cruisnblue48

Building a 1961 hot rod tractor

AMC RULES

Dig the paint.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Geno

This aughtta be cool.  :text-woo:

19richie66

I like the front wheel & tire set up and the black looks good.Nothing wrong with a hot rod!

Sean Keys

I just bought a 1960 that looks like that did. Its pretty rough. I don't know what I will do with it. Hopefully restore it.

51Chevy

This is my suburban rat rod I put a high and lo trans in it did a pully swap and I changed the exhaust since this picture. And I also put airhorns and cragars on it.

post-11056-0-76295600-1414458331_thumb.p

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  As seen here, opposite Dave's "Wildfire"...

which were both featured in Wild Bill's first annual, 2014   :wh: Crackle fest.   :text-woo:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 8

Ken B

Cool video Craig.. I saw my son on his Suburban hanging around the Crackle Fest.. Oh, and I caught Ole Stevebo ridin around on a cute little Lawn Ranger...

AMC RULES

Yep, and the little Stevebo(Brendon).     :popcorn: 

I forgot our Neil, and Wallfish(John)were in there too. 

• Like 1

Geno

There's a lot of cool tractors in that vid.  :text-woo: 

AMC RULES

Yeah...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

cuz they're all  :wh:

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

51chevy, I really like your suburban rat rod. For some reason, these Wheel Horse Suburbans really look sharp as hot rod versions. Another one that caught my eye at the Big Show was this purple Suburban...

post-5879-0-25642200-1414499824_thumb.jp

I apologize for not remembering who owns this one, but I'm leaning towards painting the sheet metal on mine in candy apple red. Wonder what Cecil and Elmer Pond thought of their old horses being turned into hot rod tractors.  :eusa-think:  Does anyone know???

• Like 2

neil

Great vid Craig , & you managed to get me in the vid shaking your hand

• Like 1

51Chevy

Candy red would look cool, one day that's how I want to build one and with pearl white rims.... To now with my new exhaust it has a muffler but I want to put a chrome straight pipe on it. What are you doing for rear rims?

Pullstart

I like that onan powered round hood with the wide front!  anyone have any info on that creation?

Jparkes43

This wI'll be awesome

James

squonk

All I know is you guys were making so much noise that I had a tough time trying to buy a tractor!  :angry-tappingfoot: Nothing like not being able to hear if the engine had a knock!  :)

cruisnblue48

Getting back on my 1961 hot rod tractor build. Just got the 5007 transaxle disassembled. Not pretty inside the case.  It's no wonder everything was locked up, lots of hardened gunk stuck in the gear teeth. This is my first transaxle tear down so I am hoping this will all clean up good with no major part failures discovered.

WP_001861.jpg

WP_002232.jpg

WP_002233.jpg

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
:blink:  YUK! 

mels

Man, what are you talking about?  That'll buff right out!

RedRanger

Looks like the Titanic.

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

I know this is a year old thread, but I want to continue the rebuild history here rather than start a new topic thread. Ok, I am getting the itch to get back on my hot rod project after having it sit most of the summer. Going to look at some 14" Cragar wheels tomorrow. I have been seriously thinking about "stretching" this frame about 4". I am thinking that with larger than normal rear wheels and tires on my Suburban, I would have more space for a "larger" engine having more horse power:auto-dirtbike:   and also give it a cooler looking stance being when it gets transformed into a hot rod tractor.

So, my question is... Have any of you Wheel Horse junkies ever "stretched" the frame on a Suburban? What does yours look like? Where would be the best place to put the splice in the frame? Is 4" too much, not enough, just right? Need to know if anyone else had done this before I put a saw to frame rails.

Edited by cruisnblue48
  • Like 2

Brian01

How big of a engine you wanting to out on it? I don't know bout suburbans, but I have an RJ58 that I put an 8hp Briggs on, fit right on and bolted up, no problem...if you're looking for "faster" just change your pulleys. I personally wouldnt stretch the frame on one, in case one day "someone" wants to take it back to original. :twocents-02cents:

Edited by Brian01

cruisnblue48

Thanks for the response, Brian. I'd like to get up to maybe 10-14 hp in there... haven't found the engine I want yet.  I wouldn't do this to a perfectly "good" 1961 Wheel Horse, of course. This particular tractor was left in the woods for dead and she was in really, really poor condition when I saved her. There was so much to "fix" with what I started with. It took me two years after I bought it to decide that I would rather rebuild it into something different "one of a kind" than your typical Suburban. Besides, after I get done with it, no one will ever dare to want to restore it to "original" condition, ha! :banana-wrench:

Edited by cruisnblue48

Brian01

lol its your baby, you rock it. Can't wait to see all the pic's!