TSKexcursion

Advice on a 1998 520Lxi

TSKexcursion

This my first post on this site, I hoping the members can help me out with some advice. My Dad recently picked up a 1990 Toro Wheel Horse 520H from an estate sale with a bunch of attachments with super low hours and I am impressed with the quality of it. I currently have a 1992 Cub Cadet 1641 with 1340 hours on it and have been considering upgrading it. I have a 42" deck, a 42" snow thrower and a yard sweep for the Cub Cadet. I got the Cub from my Dad who purchased it new, so I know the history of it. I was searching online and found a 1998 Toro Wheel Horse 520Lxi at an implement dealer in the area. It has 622 hours on it and comes with a 48" deck, a 44" snow blower and a cab. The dealer doesn't have any pictures online, so I looked at it on the lot today and it isn't in bad shape, faded paint and the piece below the grill In broken. The blower has a little rust, but looks to be in good shape. I didn't see the cab. The dealer is asking $2995 for it, is that a reasonable price? I am not going to trade anything so I figure I can get them down some on the price with some cash. What should I be concerned about with it or what should I be looking at on it? I was going to get back there to drive it in the next few days to see how it runs. It would get me a tractor 6 years newer and about 700 hours less on it. Thanks for the help.

Irv

:WRS: I don't  have a 5xi series but from all I've heard they are a great machine. Parts and attachments are harder to come by (and not interchangeable with) than the 3, 4 and 500 series. I personally think, by your description, that the price is high. I would be looking at half that or less, depending on how it ran and worked. I'm sure someone will add more advice. Good luck

bmsgaffer

With the accessories it comes with that would be a reasonable price in good shape. If you could get it for $2k i think it would be a steal. (I helped my BIL buy one but i have not owned an XI)

Just make sure you run it long enough to get the hydro hot and make sure there is no loss of power and no leaks and the gauges all read normal. Make sure there is no blue/white smoke when running etc.

Just my :twocents-02cents: .

Attachments and repair parts are much harder to come by than for your dads 520 (and way more expensive). The difference though is pretty big. The XI has high and low settings for the hydro rear and and weighs in over 1000lbs dry compared to about 650lbs for a 520H. I think the Lxis have power steering too.

shallowwatersailor

The 520Lxi is a completely different tractor than your father's 520-H. Just to put it in perspective, this past summer I bought my third 5xi. It is a 1998 523Dxi diesel that had 605 hours and came with a 52" mower deck, snowplow, a pristine cab that maybe had been used once, two extra pair of ags, clevis hitch, a Brinly disc harrow, and a rear drag plow. Red tractors sell well at "green" dealers - because they're already ripe! All of this for $3K. Here is a picture from when I was buying it and another now getting ready for winter. It is getting the snowthrower that I have plus my new JB sleeve hitch with the drag plow. The snowplow is on the 520xi.

post-3066-0-84146100-1413343052_thumb.jppost-3066-0-56345900-1413343070_thumb.jp

The 520Lxi is the one model that I have not had any direct experience with. There is a series on YouTube showing one being rebuilt. The Kawasaki engine had a history with a plastic cam gear. I would suggest researching that on this forum, and others, to see if this particular tractor would be affected. With the water-cooled engine it would not have the issues of an air-cooled engine but would have its own with the radiator, waterpump, etc. The Kawasaki is light on torque compared to the 522xi with the Kohler Command but should be able to spin the two-stage snowthrower. The platform with the cab is much more roomy than the classic Wheel Horse. And power steering is nice.

Look for any oil leaks on the transaxle. The left axle seal and return hose by the filter are known for possibly leaking. The plastic lower valance is a cosmetic issue (my 520xi's is broken) as it breaks when someone bumps into something. Red paint fades more than any other but you should be able to polish it back. I would think somewhere around $2,500 - $2,700 would be a fair price. Good Luck!

Edited by shallowwatersailor

wh500special

Price and value are hard to assign, but that sounds a bit high to me. However, these things are equivalent to a new $9k tractor so it certainly could be worse.

I have a 520Lxi with almost 2000 hours and it has been an excellent machine. I feel the kawasaki is a little stronger than the kohler 22 horse in the 522xi, but I can't substantiate that claim. Just "feels" stronger when running a mower deck to me.

They are very quiet and smooth running engines. Really a perfect match for the chassis. If I had to rate the xi's, the Lxi is second only to the diesel (I have 4 xi's so have some familiarity with them).

You might want to patrol weekendfreedommachines.com for info on the kawasaki engine. The same motor (basically) was used in the John Deere 425 tractor. I think - you need to verify this independently - that kawasaki changed to a steel camshaft gear in 1998 so I think all Lxi's are free from that affliction. It is my understanding that if the plastic gear fails, you have better than 50% odds that the engine will survive the event without further damage.

I'm making no effort to investigate my Lxi further if that means anything to you. Parts total $400 or so to replace the gear prior to failure if you feel the need.

There is very little plastic on the 5xi's and it's a bit ironic that they chose to make that stupid little "bumper" on the front from plastic. The most vulnerable piece on the whole darn thing, and they use plastic! It's an expensive piece to replace too; seems like I recall it being $75 or more. Thankfully, it is only cosmetic.

Search this forum and you'll find a lot of information on this line of tractors. Use keywords 5xi, xi, and 522. There is very little negative posted.

Generally, the only differences in the models are the engine and whether or not the tractor has power steering. The 518-522xi are all air cooled. The 520lxi is water cooled and the 523dxi is a water cooled diesel. 522xi, 520lxi, and the diesel all have power steering the others are manual.

Great tractors. Good luck.

Steve

• Like 1

wh500special

I forgot to add something: I've read a bit lately where the kohlers (air cooled) have a tendency to clog up with fine chaff inside the engine shrouds. This isn't really a problem with the water cooled kawasaki, but you do need to make sure you keep the radiator screen cleaned out. And periodically you'll have to hose out the radiator fins if you notice the tractor heating up.

Without the it blower housing and shrouds, the kawasaki actually looks small in that engine bay compared to the kohlers.

TSKexcursion

Thanks for all the information from the members. I looked at the unit today. It has a little seepage on the right side of the transaxle, the left was dry. There wasn't any blue smoke during the motor running and it was pretty quite. There didn't seem to be any major leaks in the motor area, it does need a good cleaning.  I didn't get to drive it because the right rear tire was low, the dealer said that they would get it fixed. I will look up the camshaft problem to see where the engine falls. The dealer said it was scheduled to go thru a checkup and service. How easy or difficult to put attachments on it? It has wheel weights, but no chains.

wh500special

I've never had a snow thrower or blower for an xi, so can't comment. But the deck is extremely easy to mount and dismount. In fact, I think it's even easier on the xi than the classic. The hardest part is sliding it under the tractor since it's quite heavy.

It should be fairly obvious how it comes off and goes on once you look have a chance to look it over. The basic dismount routine is to set it to the lowest cutting position, detension the belt by pulling the lever under the front pulley box (no need to turn the knob), open the mid tachamatic hitch, lower to the ground, unlatch the rear lift arms and retract them with the hydraulic lift, cut the steering all the way left, shut engine off, remove the belt from the deck pulley, and slide the deck out. You can then remove the front pulley box after pulling the grill straight off the front.

Mounting is largely the opposite. Use the hydraulics to pull the deck into the mid hitch, otherwise you'll be needlessly fighting it.

It sounds convoluted, but realistically it is a 2 minute process with no smashed fingers once you get used to it. I know I'm faster with deck removal and install on the xi than on my c160, but it's a tight race. I would expect the blower mounts nearly as easily.

If you buy it, just keep an eye on the trans dipstick. Sometimes the leaks are very slight and barely seep out over a long time. If it's slight and you can't pull the hub from the axle it probably isn't much concern. I had a 312 once that spilled oil out as fast as it went in and I think the po ran it that way for years. Usually if you can get the hub off it's an easy, cheap job to do.

Steve

shallowwatersailor

Sounds like you might soon be an owner! I'm glad Steve piped in as he is very knowledgeable on the 520Lxi. As a matter of course, do change all the fluids. A number of members, myself included, are using Mobil 1 10W-30 in the transaxle. It takes 4.5 quarts but check it after you run it as it will take a bit more. It sounds as if it was used like my 520xi which was caked with grass clippings. A good washing with panels removed including the screens (easy to do) should eliminate that. When changing the antifreeze, it might be easier to access the drain plugs from the above on the right side. That is how the radiator is arranged on the diesel.

I ran last year without chains but did have wheel weights and suitcase weights on the back (plus the operator :) .) This year I am back to using rubber chains on the plow 520xi. There wasn't any problem but I do  six neighbors driveways as well and one has a 30-35 degree angle. She sealcoated it twice this summer so it is smooth. I am experimenting with loaded ags and suitcase weights on the diesel 5xi with snowthrower. Hopefully they work.

post-3066-0-47848300-1413421338_thumb.jp

• Like 1

redtractorfan

I'll tell you that I own a 520Lxi with a few attachments and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If anything, I would buy another one if I find one to pop up around my area. My 520Lxi is the one that was rebuilt on YouTube and it is imaged on Toro's Facebook pictures. It is such a powerful machine runs so smoothly. It was probably one of the best Wheel Horse tractors built in my opinion. My dad owns one of the 1991 416s and there is no comparison. The ride, quietness, and sure performance is second to none in this series. Hope you can grab one up! Here is an image of my 520 Lxi from the Toro Facebook page...post-12770-14135842961_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TSKexcursion

Thanks for all the information on the 520Lxi. I am having my sister and brother-in-law look at the tractor. They just recently purchased an acreage and need a tractor for mowing about 2 acres and moving snow. I think that the 520Lxi would be perfect for them. I hate to let it go, but my wife and I talked about it and with a few other bills coming up she doesn't want to spend the cash right now. The good news is that now I get to start searching for another Wheel Horse. Thanks for all the help, it greatly appreicated.