rustykan

C-120 Starter Solenoid

rustykan

Would the starter solenoid on my C-120 be a standard 12V solenoid? Looking up the Toro part number, it lists for $50 and up. I was going to replace mine just for cosmetic reasons, but not for that price. I will try to restore it if I have to, but if I can get a new one for around $15, why bother.

post-12646-0-36227600-1415243146_thumb.j

rmaynard

They are 12 volts. If you have a TSC near you, they sell one just like that for about $10. NAPA Auto Parts also has them for a little more.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/buyers-motor-solenoid-12v?cm_vc=-10005

Edited by rmaynard

Save Old Iron

From my experience, your relay clocks in about an 8 on a cosmetic scale 1 -10.

If cosmetics compel you into restoration action, just take a soft brass brush and clean up the metal contacts and bracket.

Clean the plastic body and give it a quick mist coat of gloss black paint after taping off the metal parts.

Reliability wise, unless you have known electrical issues with this piece, you may be much better off with your current relay than a $10 import.

doc724

That solenoid looks darn good to me, but in your pix, there appears to be a nut missing on the right terminal.

rmaynard

That solenoid looks darn good to me, but in your pix, there appears to be a nut missing on the right terminal.

...and the battery cable. 

rustykan

This photo was taken during the tear down process, that's why the nut is removed. I have repainted everything else, that's why I wanted to do something with this.