JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

tecumseh H60,,,,,,, basic information

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok guys,,, maybe some of you saw my thread in the 50 dollar wheel horse. I am considering buying it. BUT,, it needs the H60 engine for it. Thats what it came with originally,,,,, the tractor currently has a who knows what in it. I started looking for a H60,,, found a few H50 and one H70 motor,,, the H70 looks really nice.

my question is,,,,,,,,, what do I need to know for the H60 or H70 engine for it to fit and work?

Shaft size would be important I guess,,,, but what else should I look for?

I dont want to buy something that wont work and waste my hard earned money and my time.

thanks you for any and all pointers and pitfalls.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

KC9KAS

As stated in an earlier post...........

Should have a model number of 1-3631.

4 speed, Tecumseh H60-75118H, Wheel Horse rear-end # 5053.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

As stated in an earlier post...........

Should have a model number of 1-3631.

4 speed, Tecumseh H60-75118H, Wheel Horse rear-end # 5053.

kc,,,,, made those notes from your original post to me.

let me ask you,,,,,, did you ever deal with a brain dead boob? Lol. Thats all I have been coming up with on a few of these engines I found. A few of them are lucky they know thier names and the day of the week. Ask some simple questions and get duh,, what and huh,,,, for answers. But thanks again for your post to me.

Glenn

slammer302

I would look for one with 1" crank shaft and you will need a mounting plate for a tecky

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I would look for one with 1" crank shaft and you will need a mounting plate for a tecky

Slammer what is a tecky? Is it delude rant from the H60? Your reply helps narrow the field. Thanks.

Glenn

slammer302

Its a slang term for Tecumseh

Wish I had a good one for you but every thing I have is pretty ruff

I think I might have a mounting plate if the one you end up finding don't

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If originality is important to you...

try placing a Tecumseh H-60, or HH-60 "wanted" ad in the classifieds here Glenn. 

Might get better results from your Techy search that way.     :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/10-wanted/

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok. Thanks guys. Wheel horse kohler guy moving into tecumseh "tecky"

Craig....H60 seems to be the engine. What's the diff. On the HH60. A couple guys used the HH60 term already.

Ty. Glenn

Edit: I forgot. Also started in the Onan group to.

Ken B

h60 is an aluminum block, hh60 is a cast iron block with a 1 inch shaft size. I think the h60's are 3/4 inch shaft? I believe they originally had the cast iron block hh60' on the 500's. If you aren't concerned about the correct cops coming to your door then I would just roll with whatever nice one come's down the pike first. 

• Like 1

Howie

The HH series have a cast iron block.

David

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Glenn,

Broaden your internet search and membership. :) Try these sites. I found them when I ventured into the realm of "Bee-Hinds."

http://www.smokstak.com/

http://www.asecc.com/

The other possibility for an HH60 is another brand from that era. Troy-Bilt, John Deere, etc. used the HH60 as well.

John

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

h60 is an aluminum block, hh60 is a cast iron block with a 1 inch shaft size. I think the h60's are 3/4 inch shaft? I believe they originally had the cast iron block hh60' on the 500's. If you aren't concerned about the correct cops coming to your door then I would just roll with whatever nice one come's down the pike first.

WHAT?????? The correct cops on the engine.........I am still hiding from the fashion police. You seen the way I dress. Lol

Glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES

WHAT?????? The correct cops on the engine.........I am still hiding from the fashion police. You seen the way I dress. Lol

Glenn

:text-yeahthat:...but     :handgestures-thumbsup: 

you're from Jersey Glenn, so it's OK.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

let me ask you,,,,,, did you ever deal with a brain dead boob? Lol. Thats all I have been coming up with on a few of these engines I found. A few of them are lucky they know thier names and the day of the week.

Yes, I have......On a regular basis!

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

let me ask you,,,,,, did you ever deal with a brain dead boob? Lol. Thats all I have been coming up with on a few of these engines I found. A few of them are lucky they know thier names and the day of the week.

Yes, I have......On a regular basis!

KC,,,,,,,,, I cant stop laughing. Frustrating isnt it?

Glenn

edit: my one thousandth post. Shouldnt it be something wise and smart? Lol

• Like 2

to me Tecumseh h60 , h50 and h70 engines are somewhat easy to find....Tecumseh made millions of them.   a lot of them were used on snowblowers , both with 3/4 and 1"  output shafts. some even had dual shafts ,  you probably would want to stay away from that.  some were equipped for electric start , usually 120 volt , but a 12 volt starter will bolt in it's place.   however  finding a Tecumseh setup  with a charging circuit is rare

a good place to look is garage sales , local auctions and Craigslist...just about any garage sale here in Minnesota has an old snowblower . you being in New Jersey i'm sure there are a few there.  in the last few months i've been able to buy 5 runnable  H60s , not paying more than $25 for any of them. i even had the local  Toro dealer give me a running H50 with a 1" shaft

they are out there...good luck!

Edited by 305
  • Like 1

pfrederi

The one inch shaft is the key.  My L107 has been running an HH70 for over 20 years now. (Put that on as it has compression release to help my father.  The original H60 didn't have that.)

Also try to find one with a ring gear on the flywheel makes it esier to add electric start.  I added it to the HH70 but no charging system.  Every 2-3 months I put the battery on the charger,.. She gets run at least 3-4 tomes per week)

Troybilt tilers also used HH60s but would not be a good choice.  3/4" crank and they have the cam shaft end as another PTO

• Like 1

Geno

I get around a little, I'll be on the lookout.  Just take your time and do her up right.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

My Work Horse 700 has the H70 engine, but it is a short block and has the secondary shaft on it....I figured it came off of a tiller (for reverse?).

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Don't forget if you find a decent 3/4" shaft for cheap that you could sleeve it to 1".

• Like 1

Callen

Or you could just use 3/4 pulleys on it.

• Like 1

slammer302

I have done it both ways the motor that's on there now should have 3/4 pulleys on it. My lawn ranger is sleeved to a 1"

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks guys, some very usefull information to help me choose and avoid making a mistake.

The rain stopped,, suns out a bit. Cold out, but heading out the door over to the owners home. Going to take a few pictures and post them when I get back. Maybe you guys will spot something. I hear Genes around,,,,,,, circleing about. I have to make sure he dont tail me.

Glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Probably already been there.

• Like 2

Desko

Wheel horse 312-8 has a h70 for sale for $75 he just posted it a lil bit ago

• Like 1