RMCIII

What Will Never Happen Again?

RMCIII

Thouhgt I'd start a thread on something you did at school that will never be allowed again becasue of the state of our conutry is in today. Sort of a wlk down memory lane of sort. Pondering where we were as a country vs. where we are today... What will it take, if it is even possible, to get us back to that once remember ed state.......It could be something outside of school also...think of the freedoms our children do not have today that we had growing up... Why have we allowed these freedoms to slip through our hands? This could be a great read, or it may fall flat.... I'll start, and yes, this was what happened:

It was 1981, I was in 8grade.The teacher gave us an assignment to prepare a speech, on anything you want, that lasted 10 minutes in length. I chose the topic trap shooting. Here is what I brought to school:

(4) Live shot guns rounds. (1) Game load, (1) trap load, (1) Deer slug, and (1) Buck shot load. These were used to demonstrate the difference in types of ammo and what each round was used for. These were all passed around the class room, for everyone to see.

(2) Empty trap loads. (1) That had just been shot the weekend before, (1) that was ready to for the trash can. I used these to discuss what makes a good shell for re-loading and what to look for when a shell should not be used for re-loading any longer. Same here all passed around the classroom.

The final visual item (1) Remington Model 870 pump action 12 gauge shot gun. I offered anyone who wanted to hold or feel the gun, to come up and handle the gun. There were a couple individuals who did step forward.

I wonder if any school would allow that to happen today. I credit my dad for all the time he spent with my sisters and myself on gun safety, handling, cleaning, respect, and what a gun is truly used for. That included the only time to use the gun for defense. < The same lessons my dad taught were exactly the same questions I was asked in a firearms safety course that I took at the age of 11 and passed with a score of 98%.

All my knowledge of guns and gun control started “at homeâ€. My dad took the time to teach us. If you are going to have guns in your home, and you have kids, take the time to teach them about guns. Don’t put the guns in some place that is labeled “tabooâ€. Doing this only peaks a child’s interest because you have told them the gun is not to be touched by them. < Sort of like the don’t touch the stove, it’s hot mentality. Eventually, the child will touch the stove to find out what “hot†means. You are the parent, you chose to have a gun in the house, now do what is right and teach your children about guns. Neglecting to do so, results in the “hot stove†test. There will always be individuals who will seek out crime no matter what is done. But if we do not do our part, then our rights, will be taken and the government will step in. < It’s up to us to make sure we keep our freedoms by teaching our kids what Freedom really means...

• Like 1

rmaynard

Because of the political nature of this thread, I would imagine that it will be removed before it gets too far. This is not related to school, but I remember being able to wait for incoming passengers at the airport where they came off the plane, or see your family member off as they boarded. [emoji35] My grandkids never knew a time when they could fly to Disney World without taking their shoes off and getting patted down just to get on a plane.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

specialwheelhorse

Yep PC is ruling this country.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Some of the things I did in our one room school in the 1950s.   One teacher for grades  1-8.

We listened to the world series  on the  radio during class....pre TV era.

In the spring and fall, we combined our lunch break and recess so we had time to play a baseball game. The teacher was a good pitcher.

The older students helped teach the younger classes. 

Older boys maintained the central coal fired heatrola furnace.

Younger students swept the oiled wood floor and cleaned blackboards and dusted erasers.

I carried a my coon trapping equipment including a 22 pistol to school and checked my 3 mile long line on the way home.  And, no It was not up hill both ways.

The High School was a 17 mile  ride over the highest mountain in Pa., 3000 ' + Mt. Davis.    It was not uncommon to use tire chains for weeks at a time.

We had many dead end pick ups on the 17 mile route and  got stuck many times backing into private lanes.   The 30 + students would off load and push the bus.

We had 4  school sponsored sports  teams  ..Baseball, Basketball,  Football, and the Rifle team.      The NRA taught  a hunter/firearms safety course in school  long before the State required a hunter safety course.

School was always closed the first day of deer season.  This is the Monday after Thanksgiving, and If you showed up for school with a  5-6 day old unshaven face, you were expelled for 3 days and could hunt the rest of the week.

The  GOOD ole DAYS

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Wonder if they still have a smoking lounge in jr/sr high schools?

I remember seeing a bunch of stuff going on in there...

that probably doesn't even raise an eyebrow today.

JC 1965

I can remember in the early 1950's when I was in grade school. All the boys carried pocket knives or some had hunting knives. We had a target drawn on the boys outhouse wall ( we didn't have in indoor plumbing ) We would throw our knives at the target to see who could get closest to the inside circle. The school only had 2 rooms and grades 1 thru 8. Heat was produced by a pot belly coal stove in the center of each room and the boys had to take turns going out to the shed for a bucket of coal when the bucket got empty. We lived 2 miles from the school, long walk in the snow. Them were the good old days !!     :eusa-whistle:  

• Like 3

fireman

My son goes to the the same high/trade school I went to. The smoking lounge is gone "I think that's a good thing even though I did use it when I was there". He runs cross country for the school and there is no late bus so he has to wait till we can get there to pick him up which can be almost a hour. Even though there is a, "yes security guard" at the front desk till 10:00pm, he is not allowed to stay on school property to wait. He has to leave school property and go across the street to the Dunkin Donuts or the shopping center around the corner. We live 2 towns and about 20 miles away. For one we never had any type of security at all. Heck we even had a rifle team which they no longer have. 

I think as a country we are toast! It will never be the same. The one saving grace is there are some places in the USA that have not gone off the deep edge. My brother moved to Great Falls, MT. back in 1982. Have been visiting him ever since. I can tell you that it is pretty much the same as it was back then. Sure it has grown a little and they have modernized some  but no where the levels we see here in the North East.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Keep it above the line and in the spirit of the title and the mods will have no problems with it.

As for things that i did in school that won't happen again, Watching the space shuttle launch in a school assembly!

Via Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Good subject for sure.  I was a Cub Scout in grade school...I always wore my Scout pocket knife on a (like rabbits foot) chain hooked on one of my belt loops.  I probably carried it in Jr High also. 

I rode my bike to school all the way through High School (up hill both ways)...never locked it up (never had a lock to do that) and never had it messed with.  :)

• Like 3

buckrancher

I took my hunters safety course in jr high I all so remember tapping maple trees outside of the school in 1st grade and making maple syrup

Brian

• Like 2

Digger 66

Get leaked off at the guy who stole your girl & punch each others brains out . 

Back then in a couple of hours you licked your wounds & became friends again .

Today , they call the SWAT team / FBI & the commander in chief & lock the school down .

• Like 4

squonk

The "Golden Age" of NASA

Trouty56

Getting to choose the paddle from the principles closet to be corrected with.

Sent from where I am.......

• Like 3

km3h

I went to a Catholic School. If you acted up in school, the Nun would pounce on you and wallop the daylights out of you. On the other hand, If you came to school with a problem, that same Nun would give you a big hug and spend a lot of time helping you get through it. And of course their was prayer and the Pledge Allegiance every morning. We came to school dressed in shirt and tie and the girls wore dresses or skirts. We did not wear uniforms. There was no air conditioning. We walked to school summer and winter rain or snow. We weren't encouraged to fight, but we were allowed to work out our differences without interference but bullies were not tolerated. If we did get into a fight, we were offered Iodine and band aids but there was no punishment in most cases. Boys did not curse in front of girls of any age. I was sixteen the first time I hear a female use the F word. Underwear was a personal garment and dot displayed in public as all pants were worn with a belt and around the waist. Of course I was born in 1936. We grew up during WW2 and watched the movies that had patriotic themes and believed in them. I could go on and on about this subject.

• Like 3

Ken B

I went to a Catholic School. If you acted up in school, the Nun would pounce on you and wallop the daylights out of you. On the other hand, If you came to school with a problem, that same Nun would give you a big hug and spend a lot of time helping you get through it. And of course their was prayer and the Pledge Allegiance every morning. We came to school dressed in shirt and tie and the girls wore dresses or skirts. We did not wear uniforms. There was no air conditioning. We walked to school summer and winter rain or snow. We weren't encouraged to fight, but we were allowed to work out our differences without interference but bullies were not tolerated. If we did get into a fight, we were offered Iodine and band aids but there was no punishment in most cases. Boys did not curse in front of girls of any age. I was sixteen the first time I hear a female use the F word. Underwear was a personal garment and dot displayed in public as all pants were worn with a belt and around the waist. Of course I was born in 1936. We grew up during WW2 and watched the movies that had patriotic themes and believed in them. I could go on and on about this subject.

I went to a Catholic school as well, which just so happens to be located just beyond the back yard of my parents house.. I agree with you 100% on all counts of what you said, that is the way is was when I was there during the 70's and very early 80's I got my hair pulled out plenty by my first grade teacher who was of course a Nun.. I can still remember to this day telling my Mom and Dad about it and the first thing my Dad said was what did you do to deserve that? When I finally gave in and told him I saw steam coming out of his ears for a second or two and my mom quickly blurted out no dessert after dinner for a week! (I think mom saw the steam as well) I should have just kept my mouth shut but looking back I deserved the missed desserts and the hair pullins,(watchin 6 brothers and sisters enjoying their ice cream after dinner kinda sucked!)  I should have stopped throwing the broken Crayola crayon's across the class room after my second warning! (I have no idea why that was so much fun but it was!) Sadly there are no Nun teacher's there anymore, only the principle is a Nun. I'll be the first to admit that I got into my fair share of trouble in school, the nuns never snitched on me to my Dad who they knew personally as he is a Deacon at the church... Big old school German guy, it would not have gone well for me. Looking back I think they must have known that or Nuns don't snitch. If I got in trouble at school it was handled in house, and that wasn't pretty either... Good times...

• Like 3

squonk

I went to a Catholic school too. There were no hugs. If you couldn't write as neat as the girls you had to stay after school. If you had trouble understanding something you were made a fool of. You had to eat all of your food no mater how disgusting it was. When you went out for lunch in the winter if you put your hand in the snow you were accused of throwing snowballs. If a bully beat you up or threw your homework into a mud puddle it was your fault. Worse 6 years of my life. Glad it closed

• Like 1

RMCIII

All great reading material... I like the PA stories...... Man, you guys were lucky to have NRA teach the course...... I had to go to the local police station.. Still was a great expierence taking the course..... Then getting to shoot my rifle and scoring bulleyes each time I squeezed the trigger..... You were allowed to also talk about guns in school. Now days, if someone even suspects that you have a thought of a gun, you are brought before the authorities and asked 100 questions......

Rob

km3h

How many of you know what "Union Hardware #5" is?

• Like 1

JC 1965

My Father died when I was 4, so my brother ( 10 years older than me ) taught my hunter safety course when I was 8. He had me carry an unloaded shotgun all through hunting season and he would thump me on the head every time I did something wrong. Then explain in a loud voice what I did wrong, Like when I would stand the gun up against a tree when we took a break or try to cross a fence with the gun in my hands or accidentally point the gun at him when walking etc. etc. The next year I started hunting with a loaded gun but he still kept a close eye on me. He taught me well. We enjoyed many years of hunting together until his death in 2002.

KC9KAS

il_570xN.641578646_5dt3.jpg

• Like 3

JC 1965

Union Hardware #5,   I busted my $$$ on them more times than I can count.    :banghead:

KC9KAS

In 7th or 8th grade our health teacher (basket ball coach.....coaches couldn't do anything else) gave me and another fellow a paddling. Cracked the board on me and it broke into pieces on my buddy.

This will not take place today, as a parent would have a fit.....I actually got a worse whipping when I got home!

Then some 10 years later this teacher was on my front porch trying to sell me insurance.

I told him I didn't like him in school, and I sure didn't like him now, and he better get off my property. That was my only satisfaction.

• Like 1

km3h

il_570xN.641578646_5dt3.jpg

There were a lot of imitations, but only one Union Hardware #5. Someone showed up with something else after Christmas, and we all just laughed. No helmet, no knee pads and no special gloves. Just lots of scrapes and bruises and more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

stevasaurus

This stuff brings back a lot of memories...some good and some bad.  I had the pleasure of getting made fun of, in 1st grade, because I held the pencil in the wrong hand.  The teacher kept taking it out of my left hand and forcing it into my right.  I am still a true left hander, but I found out a couple of years ago (when I fractured my left wrist) that I could still sign my name with my right hand.  I guess I should thank her for that.  :)

• Like 3