Dhodge

RJ?

Dhodge

I just spoke with an 84 year old gentleman on the phone that used to be a Case and Wheel Horse dealer.  He told me he has a 1952 wheel horse with the motor between your legs.  I said you mean a 1955 and he said know a 1952.  I stated that the first rideaway's were built in 55 and they are called RJ-35's.  He insists that it is a 1952.  I am think it may be a 552 Suburban or is it possible it could be a Pond stamped 1952 RJ?  Anybody!!!  I'm going to go take a look on Monday.

tsmall07

Probably not worth the effort. You should give me the guy's name and phone number so I can set him straight.

Geno

Good luck with that.   :laughing-rolling:

Firpo701

Interesting...keep us posted. I'm curious as to what it "actually" is. :-)

Edited by Firpo701

WH nut

Where is it at, maybe I could look at it for you and save you some miles. :snooty:  :laughing-rofl:

wallfish

He just isn't clear on the year. A 552 is a front engine tractor. You'd be surprised how many people think the RJs are from the 40s

Dhodge

I'm guessing its a Suburban. I have found it pays to check into these things. I will keep everyone posted

neil

I am guessing its a 1962 not a 52 , either way go get it

• Like 1

Hammerhead

I'd go look at it and buy it no matter what year it is. I've bought a few WH's from people who say they are this year or that year but they clearly forgot what year they bought it. Even when I've told them what year the machine is, they don't except it. It's probably a RJ35 if you are lucky so better  get going before some body else snags it! Good luck with it and let's see some pics soon!

SPINJIM

I agree with Neil;  it's probably a 1962.  I've talked to 2 different sellers who were off by 10 years because they wanted to believe it was older than it really was.   Let us know if you find out.

Jim

Coadster32

Wallfish said it right...1962's had the motor up front, not between your legs, (nut roaster). I'm sure he has the year wrong, but definitely worth checking out. Now go and get it!! :beer:

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:    :handgestures-thumbsup:

:wwp:

cruisnblue48

My guess is it could be a late 1961 model 551 Suburban that he maybe picked up early in 1962... a '61 with one of those new old stock replacement hoods with the '62 front grill slots like this one that I bought about a year ago...

post-5879-0-56437300-1412455988_thumb.jp

But, if it really is a 1952 Wheel Horse, I want a piece of that as well... could be one extremely rare horse, indeed!

Edited by cruisnblue48

bmsgaffer

I think we are all anxiously awaiting...  :text-worthless:

Dhodge

Well I went to take a peek tonight and it was not a 1952 as the gentleman had thought. It was a 1960 Suburban 400. It was however all original and complete with the original K-90 on it and a functioning mower deck. It was a very, very nice original, however I think the nice man wants a little more than I was willing to pay, especially since I have 6 or 7 60-61 Suburbans. I did make him an offer of $500.00 at which he said no way he would sell it for that and I don't blame him.

I believe I will be dealing with him on a nice Suburban hood, fenders and tool box and possibly two Techy 6 h.p. motors with electric start, complete. Possibly some other items. Well worth the visit. I learned along time ago that it pays to investigate.

Sorry to disappoint, but I did not find some mystical rare pond unit we all was hoping for.

Denny

Edited by Dhodge
  • Like 2

Geno

Sounds like it worked out for good.  :handgestures-thumbsup: