the bolts are OK, you can re-use them, but change out the nuts.  Let us know.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

groundhog47

Scotty, :greetings-clappingorange: Steve's the man ain't he. My first one looked 10 times worse, but is a survivor.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Transmissions are like a box of chocolates, you just never know what is inside until you open one up.  :eusa-think:

The world according to Stevasaurus.  :bow-blue:

• Like 6

Geno

That was pretty deep there Stevie.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I know, but it is so true.  They can look like junk on the outside and be full of water and look like new when you open them (like this one)...or they can look shiny on the outside and be totally rusted shut on the inside...you just never know.  The other thing you never know until you open it??  Has someone been in here since it was new??  If I am right about Scotty's...somebody has been in here before.  :)

• Like 1

racinfool40

I agree..want to see the inside of the differential......Steve...them dimpels on the pinions dont mean anything..I have pinions that have them on both side's....so by looking at the pic's it is hard to say what direction they are....I guess I need to take more pics of the one's I tear down.....

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I know Mike...these are the pinions where the post is part of the pinion...not the ones the have a separate shaft.  The single pinion and shaft (one piece) have been like that, from what I have seen.  It was the only thing I saw in the pictures that showed any clue to what Sotty's got going on.  The suspense is killing me.  :bow-blue:   You know I just love to try to guess what is going on inside a trans from what a member says...keeps me young.  :)

• Like 3

scotty

Well looks like steve was right not good. Axle gears only have about 2 teeth. And parts of the pinion gears are stripped. He sure knows what hes talking about! Any ideas of what would do that?

WP_20141206_004_zps28ee7679.jpg

WP_20141206_003_zps626c6c31.jpg

WP_20141206_002_zpsa7e6bb04.jpg

WP_20141206_001_zps62847a1d.jpg

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

The 4 pinions are not quite as strong as the 8 pinion diffs, but if i had to venture a guess I would say wheelies, "burn outs", or some heavy duty ground work...

stevasaurus

Send a PM to Racinfool40 (Mike), he should have the parts.  Looks like 2 axle gears and 4 pinions...the axles themselves should be OK.  Pull the axles out of the housing, pop the "C" clip and the axle gear should slide off.  :)  Great pictures Scotty...thanks

One question...the pinions...were they in correctly, or was one put in wrong??  That itself would explain the damage to the gears.  The fact that you said "you could get it to catch once in a while" pointed to the teeth off the axle gears.  This is definitely fixable for not much money...you want to replace the seals also...and change out those "C" clips.  Thanks for the great pictures Scotty...worth a thousand words.  I know Mike and I will be talking about this transmission at Mentone next spring.  :)  Mike and I are a great team here on Red Square.  :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

scotty

Thanks for all the help but i ended up just using it for parts i always needed a set of good axles for my b-80. And one of the pinions was set in wrong. Definitely some hands have been in this transmission. Also a few bearings were bad and it was missing an axle bearing and the other was bad. I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me tearing down my first transmission. I have another question though are the 8 pinion rear ends in all 8 speeds or is it just some of them?

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

There were two transmissions with 6 forward speeds and 4 pinions but they also used 1" axles

Garry

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Garry is right about the 6 speeds.  The newer 8 speed transmissions come in 3 different deals.

1)  8 speed, 4 pinion with 1" axles

2) 8 speed, with 8 pinions with 1 1/8" axles

3) 8 speed with 10 pinions with 1 1/8" axles.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Garry is right about the 6 speeds.  The newer 8 speed transmissions come in 3 different deals.

1)  8 speed, 4 pinion with 1" axles

2) 8 speed, with 8 pinions with 1 1/8" axles

3) 8 speed with 10 pinions with 1 1/8" axles.

Sorry :offtopic:

And if you had to pick one, which one is your favorite? Based on ease of repair, durability and raw power ( :handgestures-thumbupright: had to put that in there, it just felt right)? 

Edited by AJ_Thanatos
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

The guys, that use the horses for pulling, like the 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  There all about the same to tear down and fix.   :)

• Like 2