whfan74

New Horse Hauler

whfan74

Well dad and I need another project like we need a hole in our head but what the heck, you only live once!  This past Sunday we finally made the trip over in to Ohio to pick up our new Wheel Horse Hauler.

We grabbed ourselves a 1953 Ford F500.  This is the last year for the flathead V8 and it sports a 4 speed tranny with a top speed of about 48 mph.  The truck has the 12 foot script flat bed on the back and the wood is still pretty solid.  Everything works as it should minus the cab lights.  Those need to be rewired which will happen down the road.  All 6 tires are in great shape and it has minimal rust issues.....it has some but nothing too crazy.  The previous owner believes the odometer to be correct at 42K original miles.

We are currently experiencing an overheating issue which I believe a few radiator flushes will cure.  The thermostat seems to be working fine as it won't overheat at an idle.

The future of this truck will be..............well that is to be determined.  Right now we are going to enjoy it and gather up some things to make it a bit better.  This will be a local swap meet and show hauler.  Not wanting to travel too far with it as it isn't going to win any races.  :)

Here it is.......

post-919-0-02639300-1410956211.jpg

post-919-0-77951000-1410956211.jpg

post-919-0-24089800-1410956212.jpg

post-919-0-93645900-1410956212.jpg

post-919-0-67766400-1410956213.jpg

post-919-0-55516200-1410956214.jpg

post-919-0-14798800-1410956215.jpg

post-919-0-99456900-1410956215.jpg

post-919-0-72037300-1410956216.jpg

• Like 7

Geno

Now that will haul some Horses!  I can't believe the mileage!  :text-woo:

• Like 1

octfst

might not win any races. But will look good hauling horses. Nice truck Scott.

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

PAINT IT RED.......

• Like 2

Geno

Yeah, 2 tone red + ivory with stainless simulators and stacks.   :text-woo:

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

JimD

Love the older trucks. I've wanted a '48-'51 since I was about 11 or 12 years old. My Uncle next door had one and let me drive it around the yard. Then one day coming back from town he let me drive on our road the rest of the way home. I was  :naughty:   in high cotton that day.. :ychain: Red would look awesome on that ride! :thumbs:

• Like 2

CasualObserver

I think I like original colors better.... less to distract from the Wheel Horses that will be on the back of it!  The bright red would be a great contrast against the truck and really stand out! :thumbs:

• Like 2

whfan74

I think I like original colors better.... less to distract from the Wheel Horses that will be on the back of it!  The bright red would be a great contrast against the truck and really stand out! :thumbs:

Jason,

I was thinking the same thing.  I think both would "pop" with contrasting colors.  Plus the seat is still in really great shape on the truck......save me some pennies there once we get around to redoing it.

We still have a lot of time before we even tackle something of that magnitude if that is the route we decide on. 

I honestly would like to fix the spots that need repair and keep the original patina.  Clean up the rims a bit and put some elbow grease in to the bed and call it good. 

• Like 1

Geno

You guys may be right.  Guess I got too excited there for a minute.  :eusa-doh:

Ken B

That truck is awesome Scott! No doubt that is the original mileage on the odometer. I'd leave it just the way it is myself but do everything you said in your last post. Way back in the 80's I worked for an electrical company in town. All of their trucks were very old and they had a few just like yours. They were all in good shape, restored in house with nice new red paint on most of them with hand brushed lettering and old school pinstripes. The old guy that did the lettering was an artist! I used to drive the oldies there all the time, I will say you don't wanna get to close to that top speed for long durations or bottom end go kaboomie...  Stick to the back roads and enjoy the ride. The owners son blew the engine in the 53 F-500 bucket truck in a hurry to get back to the shop and sadly that was the end of that truck. 

• Like 1